PDA

View Full Version : I need a fix...

Wally
18th March 2019, 08:33 AM
Please don't throw me out when all I need is a fix?

*yes Why this man will fix your broken stuff for free :tup --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-46195069/why-this-man-will-fix-your-broken-stuff-for-free

:tup Find a repair cafe near you... --> https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/

TimP
18th March 2019, 08:44 AM
I cut my teeth in electronics repair as an apprentice by fixing stuff that people brought in. I learnt so much, branched out into modifying things and kept current with the tech of the time. I could solder the tiniest components without a shake, read the tiniest writing on said tiny components and generally fix pretty much anything. TTL and CMOS ICs didn’t phase me but when Surface mount stuff came along I didn’t have the kit to work on it and at that point I became a box changer.
Sadly no longer, I’m now, fortunately, at a stage where if something breaks I see it as an opportunity to buy something new and hopefully better of more economical to run. Obviously not everyone is lucky enough to be able to do this. That said, not much stuff is actually repairable nowadays it would seem (to my aged eyes). Parts availability is nothing like it used to be, mainly because stuff is superseded so damn quickly (look at cameras)

It’s a great idea and to be applauded but I think if the younger generation can be taught simple basic hands on skills, even retiring a 13 A plug would be a start, then it’s progress.

shenstone
18th March 2019, 09:04 AM
I agree that it is sad that so many mainstream organisations don't support repair more proactively

Many will remember the days when you bought a car and the 1st thing you did was to get the Haynes Manual (BTW did you know that John Haynes recently passed away, it was not just in the car forums it made mainstream news which was nice https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47214103 )

I fully support the idea and have just looked up and will try and support the local ones.

Regards
Andy

Otto
18th March 2019, 09:15 AM
Given that I live in the middle of nowhere I'm amazed to find there's a repair café not half an hour away!

I've always been a bit of a fixer myself, I like repairing things but modern manufacturing methods mean fewer things are fixable, sadly.

RobEW
18th March 2019, 09:49 AM
One of the difficulties is that modern manufacturers deliberately and systematically and purposefully create built-in obsolescence. They make things which they know won't last so as to cut costs and undercut the competition but also to get repeat sales.

For instance I have a very old tumble dryer, and the belt drive goes through a spring-tensioned jockey wheel, which keeps the tension fairly constant and makes the bearings and motor last much longer. This is not rocket science. I'm told that however much you choose to spend, you cannot buy a new one now which has this feature.

As well as designing things not to be durable, they also design them not to be economically repairable too. For instance we found it was cheaper to buy a new oven than to replace the circuit board which had failed. We had a central heating controller which has a common fault and the manufacturers wanted £90 to replace the circuit board, when in fact it could be fixed for much less by replacing just one capacitor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAYTON-DIGISTAT-SCR-REPAIR-CAPACITOR-ISKRA-KNB1560-CD-0-68uF/262868932910?epid=1059954581&hash=item3d3435992e:g:tykAAOSw~AVYr1Xf&frcectupt=true

Otto
18th March 2019, 10:16 AM
The use of a capacitor to drop the mains voltage is not uncommon but it's not best practice. Some years ago a well known photo retailer sold an enlarger timer that used the same principle and which had a tendency to, shall we say, overheat ...

My Bosch washer-drier uses a direct drive motor so there are no belts or other parts to wear other than the main drum bearings. As a result it's extremely smooth and quiet but I dread to think how much it will cost to fix if the drum bearings wear out. Its Hoover predecessor gave about ten years of fairly light usage but when the drum bearings went it was uneconomic to repair. I wasn't impressed.

TimP
18th March 2019, 10:26 AM
Our slimline dishwasher is 10 years old, our washing machine is about 7, both Bosch. When either fails I’ll buy a new one, expecting it to be more economical and last a similar time. Our tumble drier (damn thing!) is an old Philips and is 35+ years old and won’t die! Want to get a new one so I can finally sort out the utility ‘room’ and either vent it properly or get a condensing one instead. When an old fridge freezer (Scandinova, remember them?) failed approx 3 years ago (hand me down from parents approx 15 years ago) our electricity bill dropped by 20%, literally.

RobEW
18th March 2019, 10:39 AM
My Hotpoint Aquarius Reversomatic 9326 is at least 25 years old and still has its original bearings I think. (I bought it used about 1999). I don't think they make many things to last like that nowadays. except, thankfully, some vintage cameras (to bring this back on topic ...)

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 11:08 AM
I saw both of my parents making things and repairing them, and my older brother too. It was a way of life for most people. My mother in particular was very practical, and had learnt a great deal from her Dutch father who I have learned was a very clever Engineer.

I am always tinkering, repairing and building things; my wife perhaps less so, but our children have grown up seeing us taking things apart, repairing them and putting them back together again, so they are not afraid of doing the same.

Unfortunately 'consumerism' and the design of modern motor cars and consumer goods has resulted in two or three generations having been brought up without the joys or experience of building or mending things. I am sure this has made us all less inventive as there is no real interest in knowing how things work; just plugging them in, using them and throwing them away when they break.

TimP
18th March 2019, 11:16 AM
I’m now guilty of ‘just plugging them in and using them’ and like it that way. I’ve built dozens, if not a couple of hundred PCs over the years but can’t be arsed now (give my money to Tim Apple instead). Occasionally get to upgrade or build a gaming PC for my son and whilst I enjoy doing it, it’s not something I miss. Used to replace a ‘stat when the fridge failed, used to replace kettle and toaster elements. About the only stuff I’ll actually fix now is things like immersion heaters / thermostats, ball cocks and the like.
Right, anyone recommend a frost proof, large capacity water butt?

Darkroom
18th March 2019, 11:24 AM
Right, anyone recommend a frost proof, large capacity water butt?

Interesting request butt, do such things as frost proof water butts exist ? :)

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 11:40 AM
Interesting request butt, do such things as frost proof water butts exist ? :)

Darkroom

I am sure you can buy them in countries like Saudi Arabia. They don't have a problem with frost there. ;)

Darkroom
18th March 2019, 11:46 AM
I am sure you can buy them in countries like Saudi Arabia. They don't have a problem with frost there. ;)

Tim wants a large capacity butt so P&P could be excessive :D:D:D

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 11:50 AM
Oddly enough, two weekends ago our Trusty Bosch washing machine stopped mid-spin and displayed the error message F:43.

A quick Google identified the problem as 'worn motor brushes'.

We went onto the Bosch UK website and were able to order a new pair of brushes for £31. There was even a YouTube video showing how to fix it!

The motor itself was very easy to remove from the back of the machine (having removed the back cover). The only tricky part was unplugging the multi-pin connector from the motor as the cable is not very long so you have to do the job blind. There were also some sharp metal edges!

Anyhow, the whole job took less than an hour so that should keep it going for another ten years or so. *yes

I wonder how much it would have cost had I called an 'Engineer', or would there have been a sharp intake of breath followed by comments that the parts are no longer available?

I took a photograph of the old and new brushes which I will post here later.

Keith-369
18th March 2019, 12:10 PM
Tim wants a large capacity butt so P&P could be excessive :D:D:D

Darkroom

My wife has a large capacity butt ........ arrrggggg .... get off me ...... AAARRgggggg........ ;) :D :D :D :D

TimP
18th March 2019, 12:23 PM

I suspect they’re not troubled by water much either.

TimP
18th March 2019, 12:27 PM
Oddly enough, two weekends ago our Trusty Bosch washing machine stopped mid-spin and displayed the error message F:43.

Ooh! I think I can help. I might know what the ‘f’ stands for!

Oh, and £31 for the brushes?? You’ll just fit them and something else will pack up, put the £31 towards a new washer(ing machine)

Darkroom
18th March 2019, 12:32 PM

Oh, and £31 for the brushes?? You’ll just fit them and something else will pack up, put the £31 towards a new washer(ing machine)

Oh Ye Of Little Faith :D

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 01:43 PM

Its working perfectly now. *yes

OM USer
19th March 2019, 12:15 PM
In my time I've replaced brushes in a washing machine, heating elements in an oven, thermocouples in a boiler, and a microwave oven magnetron. Unfortunately circuit boards are not designed to be repaired but replaced as it makes the cost per board cheaper - and most things these days have a circuit board or two.

TimP
19th March 2019, 12:30 PM
I’d hope most people on here can replace an oven element, I’ve certainly done a few in the past but our current oven (Neff) has yet to fail. Previous Hotpoint did it on Xmas eve once, must to my disgust and expense. (Sound of minor explosion from kitchen... )

Naughty Nigel
19th March 2019, 07:48 PM
I’d hope most people on here can replace an oven element, I’ve certainly done a few in the past but our current oven (Neff) has yet to fail. Previous Hotpoint did it on Xmas eve once, must to my disgust and expense. (Sound of minor explosion from kitchen... )

It sounds like gas cooking is to be banned so we might have that problem more often.

Oddly enough one of the elements in my parents electric oven failed on Christmas day and kept tripping the RCD. Fortunately I was able to disconnect the failed element so Christmas dinner was not spoiled, but it was very slow to heat up. I seem to remember we had to forgo Yorkshire puddings too as the oven could not be get hot enough.

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 08:09 PM
It sounds like gas cooking is to be banned so we might have that problem more often.

Oddly enough one of the elements in my parents electric oven failed on Christmas day and kept tripping the RCD. Fortunately I was able to disconnect the failed element so Christmas dinner was not spoiled, but it was very slow to heat up. I seem to remember we had to forgo Yorkshire puddings too as the oven could not be get hot enough.

Forgo Yorkshire Puddings ? :eek:

That's a torment nobody north of Birmingham should have to endure ! Christmas day too. You have my utmost sympathies *yes

Darkroom

TimP
19th March 2019, 08:19 PM
Yorkshire puddings? On Christmas Day? With turkey? Dear lord, save us from these people.

TimP
19th March 2019, 08:22 PM
It sounds like gas cooking is to be banned so we might have that problem more often

What with that and everyone having electric cars I reckon someone needs to get their finger out and get laid into some serious storage and solar farms. Ideally with the panels high enough off the ground so sheep can happily graze underneath.

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 08:22 PM
Yorkshire puddings? On Christmas Day? With turkey? Dear lord, save us from these people.

Philistine !! :)

TimP
19th March 2019, 08:24 PM
Philistine !! :)

Racist!!!!

TimP
19th March 2019, 08:24 PM
Ooh, what’s that funny symbol?

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 08:30 PM
Ooh, what’s that funny symbol?

Yellow card ! Next one is red but you won't see it as the door will be locked :D

Jim Ford
19th March 2019, 10:38 PM
We're still using an electric oven we bought in 1974 - 45 years ago! I replaced one of the rings about 30 years ago.

Jim

TimP
20th March 2019, 08:10 AM
We're still using an electric oven we bought in 1974 - 45 years ago! I replaced one of the rings about 30 years ago.

Jim

Damn good going! Stuff is made down to a price now, less so back then I suppose.
I expect oven elements are more prone to failure if they come into direct contact with splashing food.