PDA

View Full Version : 'Phantom' Phone Call Charge.

Jim Ford
18th March 2019, 12:26 PM
We use Virgin Media for the house phone, and never make premium charge phone calls.

The last bill showed an entry to a premium number at 23:37 hours for 18 minutes, for which the charge was £13.68 + VAT. On checking online the number, I find it was to 'psychicsofa.com'.

Now my partner never stays up until half eleven at night and I don't often do so nowadays - besides, neither of us would phone anything like a psychic phone line as we are deeply sceptical and dismissive of such matters. We also had no visitors at that time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how such a 'phantom' phone call can have been made? I'm concerned that if it happened once it could happen again.

Jim

peak4
18th March 2019, 12:31 PM
Make sure you get it reported to VM asap.
Hard to imagine it happening accidentally as billing systems should be pretty much watertight security wise.
Are you on direct cable, fibre or twisted pair copper?

TimP
18th March 2019, 12:32 PM
What did Virgin say?

Perhaps it’s a portable phone and you left it on the sofa that night ( you can see where I’m going with this...)

Jim Ford
18th March 2019, 12:38 PM
What did Virgin say? is a portable phone

I've not been back to them.

Perhaps it’s a portable phone and you left it on the sofa that night ( you can see where I’m going with this...)

It is a portable phone, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Jim

Jim Ford
18th March 2019, 12:39 PM

Fibre.

Jim

TimP
18th March 2019, 12:43 PM
I've not been back to them.

It is a portable phone, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Jim

Psychic....sofa....... oh, never mind!

Sorry, I’m in a mischievous mood.

Jim Ford
18th March 2019, 12:49 PM
Psychic....sofa....... oh, never mind!

Sorry, I’m in a mischievous mood.

I get it now - I was in a 'slow mood'! ;)

Jim

TimP
18th March 2019, 12:53 PM
I get it now - I was in a 'slow mood'! ;)

Jim

‘Slow mood’. You mean there’s other types??? Who’d have thunk it!

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 01:42 PM
Hard to imagine it happening accidentally as billing systems should be pretty much watertight security wise.

You would think so, but database errors do occur from time to time.

The fact that Jim never makes premium rate calls would make it all the more unusual.

There are also ways I believe that scammers can effectively hack other people's phone accounts so they don't have to pay for their own calls.

peak4
18th March 2019, 01:56 PM
Make sure you get it reported to VM asap.

Fibre.

Jim

That hopefully precludes a bored engineer with a test telephone on nights in the local exchange, which would be much harder to prove, hence my reason for asking the question without alluding to any particular answer.

I'd bounce it back to Virgin and see what they have to say.