PDA

View Full Version : No bargains for me at the show...

Walti
20th March 2019, 12:55 PM
I couldn't find anything I needed or wanted at the show other than to meet up with some nice people from here, get my camera cleaned and attend a few talks.

I spent quite a time looking at the portrait photographers demonstrating their wares, and learnt quite a bit on the TFC/Elincrom stand (and will probably go on one of their workshops at some time...)

I came home and got an unwilling daughter to model for me while I tried out a couple of the bits I learnt, so I will be trying a bit harder to get some decent portraits done.

I was very interested in the guy trying to show that the results from a continuous LED light were better than from a flash, and even when he deliberately made a poor job of the flash picture the LED illuminated one was not as good!

So having failed to find a decent price for a macro flash STF-8 I gave up with the show and came home empty handed (well excluding the lens my daughter got me to buy for her camera) and am sitting at home awaiting delivery of an STF-8 for a bargain price of £394.00, rather than the £449 they normally sell for.

Walti
20th March 2019, 06:00 PM
It's arrived...

Get ready for too many macro style shots!

Just playing with it in the living room it's good!

pdk42
20th March 2019, 06:10 PM
I came home empty handed too. The Panasonic G9 deal sounded like an opportunity to make a few bob selling the items on eBay, but really it was all just too much hassle!

Maybe next year the E-M5iii will be on some deals?....

In the meantime Paul, enjoy the fancy new flash system. I found this review interesting - it has some useful tips as well as a review:

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/20/review-olympus-stf-8-macro-twin-flash/

Walti
20th March 2019, 07:21 PM
That’s a good read thanks Paul

bigsambwfc
20th March 2019, 08:13 PM
Went to the show, got camera cleaned etc,checked out top cameras including oly,sony, canikon, the Nikon d5 with 600mmlens impressed me till I asked the price£16,000.The sony a9 was cheaper with the best lens but heavy, as was the Nikon.Did,nt get to feel the weight of the 150-400 oly lens but it looks a bit heavy to me.Glad for m4/3 portability, pity the new x model has,nt got a grip strap lug, but apart from sensor it looks and feels good.Left with t shirt only. .

MJ224
20th March 2019, 08:17 PM
My purchase was a cash only £40 Chinese camera bag. Value for money certainly. Seems to be well made, and big enough to Em1 ii,40-150mm Pro, 300+tc1.4 pro, binoculars and if needed room for Ipad etc...………...

Tram
20th March 2019, 08:29 PM
My purchase was a cash only £40 Chinese camera bag. Value for money certainly. Seems to be well made, and big enough to Em1 ii,40-150mm Pro, 300+tc1.4 pro, binoculars and if needed room for Ipad etc...………...

I saw those bags, was it KF or something similar, never heard of them before.

Took along a book to give to the disabled photographers stall.
Just along from them I spotted the Rocky Nook bookstall, can't usually get the print copy as they are a US firm.
You can guess the rest.

To be honest the 15% discount on Ebay today off the photography section gave better bargains.
Bought a new Lee little stopper on there from Carmarthen Cameras Ebay shop
It was cheaper than the show or the best Internet price, max saving of fifty quid, but still not to be sneezed at.

Phill D
20th March 2019, 08:29 PM
K & F Concept by any chance Mark? I got a great one from them on line via Amazon a couple of months ago. And my mate Barney bought one at the show. I had a really good chat with one of the assistants about a few improvements in one of their designs and she was really interested. The bag I have has been great so far and half the price of a more recognised brand.

Harold Gough
21st March 2019, 12:30 PM
Any flash system relying on cables is a pain, as I found when I used old OM T-system units for digital.

I use various Olympus R-series guns off camera for macro.

Why is this in the (photography-free) lounge?

Harold

Darkroom
21st March 2019, 12:42 PM

Harold

Pedant- ish :)

Harold Gough
21st March 2019, 12:46 PM
Pedant- ish :)

"The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!"

I don't make the rules.

Harold

Darkroom
21st March 2019, 01:18 PM
"The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!"

I don't make the rules.

Harold

You're correct as usual Harold *yes

I recon it's a devious attempt to divert the Lounge away from non-photo topics inspired by recent events. :D

Darkroom

TimP
21st March 2019, 01:24 PM
Surely it’s keeping show bargains in one place, otherwise there could be separate threads in all sorts of places, ‘flash’ to use but one example.

MJ224
21st March 2019, 02:27 PM
K & F Concept by any chance Mark? I got a great one from them on line via Amazon a couple of months ago. And my mate Barney bought one at the show. I had a really good chat with one of the assistants about a few improvements in one of their designs and she was really interested. The bag I have has been great so far and half the price of a more recognised brand.

Yes Phill,, £40 cash whereas the competition starts at many many more squids. The bag now houses there Em1 ii, 300mm Pro +TC Zuiko. 40-150mm Pro, my TG-5, Aristo 7.5mm and Oly Bino's. I do not intend to carry this around on my back, but just to use it as a camera storage bag...………..*chr

Walti
21st March 2019, 06:22 PM

Harold

To be honest Harold I stuck it here because I couldn’t work out where to put it!