PDA

View Full Version : 'Sock Puppet'?

Jim Ford
24th March 2019, 11:32 AM
Interesting post from Ian about suspended accounts.

I've wondered for some while if we had a 'sock puppet' on the site! Doesn't bother me, though I know it's against the rules.

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
24th March 2019, 12:37 PM
“Sock Puppet”. Learn something new every day!

*chr

Jim Ford
24th March 2019, 12:47 PM
“Sock Puppet”. Learn something new every day!

*chr

There's a whole 'family' of them: 'Sock Puppet', 'Meat Puppet', 'Straw Man Sock Puppet' - probably more!

Jim

wornish
24th March 2019, 02:16 PM
New terms for me too. Had to look them up.

Naughty Nigel
24th March 2019, 03:35 PM
Interesting post from Ian about suspended accounts.

I've wondered for some while if we had a 'sock puppet' on the site! Doesn't bother me, though I know it's against the rules.

Jim

Sock puppet? As in posting comments and then posting comments as another person praising yourself? :confused:

There are some seriously mixed up people around. :(

TimP
24th March 2019, 04:00 PM
Sock puppet? As in posting comments and then posting comments as another person praising yourself? :confused:

If that’s the case then it’s beyond just ‘mixed up’ and well into the realms of pathetic.

wornish
24th March 2019, 05:25 PM
If that’s the case then it’s beyond just ‘mixed up’ and well into the realms of pathetic.

Sad really what some people do to make themselves feel better.

Jim Ford
24th March 2019, 05:41 PM
Sad really what some people do to make themselves feel better.

I think that the ploy is used to reinforce an argument in an attempt to show that they have more support than they really have, and in doing so garner more support.

Jim

Gate Keeper
24th March 2019, 05:43 PM

On a different forum, the same thing happened. The primary account holder was actually a magistrate and on the forum he had 2 personas. He would use one to argue and counter argue with the other. One male and one female. He probably thought he was being very clever and would never get found out. Ultimately, both were banned.

Jim Ford
24th March 2019, 05:55 PM
On a different forum, the same thing happened. The primary account holder was actually a magistrate and on the forum he had 2 personas. He would use one to argue and counter argue with the other.

So one was a sock puppet and the other a straw man sock puppet!

Jim

Gate Keeper
24th March 2019, 06:10 PM
So one was a sock puppet and the other a straw man sock puppet!

Jim

You got it Jim. Apparently it’s not uncommon on internet forums and some go to extraordinary lengths to cover up their other identities. The ones who have no insight and have a multiple personality disorder, are more worrying.

TimP
24th March 2019, 06:38 PM
So who are our sock puppets? My money is on Lamb Chop and Shari Lewis.

Zuiko
24th March 2019, 07:49 PM
All this talk of sock puppets is very interesting but a little premature. There were certain questions raised which need answers, but which may be purely coincidental. Ian is currently investigating with the full cooperation of the members involved.

DerekW
24th March 2019, 08:31 PM
What is interesting is that the two banned ids were registered on the same day last October. I was also suspicious about that. I thought of the as our friends from moscow here to check out the Salibury Cathedral spire - Mr Novo and Mr Chock

wornish
24th March 2019, 10:07 PM
What is interesting is that the two banned ids were registered on the same day last October. I was also suspicious about that. I thought of the as our friends from moscow here to check out the Salibury Cathedral spire - Mr Novo and Mr Chock

How do you know who is blocked and when they joined?

Just asking:D

DerekW
24th March 2019, 11:22 PM
The header for each post has Join Date, and under the userid it has the word banned - or at least it does for me.

peak4
24th March 2019, 11:56 PM

The thing is, that it could be entirely legitimate; two people from the same household could have joined on the same day, and would also thus be showing the same IP address, and may be understandably supportive of each other. (assuming on a common wire/fibre broadband provision.)

e.g. Jane and I have joined similar wildlife groups on the same day as we became aware of them, and would show the same IP address as we're hanging off the same router.

I'd spotted the same date thing a couple of months ago, but thought it better not to openly question it, as things were getting fractious enough as it was.

Rather than for us to speculate further, perhaps better to let Ian, as admin and site owner, to investigate and act accordingly; he will have access to more information than any of us as individuals.
In my opinion has always acted fairly and with an even hand.

Gate Keeper
25th March 2019, 06:00 AM
All this talk of sock puppets is very interesting but a little premature. There were certain questions raised which need answers, but which may be purely coincidental. Ian is currently investigating with the full cooperation of the members involved.

If we are talking about the two members who have been banned, if they have have been suspended, can their membership not reflect this with “gardening” instead of using the word “banned” which could imply guilt. One of those names had said on the Brexit thread, how I lacked testicular torsion. Although the comment sucked and was a bit below the belt, I have never held it against him/her. Hopefully there will be a happy ending to the outcome of Ian’s investigations.

Ian
25th March 2019, 07:42 AM
I'm closing this thread.

I tried very hard to retain the respect and privacy of the members I had to investigate.

This thread is simply about unsubstantiated suspicions that could be offensive to the members I had to investigate.

Innocent until proven guilty.

The investigation uncovered innocent circumstances and I have lifted the suspensions.

if there are any more inferences posted that amount to unsubstantiated disrespect to these members, I will take immediate action.

Ian