PDA

View Full Version : E3 focus fault AFTER Oly service repair

jdal
2nd April 2009, 07:44 AM
I sent my E3 in to Oly service to (a) have a failed attempt to install 1.3 firmware and (b) have a viewfiender tilt corrected. This camera is over 12 months old and has never had focus problems. Now it's back from service with "new top cover and cleaned and checked", the autofocus is virtually useless. I use centre point with normal size in S-AF mode. When it tries to lock focus on any subject, about half of the time it hunts with small adjustments and then gives the focus confirmation but it's clearly wildly OOF - you can see it in the viewfinder. This happens with the small size focus point as well.

Anyone seen this behaviour?

Dogcow
2nd April 2009, 08:30 AM
Just a short answer: send it back.

Obviously it was the repair attempt which caused this issues.

Ian
2nd April 2009, 09:16 AM
I'll flag this with Olympus UK (one of the reasons for Olympus UK asking me to set this site up for them was to identify and assist in issues like this).

Ian

jdal
2nd April 2009, 10:06 AM
Just a short answer: send it back.

Obviously it was the repair attempt which caused this issues.

Yeah, it's a real bummer. Apart from the 12 or so to send it off, it's another 4-6 weeks without the E3. And then what won't work when it comes back?

jdal
2nd April 2009, 10:08 AM
I'll flag this with Olympus UK (one of the reasons for Olympus UK asking me to set this site up for them was to identify and assist in issues like this).

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll get onto the dealer (Park Cameras) now. They were pretty good at handling the previous return.

jdal
27th May 2009, 03:02 PM
Just to reincarnate this thread with an update. I got the cam back from Oly and it's not hopeless, but it STILL back-focusses.

Using the "Tim Jackson" focus chart downloaded from the web, I took shots with the 14-54 and the 12-60 lenses and on the E1 and E3, wide open and at the shortest focal length. The shots were taken indoors on a solid tripod, on a 2 sec timer, at 45 degrees to the chart.
The E3 shots were back focussed, worse on the 12060 I think. The E1 was spot on on both lenses.

Here is a 100% crop of the E3 12-60 shot:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/E3_12-60_crop.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15581)

jdal
8th August 2009, 04:45 PM
A final update on this focus saga, it looks like the focussing is now as good as it was before the firmware upgade disaster:).

I have no intention of trying the focus chart out again, I'm happy with the images and that'll do for me.

ringneck
8th August 2009, 08:23 PM
So on 27th march it was no good and now it's O.K.
Did it right itself...
..the reason i ask is i have the problem that I have seen highlighted on here,(which I cannot find now),where the focus just keeps coming forward and ends on minimum length....I have to switch off and it goes out to max and I can try again......it is intermittent but today it was virtually hopeless.

Hope your prob is fixed permanently.
Keith*chr

jdal
8th August 2009, 08:58 PM
It seemed ok when I got it back from Oly the third time. I'll be very wary about firmware updates in future. I haven't had the problem you describe, have you tried a good clean of the contacts?

ringneck
8th August 2009, 09:43 PM
It seemed ok when I got it back from Oly the third time. I'll be very wary about firmware updates in future. I haven't had the problem you describe, have you tried a good clean of the contacts?

Cheers...yes and various other things...just going to search for that thread.

Keith*chr