PDA

View Full Version : fingerprint / smudge on inside of LCD screen

PaulE
2nd April 2009, 05:38 PM
Having been borrowing my E410 for quite a while and being very impressed with the pictures compared with her compact my brothers girlfriend decided to buy an E410 twin lens kit exactly the same as I started with. Anyway she found a pretty good deal on Ebay and got the lot for 240 delivered and it arrived today with only just over 2000 shutter releases :).

Anyway after having a very brief look at it it appears to be in good condition but for a few fingerprints on the back side of the LCD screen cover, obviously the previous owner has had the plastic lcd cover off at some point but didn't think about cleaning it before putting it back on :rolleyes: It's not a major problem of course as they only show in certain light / angles but none the less it would be nice to get rid of them, does anyone here know how the LCD covers are fixed to the camera and whether it is possible to remove, clean and re-fit it?

EH1
2nd April 2009, 06:01 PM
Having been borrowing my E410 for quite a while and being very impressed with the pictures compared with her compact my brothers girlfriend decided to buy an E410 twin lens kit exactly the same as I started with. Anyway she found a pretty good deal on Ebay and got the lot for 240 delivered and it arrived today with only just over 2000 shutter releases :).

Anyway after having a very brief look at it it appears to be in good condition but for a few fingerprints on the back side of the LCD screen cover, obviously the previous owner has had the plastic lcd cover off at some point but didn't think about cleaning it before putting it back on :rolleyes: It's not a major problem of course as they only show in certain light / angles but none the less it would be nice to get rid of them, does anyone here know how the LCD covers are fixed to the camera and whether it is possible to remove, clean and re-fit it?This might sound stupid (but here goes anyway) but are you sure it has not got an LCD screen protector stuck on the screen & that the finger print is not on the reverse side of that?

PaulE
2nd April 2009, 06:12 PM
This might sound stupid (but here goes anyway) but are you sure it has not got an LCD screen protector stuck on the screen & that the finger print is not on the reverse side of that?

Not stupid at all EH1 you have a very good point / question to which I don't know the answer yet. Common sense says that it could well be the case. TBH I didn't handle the camera myself earlier today as my hands were covered in cement at the time but I could see the problem when the camera was held up for me to look at. I didn't even consider one of them stick on protectors at all :o. When I get to have a play with it later this evening I'll be able to take a much closer look... Thanks for the suggestion, if it turns out to be the case then that will be a bonus :)

PaulE
2nd April 2009, 09:59 PM
Right just got to have a good look and unfortunately it's not due to a screen protector etc, It looks very much like a smudge / fingerprint on the surface of the lcd itself not the back side of the plastic lcd protector / cover.

The plastic protection panel has definately been out of the camera at some point as I could see a small hair trapped in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Apart from a small 5mm or so scratch on the bottom left of the plastic panel I can't see any significant marks which might suggest that the camera has been dropped causing the panel to pop out etc so don't really know why or how it has been taken out and replaced poorly

A few very quick pics showing the problem...

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/lcd1.jpg
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/lcd2.jpg

Obviously I tried to make it more obvious by positioning a light, and of course it shows up alot less against the lighter background whilst in use. It almost looks like someone has had a go at the surface of the lcd with some sandpaper in the photos but I'm pretty sure looking at it that it is just a greasy finger print.

I haven't messed with it at all yet but it looks like the screen protection panel is simple snap fit in the body? or does someone know otherwise? with a bit of care it may well come out in which case maybe if it is just a simple fingerprint it would come off with a gentle rub with a micro fibre cloth etc. Anyway It'll have to wait for a bit though it's going on holdiay for a week in a few days time and it's not a big enough problem to risk putting it out of action so I'm told - they have no faith in me :rolleyes:)

EH1
3rd April 2009, 12:01 PM
Yes something has certainly happened to it! I would`nt try popping it out as these screens easily crack! (and is probably the reason the person your sister-in-law bought the camera from did`nt try to sort out the problem). Has she asked the seller for an explanation? (at least if we knew why it was like that we would have a better idea how to tackle the problem), but I strongly advise you not to try & pop the screen off without getting a replacement 1st!

PaulE
3rd April 2009, 12:39 PM
Yes something has certainly happened to it! I would`nt try popping it out as these screens easily crack! (and is probably the reason the person your sister-in-law bought the camera from did`nt try to sort out the problem). Has she asked the seller for an explanation? (at least if we knew why it was like that we would have a better idea how to tackle the problem), but I strongly advise you not to try & pop the screen off without getting a replacement 1st!

She is awaiting a reply on that as far as I know and I will be as interested as anyone to know why the screen protector was ever out of the camera. To be fair other than that the camera seems to be in very good almost as new condition and for the price really it isn't a big deal. I think I might well send Olympus tech support an email to ask their advice and availabilty of a replacement screen protector should the worst happen and will go from there.

Thanks Again
Paul.

Ian
3rd April 2009, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be happy with that unless you were informed about it before you bought it. If yourweren't, I'd ask for your money back.

Ian

Ellie
3rd April 2009, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't be happy with that unless you were informed about it before you bought it. If you weren't, I'd ask for your money back.

Ian
I agree with Ian. There's no way I'd accept that as reasonable, the damage should have been declared in the description. If you have to pay for repair it'll make the camera seriously overpriced.

It looks as if there's a deeper (white) scratch at the lower left edge of the screen, which might mean the camera has been dropped - which could explain why the rear screen has been off. If so, there could be more internal damage, that would only be discovered once it's been opened.

If the seller won't pay for the repair or give you a full refund you'll need to open a dispute and get Ebay and/or Paypal to sort it out. You've got pictures of the fault as proof. Opening a dispute is an awkward thing to have to do, but power sellers, for example, do it often and think nothing of it.

theMusicMan
4th April 2009, 07:26 AM
Hi Paul, I totally agree with Ellie and Ian here - you should open a dialogue with the seller and see what they have to say. You could suggest two options, (1) that they cover the cost of repair or (2) you want a full refund.

I am certain ebay/paypal would support you here as the goods are, though in working order, clearly damaged and you were not informed of said damage prior to purchase.

Let us know how you get on.

After thought: Hmmmmm, thinking about it... if the fingerprint/smudge is on the rear of the glass cover, then this simply must imply that the glass has at some point, been removed. I wonder how difficult removing the glass cover is...? Perhaps contact Olympus support and ascertain. If it is straightforward, and with minimal risk, then this could be an easy option.

PaulE
4th April 2009, 09:57 AM
After thought: Hmmmmm, thinking about it... if the fingerprint/smudge is on the rear of the glass cover, then this simply must imply that the glass has at some point, been removed. I wonder how difficult removing the glass cover is...? Perhaps contact Olympus support and ascertain. If it is straightforward, and with minimal risk, then this could be an easy option.

Thats exactly what I've thinking TBH, for the sake of a simple clean it would be back pretty much as new and there wouldn't be any hassle at all. I will get an email off to Olympus and see what they say although I guess they are more likely to suggest to send it in for repair rather than advise on a DIY repair.

The buyer is still awaiting an explanation from the seller, hopefully there should be a response today. I agree with the idea that he should have at least mentioned it but the description was "Excellent condition, only 1 year old" which apart from the fingerprint and the tiny scratch would have been accurate. Anyway will see what the response is and go from there. Will keep you all updated...

photo_owl
4th April 2009, 11:00 AM
late to this thread but I have to say I am surprised that the 'glass cover' was removed, or came off, in the first place.

looking at mine I can't see it as a removable component - but then again I suppose anything is removable with enough determination.

MarkVarley
4th April 2009, 11:46 AM
The glass cover (which is plastic) could well be easy enough to remove as it'll be mostly held on with an adhesive, however if additional adhesive was applied when it was refitted then there is no way of telling how easy it'll be to remove this time.

Olympus won't tell you how easy it is to remove, infact olympus will simply suggest that it be returned to them.

Looking at the photo there is clearly a mark on the body where something has been inserted between the body and the screen, this is most likely how it was removed (there is also a small scratch on the screen where said 'something' has slipped).

If it were mine I'd be trying to insert somehting very thin and plastic such as a case-removal-tool and see if any movement can easily be gained with the screen, if it looks like it'll come away easily with the tool then I'd open it and clean it, if not I'd live with it. All assuming that you get no joy from the seller and that olympus don't have an attack of obscene generosity and offer to fix it for you for free.

Archphoto
4th April 2009, 12:11 PM
The same here.

I have the E410 for a year now and never had any problems with it.
I took a look at mine and the only reason the screen would fall out by itself would be if it had a knock to the body.
I would inspect the entire camera with a magnifying glass and look if you can see any signs of it have been dropped or what ever.

Check the focus aswell and enlarge a good picture on your screen to 100% and go from edge to edge. That pic should be taken on 10Mpix and SHQ.

Peter
Prof. photographer
Repairman analogue

photo_owl
4th April 2009, 06:46 PM
good summary Mark

PaulE
27th May 2009, 02:25 PM
While I'm in the process of re-visting old threads and bringing them to conclusion I remembered this thread...

Really this problem has turned out to have a happy ending, shortly after the camera returned from holiday I tried carefully to prise the screen out with the corner of a plastic ruler to save causing damage / scratches etc, anyway I failed and not wanting to make things worse we decided that she would have to put up with the smudge or send it to Olympus for repair.... However, the very next day the camera was left in it's black padded bag outside in the sun for a few hours, this must have warmed the glue up a little and when my brother knocked the camera (only slightly too) whilst placing it on a table the screen popped straight out. They used a lens cloth to wipe the smudge off before popping the screen back in and the problem was solved and the LCD cover is once again stuck fast as if its never been out :).

And just to show that whatever caused the screen to pop out the first time didn't cause any other problems - a few pictures my brothers girlfriend has managed with that camera since getting it...

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/amy1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15578)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/amy2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15579)

As far as I can see it's been the best possible outcome...
Thanks to all those who offered advice in this thread.
Paul.