PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Technical Breakthroughs - forecast

wornish
29th March 2019, 05:36 PM
Some very thought-provoking stuff in this article in Wired UK

I probably won't see much of what they think will happen but its certainly changing faster and faster each day.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/hay-festival-2019-technology-science-breakthrough

TimP
29th March 2019, 06:16 PM
It’s a lot of reading, why couldn’t they do a summary / tldr: thing?? I gave up partway through when I spotted the article earlier on the Apple News app.

wornish
29th March 2019, 10:04 PM
It’s a lot of reading, why couldn’t they do a summary / tldr: thing?? I gave up partway through when I spotted the article earlier on the Apple News app.

It's not a tweet it is the original article. Apple and many others simply linked to it, great added value - ... err ... not.
Anything worth reading takes some effort from the reader.
Do you expect everything to be reduced to a tweet?
Sorry to be blunt but .......

TimP
30th March 2019, 07:29 AM
Never mentioned a tweet, no idea where that’s come from I’m afraid. I gave up reading what looked exactly like your link.

wornish
30th March 2019, 08:16 AM
Here is an example of whats just around the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=5iV_hB08Uns

TimP
30th March 2019, 08:21 AM
Been back to it, read it all and think it’s mostly twaddle.

TimP
30th March 2019, 08:24 AM
Here is an example of whats just around the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=5iV_hB08Uns

How is that futuristic? Itís just a development of existing tech and yet another think likely to put a manual worker out of a job. Clever, Iíll grant you but only a better version of whatís already out there in warehouses around the world.

wornish
30th March 2019, 08:25 AM
Been back to it, read it all and think it’s mostly twaddle.

You might be right some of it is a bit far out, but what if they are even 20% correct? Technology is advancing at increasing rates.

TimP
30th March 2019, 08:39 AM
You might be right some of it is a bit far out, but what if they are even 20% correct? Technology is advancing at increasing rates.

Iím sure they will be and youíre right it is but from reading a couple of them I think they perhaps need to look elsewhere before say, extending lifespans well into 100+. Far too many social issues to address first.
There was a comment that Ďflying on a gas guzzling 747 wont make you happyí well, sorry but for me it will as all my flights are about enjoyment, if youíre flying for work then maybe there are other ways to do it but if I want to get to Baja to see blue whales then Iím going to make the very best of that flight and Iím going to travel on a boat when there and possibly get to that boat in a car. Same idea with a planned trip to Alaska, so yes Iím going to enjoy those flights before I run out of time and I feel sorry for a coming generation that canít enjoy such experiences simply because the rest of of us wanted fruit and veg out of season so it gets flown from around the world (OK, so a flippant argument in part)