PDA

View Full Version : Some SATNAVs May Stop working Today

Harold Gough
6th April 2019, 12:00 PM
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/02/14/0041206/your-gps-devices-may-stop-working-on-april-6-if-you-dont-or-cant-update-firmware

Harold

Otto
6th April 2019, 12:18 PM
Ah, the Millennium Bug strikes again!

TimP
6th April 2019, 12:24 PM
Sat-Nav? What’s this strange talk? Does everyone not use their phones?

Saying that, I think Tom-Tom takes a lot of beating.

Jim Ford
6th April 2019, 12:57 PM
Doesn't matter - we'll soon be able to use the superior European system (errm, wait a minute)!

Jim

Tram
6th April 2019, 01:02 PM
Have to check ours, its a built in TomTom, so hope its not affected

Otto
6th April 2019, 01:14 PM
I would have expected, given the Millennium Bug experience, that any SatNav manufactured after about 1999 would have correction for this built in. My oldest one, a Garmin Foretrex, would have been made after 2000. I'll check it out later.

Gwyver
6th April 2019, 03:57 PM
I would have expected, given the Millennium Bug experience, that any SatNav manufactured after about 1999 would have correction for this built in. My oldest one, a Garmin Foretrex, would have been made after 2000. I'll check it out later.

Otto,
This (very brief!) article from Garmin gives an update on the affect of the 6th April changes on Garmin GPSs. It looks as though it should at least continue to provide accurate positions - although if you use the tracklog file this may report the wrong date/time.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=zWQY6Z2kFiAuY9kDnDBgZ6

Otto
6th April 2019, 04:16 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll wait a day or two (until it's April 7 everywhere!) and then see what time it says it is.

It's currently showing the correct time but I can't find a way to get it to display the date. It does have an option to "Stop Time" though which I can see might be useful!

MJ224
6th April 2019, 06:54 PM
I remember several years ago, I was sailing from Milford Haven back to Swansea. The Coast Guard told us that the Military were carrying out a GPS jamming exercise during that day. So I reckoned I could navigate home, as Swansea was the about the 7th bay on the left, or port if you are really nautical!!

Anyway, the exercise was obviously a failure, as the GPS took me home down to the last few metres...……., and I lost count of the bays anyway...…….*chr

Naughty Nigel
6th April 2019, 07:42 PM
There was talk about the Russians interfering with European navigation satellites a few days ago.

Internaut
6th April 2019, 11:21 PM
Have to check ours, its a built in TomTom, so hope its not affected

“Tom Tom, what do I do?”
“In 200 meters turn left and throw yourself over the cliff.”

I’m convinced some Tom Tom users are part of a cult...

Otto
7th April 2019, 08:54 AM
I was in Aylesbury a year or two back and the sat nav told me to take the third exit from the roundabout. Which I thought was odd as I was approaching quite possibly the only major junction in Aylesbury where there is NOT a roundabout and hasn't been for donkeys' years (I used to live near Aylesbury) so it was a mapping error rather than an out of date map. I have come across several more errors while I've had the car. It's standard fitment but I believe it's a Tom Tom. The Garmin stand-alone one I used to have was a lot more reliable.

Harold Gough
7th April 2019, 09:02 AM
I believe it's a Tom Tom.

You're supposed to hit it rapidly and rhythmically with both hands! :D

Harold