PDA

View Full Version : Xd or cf?

EH1
1st April 2009, 02:37 PM
I have alwayd used XD cards in favour of compact flash cards, but have no idea why? so anyone know what the pros & cons are of Xd or CF? (I know compact flash cards can come with alot more storage space) but why do olympus use both?

Ian
1st April 2009, 02:58 PM
I have alwayd used XD cards in favour of compact flash cards, but have no idea why? so anyone know what the pros & cons are of Xd or CF? (I know compact flash cards can come with alot more storage space) but why do olympus use both?

xD was developed by Olympus, Fujifilm, and Toshiba as the successor to the old SmartMedia card format. They were competing against Sony Memory Stick and Secure Digital (SD - from Panasonic, SanDisk, and - ironically - Toshiba).

xD is the simplest of the cards, as it's just memory; there is no on-card controller. It was also smaller than all its rivals. But the disadvantage of not having an on-card controller is quite fundamental and has limited the improvement in card performance, especially compared with SD, over the years. xD is just about adequate for compact cameras and Olympus perseveres with it, though now offers a MicroSD adapter for some of its latest compacts. The xD slot in E-System DSLRs is there, officially, to enable upgraders from Olympus compacts to continue using their xD cards. But Compact Flash not only offer bigger capacities far beyond the 2GB limit of xD, but much faster read/write performance.

So unless you have any particular need to stick with xD, CF is the way to go.

Ian

crimbo
1st April 2009, 03:00 PM
agree with Ian ... but as the camera has an xD slot I always fill it... you never know ... have gone out before and the CF card is still in the computer and the old xD saved the day...

Pete Riley
1st April 2009, 03:08 PM
Chris you are not alone. I've done that as well!*zzz, but as a rule I always use CF because of the faster read/write times

EH1
1st April 2009, 03:12 PM
Thankyou Ian for not only giving me a very in-depth explanation, but for it also being in plain simple English! All is now clear. Thankyou!

Ian
1st April 2009, 03:56 PM
agree with Ian ... but as the camera has an xD slot I always fill it... you never know ... have gone out before and the CF card is still in the computer and the old xD saved the day...

I tried this, but I too often got confused as to which card I was using :rolleyes:

I wish the camera would default to the CF slot if a CF card was present and only switch to xD if you removed the CF card.

Ian

Zuiko
1st April 2009, 08:02 PM
I tried this, but I too often got confused as to which card I was using :rolleyes:

I wish the camera would default to the CF slot if a CF card was present and only switch to xD if you removed the CF card.

Ian

....or filled it! :)

Lord Minty
1st April 2009, 08:35 PM
Am I the only one who'd like to write to two cards at the same time?

Not necessarily xD and CF, but it'd be nice to have a CF-based RAID card with two smaller card in it.

Ken Lister
1st April 2009, 08:43 PM
Am I the only one who'd like to write to two cards at the same time?

Not necessarily xD and CF, but it'd be nice to have a CF-based RAID card with two smaller card in it.

SDHC and CF would be great. XD is just too slow to use. However it did get me into Olympus, as my existing XD cards for my Fuji S5600 were a factor in picking my first DLSR.

Ellie
1st April 2009, 11:29 PM
... as the camera has an xD slot I always fill it... you never know ... have gone out before and the CF card is still in the computer and the old xD saved the day...
I've done that too, and the XD has saved the day. Ordinarily I only use the CF card.

Archphoto
2nd April 2009, 12:26 AM
In my E410 I have 1Gb xD for spare and a 4Gb CF as main, in my E520 just a 4Gb CF.

When I am on asignment I have both camera's with me, but I never shoot 500 + 500 pic's in a day.
On trips/asignments of more than one day, like the upcoming weekend to Brasilia, the laptop and a cardreader go along.

Peter

Lord Minty
2nd April 2009, 07:07 PM
I've just realised I never said what we use.

In both our E-500 and E-330 we've got a 1GB xD and a 1GB or 4GB CF card.

The xD has proved useful when we've filled the CF as an overflow. Also we use the xD for panoramas - they are Olympus xD cards.

Also, like others I had a Fuji compact before and it was handy to be able to use the tiny 128MB xD cards that cost 20+ new!

mlc
2nd April 2009, 08:40 PM
I was in British Columbia a while back, and waiting for a boat early one morning, when a black bear family sauntered into view on the opposite beach. The camera had the right lens on it, and I started firing - but then it got stuck - and I got mad - the camera had defaulted to xd card!!

I had to wait for the buffer to clear which felt like an age. I never fit that card again!

Mark

P.S. Minty - We meet again!