PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprint Security?

Harold Gough
11th April 2019, 10:49 AM
Be warned:

https://www.grahamcluley.com/the-samsung-galaxy-s10s-ultrasonic-fingerprint-scanner-is-hacked/

Harold

shenstone
11th April 2019, 06:27 PM
it reminds me of the issues with this fingerprint protected device

Unbreakable smart lock devastated to discover screwdrivers exist...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/15/taplock_broken_screwdriver/

MJ224
11th April 2019, 06:54 PM
Not sure why the Boffs thought a finger print was secure. We all have unique Fingerprints (or so they say) but we leave them around in so many places. Hardly secure...............

Jim Ford
11th April 2019, 07:16 PM
There was the case where a wife suspected her husband of having an affair, and used his finger to unlock his phone while he was asleep during an aircraft journey.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
11th April 2019, 08:46 PM
I don't think the fingerprint data from our electronic devices is anything like as detailed as the prints taken by police.

I have a fingerprint reader on the laptop I am using now, but it doesn't work if my fingers are very dry or if I have just been in the shower or helped with the dishes. It is a convenience feature but certainly not infallible. Likewise facial recognition I would imagine.

I also wonder about spoken passwords used by some banks for telephone banking nowadays, ("my voice is my password").

Harold Gough
12th April 2019, 05:11 AM
I have a fingerprint reader on the laptop I am using now, but it doesn't work if my fingers are very dry or if I have just been in the shower or helped with the dishes. It is a convenience feature but certainly not infallible. Likewise facial recognition I would imagine.

Does your face change when you take a shower? :D

Harold

Phill D
12th April 2019, 07:32 AM
Turned mine off on my old S7 as it was too annoying when it wouldn't work which was all too often.

Jim Ford
12th April 2019, 10:28 AM
Both face recognition and fingerprint work pretty well on my Xioami Redmi Note 4.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
12th April 2019, 12:02 PM
Does your face change when you take a shower? :D

Harold

Probably yes. I'm sure it also changes after an overnight transatlantic flight. :rolleyes:

My point is, these technologies are not infallible and I am sure could be fooled.

Wee man
14th April 2019, 08:41 AM
Nigel surprised that you do not use marigolds ( other gloves are available) when doing the dishes! Maybe you do and the reader fails because you have forgotten to take them off?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pandora
15th April 2019, 09:47 AM
Password/ fingerprint security paranoia is rife. Personally I have none on my phone and should I lose it then so what?
It contains no sensitive info. Sure, somebody could access my email and read lots of boring stuff.
They might also manage to steal my ID but they would have little if anything to gain by so doing. *shrug

Furthermore I advocate that all passwords and security measures should be universally banned, resulting in security anarchy.
Just think how marvelous that would be. It would serve to make politicians honest (contradiction in terms, I agree).
The implications would be far reaching, 'you pry into mine and I'll pry into yours' - if implemented, what a great leveler it would be.

Disclaimer: I am sometimes prone to a little nonsense.

Jax
15th April 2019, 10:26 AM
Password/ fingerprint security paranoia is rife. Personally I have none on my phone and should I lose it then so what?
It contains no sensitive info. Sure, somebody could access my email and read lots of boring stuff.
They might also manage to steal my ID but they would have little if anything to gain by so doing. *shrug

Furthermore I advocate that all passwords and security measures should be universally banned, resulting in security anarchy.
Just think how marvelous that would be. It would serve to make politicians honest (contradiction in terms, I agree).
The implications would be far reaching, 'you pry into mine and I'll pry into yours' - if implemented, what a great leveler it would be.

Disclaimer: I am sometimes prone to a little nonsense.

It would indeed be a great leveler. Additionally, it would be a source of untold wealth for the divorce lawyers and no doubt overload the court system well into the foreseeable future. :D

Jax