PDA

View Full Version : A heads up

Wally
11th March 2019, 02:36 PM
:eek: Better late than never...

Urgent warning over 'serious' Windows 7 bug --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47494760

RobEW
11th March 2019, 03:37 PM
I saw a similar warning and took the Chrome upgrade yesterday. I'm still using Windows 7 on my laptop and trying hard to resist Windows 10 which seems to be a platform for advertising and allowing vendors to bother users with too many unnecessary "notifications".

TimP
11th March 2019, 04:06 PM
Rob, W10 is worth a look now, it’s much better than it was a few versions ago. If you turn off all the telemetry you can you don’t get bothered (in my experience, as an intermittent user)
Maybe even pull the laptop drive, stick a small SSD in there first, that way you’ve got a roll back plan (other roll back plans are available). Older peripherals might have driver problems but most things are get roundable.

Otto
11th March 2019, 05:36 PM
I agree, Windows 10 is much better than it used to be. I don't get too many notifications, and those that I do get usually refer to software upgrades. It seems a solid and reliable OS now, and I've even managed to get networking to work properly! I've never had any advertising via the OS itself and an ad-blocker gets rid of the worst of the web ads. When will advertisers realise that bombarding us with relentless advertising is counter-productive?