PDA

View Full Version : Brave...

Wally
12th March 2019, 01:51 PM
Having nothing better to do over the last few weeks I stumbled across this - as per the title. A new-ish browser, suitable for most platforms that apparently stops ads from p*****g you off as well as slowing down your i'net. As it's fairly new it still getting tweaked but does seem to have decent reviews.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and, if so, how did it stack up?

shenstone
12th March 2019, 02:35 PM
I've not used it and I appreciate the issue with too many adverts, but the trouble is that it is business who pay for much of the internet and they need customers and that can include this forum

It's just my opinion, but I'm not sure that I would support 100% blocking technology

regards
Andy

Darkroom
12th March 2019, 02:48 PM
I've also looked a few days ago but apart from a reward system, I can't see any advantage over Opera which also has an optional ad blocker and also a free very efficient VPN.

Millions of sites publish on the net and provide free information without needing to bombard users with adverts so anything that blocks unwanted adverts is a bonus in my opinion. The same applies to forums. The fact this forum has opted to promote Amazon is a retrograde move in my honest opinion. I always try to avoid making any purchases from them due to their lack of business ethics.

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
13th March 2019, 04:23 PM
I've not used it and I appreciate the issue with too many adverts, but the trouble is that it is business who pay for much of the internet and they need customers and that can include this forum

It's just my opinion, but I'm not sure that I would support 100% blocking technology

regards
Andy

'Businesses may pay for much of the internet', but they don't pay for my time or my bandwidth.

I can live with a few ads on a 27" screen, but when they take half the space on my phone's screen it is too much, especially when I am already paying for the service that I am using.

It wouldn't be so bad if the adverts were of interest, but in most cases they are selling what Google or Facebook thinks I should be interested in.

Willom
17th March 2019, 11:32 PM
Or at least we're interested two months ago when you searched for it and then bought it.

Ads I can cope with most of the time, it's the tracking and collation of all your data that I don't like which is why I use Duckduckgo as my search engine and Firefox as my browser. However it is difficult to avoid it totally (he writes whilst typing on an android phone).