PDA

View Full Version : Lens cleaning/maintainance.

ringneck
31st March 2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Folks........

Guess what I did on the 1st TRIP with my new 510 last year...yes thats right I TRIPPED up and the 40-150 ended up in the mud.I let it dry out but when I managed to clean the front of lens I could see it had "dried water marks" inside the lens.YES I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HAD A U.V. ON but I wanted to get out and try the I.S. and forgot to swop from the 500.
Anyway it works fine except all the shots are rather soft as it's going through the dirt.

What I want to know is does anyone know of a way of getting the front of the lens off so I came give it a quick polish.I am using the old 40 -150 off the 500 at the moment.

Cheers,
Keith ( cheap-skate)*chr *chr *chr

Archphoto
31st March 2009, 07:19 PM
I just looked at the lens and you need special equipment for it: not much else than send it off to Olympus.....
And by the way, if you have problems in the lens a UV filter would not have helped to avoid this.

Peter

ringneck
31st March 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for replying Peter..........it will have to stay at the back of the bag if Olympus is the only solution,especially with the exchange rate/credit crunch.

All the best,
*chrKeith.

Ken Lister
1st April 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Folks........

Guess what I did on the 1st TRIP with my new 510 last year...yes thats right I TRIPPED up and the 40-150 ended up in the mud.I let it dry out but when I managed to clean the front of lens I could see it had "dried water marks" inside the lens.YES I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HAD A U.V. ON but I wanted to get out and try the I.S. and forgot to swop from the 500.
Anyway it works fine except all the shots are rather soft as it's going through the dirt.

What I want to know is does anyone know of a way of getting the front of the lens off so I came give it a quick polish.I am using the old 40 -150 off the 500 at the moment.

Cheers,
Keith ( cheap-skate)*chr *chr *chr

Perhaps it was an Olympus TRIP and not an E510? (Sorry!) The old 40-150 is a better, if bulkier lens anyway. Invest in the 70-300 instead of fixing the damaged one.

Ellie
1st April 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't know if this thread started by Barr1e is any use to you
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=542