Beagletorque
22nd March 2019, 10:48 AM
Nearly 3 million now....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 10:49 AM
See this story in The Register
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/21/parliament_brexit_petition/

When I tried to sign the petition it was blacked by Kaspersky. What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

Beagletorque
22nd March 2019, 10:56 AM
When I tried to sign the petition it was blacked by Kaspersky. What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

The Russians are still interfering trying to cause more chaos, why support them by using Kaspersky?:confused:

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 10:59 AM
The Russians are still interfering trying to cause more chaos, why support them by using Kaspersky?:confused:

'It takes one to catch one' as they say. And in any case the alternatives (Norton, McCaffe, etc.,) are crap!

As an AV programme I have found it very good so I will continue to use it until my subscription expires.

Beagletorque
22nd March 2019, 11:13 AM
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3235484/what-the-kaspersky-antivirus-hack-really-means.html

Otto
22nd March 2019, 11:45 AM
The petition website crashed reporting “bad gateway”? We’re in good company!

Jax
22nd March 2019, 11:58 AM
The petition website crashed reporting “bad gateway”? We’re in good company!

Shenstone suggested in another thread that our Gateway problem could be due to 1,000,000 new members applying to join the forum. :) I think however if that were the case, Ian would now be enjoying his retirement on a tropical island complete with helicopter, yacht and satellite dishes.:D

Jax

DerekW
22nd March 2019, 11:59 AM
The government web site has had quite an interesting journey in the last couple of days. The hit rate has been unprecedented.

It would be so good if Andrea Leadsom's comments from last evening were brought back to haunt her.

Otto
22nd March 2019, 12:26 PM
Time to reopen the Brexit thread? (Runs and hides) *chr

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 12:29 PM
It would be so good if Andrea Leadsom's comments from last evening were brought back to haunt her.

What did she say? I nodded off.

Jax
22nd March 2019, 12:44 PM
It seems some members are hell bent on turning any conceivable topic into a political debate. A closed "Politics Thread" with participation by application only might be worth consideration.

Jax

TimP
22nd March 2019, 01:04 PM

errm.. you misspelt ‘Loathsome’. !!

TimP
22nd March 2019, 01:05 PM
It seems some members are hell bent on turning any conceivable topic into a political debate. A closed "Politics Thread" with participation by application only might be worth consideration.

Jax

Where do we sign up?

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 02:04 PM
Police Federation hit by cyber attack (https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/33289/police-federation-reveals-cyber-attack-against-its-hq?_mout=1&utm_campaign=itpro_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter)

I wonder whether any speeding fines were deleted from systems?

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 02:11 PM

Jax

The problem is caused by a narrow minded minority who are unable to accept the reality that others hold perfectly reasonable opinions which just happen to be different to their own. Those with hard left and extreme right views are always the worst offenders.

If we are to hold reasoned political debates we need to learn to play the ball, not those kicking it in the wrong direction.

DerekW
22nd March 2019, 02:13 PM
L's comments were that once the vote got to 13.4 million then it would be worth looking at the result

TimP
22nd March 2019, 02:42 PM
L's comments were that once the vote got to 13.4 million then it would be worth looking at the result

and maybe checking the legitimacy of said 13.4 million ‘votes’.

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 02:51 PM
and maybe checking the legitimacy of said 13.4 million ‘votes’.

Get Dianne Abbott to count them. ;)

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 02:58 PM
Get Dianne Abbott to count them. ;)

And get the final result of the vote announced in 2030 *yes

Darkroom

wornish
22nd March 2019, 10:16 PM
The whole petition is a joke.

Just use mailinator it will give you as many votes as you want.

Google it. *yes

DerekW
22nd March 2019, 10:38 PM
Have you tried it out

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 11:42 PM
Have you tried it out

Purely out of interest, I tried a few minutes ago and sadly, yes, it does seem to work.

The Gov voting site sends an email to the address you submit, in this case xxxxx@mailinator.com. As usual you have to open the email and click a link to confirm the validity of the email address. The voting site states it only allows one vote from an email and IP address. I opened the email at Mailinator but did not click to confirm.

However, unless you were skilled in programming and were able to write some sort of script to generate, submit and confirm large volumes of fictitious email addresses it would be a very slow time consuming process to make any significant difference to the genuine votes.

Still a sad condemnation of a Gov Dept. that seems to have no procedures in place to prevent people submitting votes with an email address such as @mailinator.com ( unless that kicks in when the "confirmation" is clicked )

Darkroom

wornish
23rd March 2019, 07:26 AM
It's not that difficult to write a script that would drive mailinator, You could just simply let it run and generate many thousands of votes an hour from random mail addresses.

I am sure there are other programs as well.

Many of our government sites are designed by dinosaurs I am afraid.

MJ224
23rd March 2019, 08:38 AM
It's not that difficult to write a script that would drive mailinator, You could just simply let it run and generate many thousands of votes an hour from random mail addresses.

I am sure there are other programs as well.

Many of our government sites are designed by dinosaurs I am afraid.

Not too IT acquainted with these sort of programmes, but the site sends an email back to the petitioners email address submitted, and needs confirmation. A vote is not counted until the confirmation is made. Thus a random email will surely founder on its own rocks...…..

But humanity is such that it will find a way I am sure...……...:confused:

TimP
23rd March 2019, 09:11 AM
Not too IT acquainted with these sort of programmes, but the site sends an email back to the petitioners email address submitted, and needs confirmation. A vote is not counted until the confirmation is made. Thus a random email will surely founder on its own rocks...…..

But humanity is such that it will find a way I am sure...……...:confused:

and it does! Script kiddies will sit up all night in their bedrooms figuring a way round these things, let alone a state actor who will do the same for political gain.

Otto
23rd March 2019, 12:40 PM
You have to enter your name and postcode too, it shouldn’t be difficult for the site to check those are both valid.

wornish
2nd April 2019, 12:20 PM
A company admits to creating 72000 false votes for the petition in a weekend as an experiment. Total cost £22.

https://www.kent.house/uk-petition-article-50-hijacked-by-bots/

Imagine if someone with money wanted to rig a petition.

Beagletorque
2nd April 2019, 12:25 PM
And, just for the sake of full transparency, we do believe as an agency that Brexit will be a huge driver of progress for UK business, economy, politics and society. So we would hate to see fraudulent poll results being generated and then used to make false claims of legitimacy for opposition to Brexit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MJ224
2nd April 2019, 02:41 PM
A company admits to creating 72000 false votes for the petition in a weekend as an experiment. Total cost £22.

Straight to Jail for 10 years for hacking

Another 10 years for telling everyone how to do it.

AND another 10 years for that supercilious grin...…….*smash

Beagletorque
5th April 2019, 11:11 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-45971644/lord-sugar-prosecute-boris-johnson-and-michael-gove-over-brexit

A couple of others?

raichea
5th April 2019, 02:16 PM

This is a claim, of course, not verified. It may be true, and their description is plausible, but it is still just a claim at the moment. With their stated support for Brexit, they have a vested interest in discrediting the petition, so they have the motivation to make a claim of this sort.

wornish
5th April 2019, 02:36 PM
This is a claim, of course, not verified. It may be true, and their description is plausible, but it is still just a claim at the moment. With their stated support for Brexit, they have a vested interest in discrediting the petition, so they have the motivation to make a claim of this sort.

Will it be investigated ? - Think not more likely to just be ignored.

RobEW
5th April 2019, 03:04 PM
Kent House ought to be prosecuted for deliberately ad fraudulently subverting a UK Government democratic instrument.

raichea
5th April 2019, 03:48 PM
Will it be investigated ? - Think not more likely to just be ignored.
Probably not, but it will no doubt be referenced by some with pro-Brexit leanings.

Beagletorque
5th April 2019, 03:52 PM
A pro remain campaigning MP just elected in a Welsh 2016 pro Brexit voting constituency....

Jim Ford
5th April 2019, 08:00 PM
A pro remain campaigning MP just elected in a Welsh 2016 pro Brexit voting constituency....

What does that say about 'the Will of the People' in that constituency? :rolleyes:

Jim

Otto
6th April 2019, 09:15 AM
A 37.1% turnout says a lot about what people think of UK politics at the moment. Can anyone in all seriousness vote for either of the two major parties?

Jim Ford
6th April 2019, 11:00 AM
A 37.1% turnout says a lot about what people think of UK politics at the moment. Can anyone in all seriousness vote for either of the two major parties?

It has been said that to not vote is to side with the winners!

Jim

TimP
6th April 2019, 12:31 PM

Exactly!

I’ll probably draw my own box and write ‘None of the above’ next to it.

This whole clusterfeck has shown that the current lot of so called politicians should all be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for their behavior over this.
The fact that it wasn’t until Mar 29th (Feb 57th if you’re Diane Abbot) that the two main parties decided it might be an idea to get together to talk about it FFS!!
Still, they will be the ones walking away with a phenomenal pension at our expense.

Jim Ford
6th April 2019, 12:53 PM
Still, they will be the ones walking away with a phenomenal pension at our expense.

Don't forget Fromage's E.U. pension!

Jim

TimP
6th April 2019, 12:56 PM
Don't forget Fromage's E.U. pension!

Jim

I know! You couldn’t really make that up could you! Oh, the irony. Still, again, who’s the joke on, certainly not him.