PDA

View Full Version : They're Going to Build a Wall

Harold Gough
29th March 2019, 09:17 AM
The Environment Agency is currently having surveys done on the local Thames flood plain. In recent years, some roads and homes on the flood plain have been flooded.

The plain is to build a multi-million pound, 2m tall wall and some raised banking.

Our garden flooded a bit too but well away from the house. I observed carefully and the water table rose from saturated ground after long periods of rain. No water came across the meadow from the river. This situation is at least aggravated by a huge sewer (Environment Agency responsibility?) built under our gardens, just on our side of a brook, which cuts off the springs which used to feed the brook.

Our neighbours, including those next to here the wall will be built, have also observed the water rising from the ground in their gardens.

Forgive the nit-picking but it seems to me that when the next rising of the ground water comes, if the wall has been built, it will merely slow the draining away of the flood water. But what do I know?

Harold

Zuiko
29th March 2019, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear this, Harold. It seems the wall might actually keep the water in, rather than keeping it out.

Harold Gough
29th March 2019, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear this, Harold. It seems the wall might actually keep the water in, rather than keeping it out.

It won't directly affect our property, unless some more-extensive scheme emerges.

Harold

Graham_of_Rainham
29th March 2019, 04:35 PM
I used to be the infrastructure manager for Foulness Island, which is surrounded with a sea wall, but has sluice gates to manage the water flowing into, across and off the island.

There was even a sluice gate keeper, who would inspect and adjust them as needed each day. Obviously a modern wall would have automatically operating systems to manage water, or at least it should.

Harold Gough
29th March 2019, 05:27 PM
I used to be the infrastructure manager for Foulness Island, which is surrounded with a sea wall, but has sluice gates to manage the water flowing into, across and off the island.

There was even a sluice gate keeper, who would inspect and adjust them as needed each day. Obviously a modern wall would have automatically operating systems to manage water, or at least it should.

I can see that being justified for a sea wall. For floods once in a decade or so, that looks like overkill. Maybe some locked sluices which the Environment Agency or the Fire brigade could open?

Harold

TimP
29th March 2019, 06:18 PM
Is this a reaction to the Thames flooding a couple of years ago? A lot of very expensive homes got flooded then so not surprised that some people with influence might have got this off the ground.
(Or am I misreading something here?)

Harold Gough
29th March 2019, 06:24 PM
Is this a reaction to the Thames flooding a couple of years ago? A lot of very expensive homes got flooded then so not surprised that some people with influence might have got this off the ground.
(Or am I misreading something here?)

That issue is involved but the main flooding was about 15 years ago.

Harold