PDA

View Full Version : Streaming music

Rocknroll59
10th March 2019, 08:10 AM
Having just paid quite a bit of money for a new piece of kit at home and having sceptical thoughts about music streaming i'm wondering now if this is the death of CD's as we know it. I've now listened since late January to all sorts of music streamed in high quality bit rate and some of the recordings are stunning played through the right kit. I sold off my Cinema system and have gone back to 2 channel and I don't miss the multi channel stuff.

It was a toss up between the 300 F4 lens and the new piece of HiFi, so I guess I will need to save again to buy the lens. I know vinyl has outsold Cd's in the last year or two, but having now minimised my kit down to 1 box and far less cables it keeps my wife happy (she hates the cables) and i'm happy with results, question is now having been staunch supporter of CD's ( I have quite a few) is this the end of me buying them? At the moment i'm on a 3 month trial for free then in April I either have to pay the monthly or yearly(Cheaper) fee or back to the CD's!! It also has a built in phono stage so vinyl is being played again after many years on the shelf.

Peter *chr

Walti
10th March 2019, 09:46 AM
All my CDs got copied onto the computer for local streaming (at high bit rates) Mrs Walti can’t quite get her head around using it and even though I don’t have a CD player nor drive she still likes buying CDs so I’m thing of going back to a buck with an input that’ll accept the streaming from the computer. And getting a new CD player!

I tend to buy all my music digitally now from one of the evil corporations or another!

I haven’t bought into streaming from the inter web yet - but I think that may be next as - like you - I think the CD is past its day now.

Phill D
10th March 2019, 09:55 AM
What bit of kit did you buy Peter? I've still got turntable, tape, and CD. I'm sure one small box and no wires would go down well with the management here!

Otto
10th March 2019, 10:06 AM
I still prefer to have a physical CD but that said I am in the process of ripping my CD collection to .FLAC files using Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/). I have built a music player based on a Raspberry Pi computer and a high quality DAC which to my ears at least sounds pretty much identical to my CD player. FLAC is a lossless compression format that reduces the size of the audio files by up to 50% without any loss of quality - a bit like ZIP for music. The ultimate aim is to get all the music stored on a server (also based on a RPi) which the player can access over my home network, and which my internet portable radios can access throughout the house. However getting the RPi to talk nicely to my Windows PCs is another matter - though since my Windows PCs don't even like talking to each other that doesn't surprise me! (Any home networking/SAMBA experts please get in touch!)

Since my entire CD collection of some 900-odd will fit onto a tiny £60 Seagate 1TB USB drive it should free up some space in the living room. The music player can be controlled from the settee via the web browser on my phone, and it also acts as an internet radio. I'm not really interested in the likes of Spotify but there are high quality commercial free radio streams that don't need a subscription, although I'm happy to send them a few bucks now and then to keep the service going.

Rocknroll59
10th March 2019, 10:36 AM
Phil...

I spent a few months looking around and reading reviews etc, decided to give a listen to the Moon Neo Ace, I used to sell Moon equipment 10+ years ago so knew about the sound quality, but I was so impressed i decided to bite the bullet and buy one. There are few dealers in the UK but emailed a few to see if I could save a bit of money by buying a demo item, two came back with a 20% discount which one I collected in Mid January.

I must say I am staggered by the sound quality, I have fine tuned it however with a certain cabling and speakers but even the TV can be hooked up and sounds great. At the moment I am into a trial with Quboz which streams all sorts of music my leaning towards Jazz was part of the reason for choosing it as some of the others (Tidal etc) did not have a large Jazz library, but with so many inputs and up to date streaming it is such a likeable piece of kit, i'm listening to stuff that I would hesitate to listen to on CD as I probably would not have bought it...so maybe the CD's are on the way out, only slight snag is it means a cost of £19 odd per month for the CD quality streaming, but then 4 Cd's per month makes the same amount.

I also like the radio at high bit rates as well..it works via the Moon Mind2 system on my phone or tablet. What is there to dislike apart from the damage to your bank account..:D:D

Peter

Otto
10th March 2019, 04:36 PM
Further to my post above regarding Windows 10 File Sharing, I found this video on YouTube, followed it to the letter, and now all three talk nicely to one another. Whether they still will after today I don't know as Win10 networking seems somewhat random, but we shall see ...

File Sharing Over A Network in Windows 10 - YouTube

Don't be put off by the annoying introductory music (sic) as it will soon be replaced by a soothing English voice!

Incidentally, the software I use on the RPi music player is moOde Audio Player (http://moodeaudio.org/). It's free, but only available for Raspberry Pi computers. It's also a bit geeky to get up and running but great when it works :).

Harold Gough
11th March 2019, 10:59 AM
With copyright expiring on a lot of 1950s and 1960s music, a lot are becoming available on CD which were not before.

Harold

bigsambwfc
12th March 2019, 06:44 PM
I use a Zen mini streamer ,cd ripper flac, with radios etc, get a lot of cd,s from charity shops to rip. played through mission 770s, and pioneer pre and power amps(tuned).listening to telegraph road road as I write this.linn music is a good site for listening or lbc if ya like the b word.all controlled from iPhone using ipeng app.reccomend actual cd,s in case of lectronic crash.airplane sensors come to mind.

Jim Ford
12th March 2019, 08:19 PM
I usually rip CDs with 'cdparanoia' on Linux. It outputs WAV files, which can then be converted to any other format with 'sox' (the 'swiss arm knife' of sound files!)

Jim

Tram
14th March 2019, 01:48 PM
I always buy the CD, think it goes back to buying albums, spent many hours in Our Price.
Just got some new speakers to use with the pc, maybe slight overkill.
https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/Hands-onReview:KantoYU6PoweredSpeakers.html
Built in pre amp so turntable plugs straight in, still got some albums from the 70's.
Just been playing some Thin Lizzy and Diamond Head, both very underrated bands

Jim Ford
14th March 2019, 02:35 PM
I used to be keen on good quality equipment for sound reproduction, but there's not much point now as I have tinnitus and a severely restricted upper limit to high frequency sounds.

Jim

DerekW
14th March 2019, 03:11 PM
I have ripped about 13 days worth of CDs via iTunes, copied the library to an iPod, and a Mac Mini.

The Mac mini is connected via the internal network to the Sonos connect which is connected to the main hifi system, plus there are several Sonos speakers around the house.

Using the Sonos app on various smart phones and iPads we can select music or internet sourced radio in various rooms in the house.

I can plug the iPod into the car system and listen to the music in the car (should I wish), the incar entertainment system selecting the music from the iPod.

If I want to really listen to some music I can play the source Cds on the main CD player.

Rocknroll59
14th March 2019, 04:53 PM
Things are so much easier now than it used to be, I can play most(not all) of my entire CD collection from my phone (bluetooth) to my car stereo and flick back and forth easily, no need to lean over to the passenger seat and grab a CD out of the case !! I was sceptical about streaming though, but have now changed my mind albeit after listening to HiRes files on a very decent system but that's how it was recorded and how the artists would want you to hear it, if you venture to a live performance you don't listen to it via the keyhole in the front door do you which is how a lot of compressed files are....

I did consider a Sonos system awhile back but it sounded compressed to what I already had and I took it back, but hey if it works for you fine...I do have a Naim small unit Muso in the Kitchen which sounds great as well.

The beauty about my main system is I can stream a track/video (sound only) from Youtube via my new unit so if there is something decent on there I can listen to that as well. Happy days...

Peter *yes

Rocknroll59
14th March 2019, 04:55 PM
Jim...

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus...doesn't stop you from a bit of musical enjoyment as I do suffer from it a little bit too...

Peter

shenstone
14th March 2019, 07:26 PM
I'm not much of a music listener and was wasting valuable (IMO) shelf space so I ripped all our CD's to MP3 and sent the CD's to a charity shop

I DO like radio documentaries

So I now have 70Gb of podcasts and 16gb of CD's to keep me entertained on my drive to/from work

Regards
Andy

DerekW
14th March 2019, 08:16 PM
Strictly speaking you no longer have proof of ownership of the right to listen to the music.
One should maintain ownership of the source CD and packaging to prove it has had the copyright fees paid.

Jim Ford
14th March 2019, 09:26 PM
Jim...

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus...doesn't stop you from a bit of musical enjoyment as I do suffer from it a little bit too...

High quality audio equipment is wasted on me. An example is that I've got a cheapish pair of noise cancelling headphones. The electronics create a slight hiss, but it's nothing compared to my tinnitus. Also, a high frequency response up to 20KHz is also wasted, as I can't hear above around 8KHz. But as you say, it doesn't stop me enjoying music.

Jim

Otto
15th March 2019, 09:38 AM
I believe it's technically illegal to copy a CD to another storage medium even for one's own use, in which case probably most of the country are law-breakers!

I've got my homebrew music streamer up and running and the increase in convenience is marvellous, I can select any track from any CD using my phone and listen to it almost instantly which is a real boon. Sound quality is virtually indistinguishable from my CD player. In the digital domain the bit stream should be identical to that coming originally from the CD so the only differences would be down to the DACs in the streamer and the CD player.

Rocknroll59
15th March 2019, 11:33 AM
Its great Richard...... so convenient that's what makes it so popular now, whilst I still like to read sleeve notes, play the odd LP still as it is different to digital, its the ease of selection that is the biggest bonus.

It has also opened up new artists to me that i've never heard of before.

Peter *chr

Otto
15th March 2019, 05:36 PM
I suppose if you were really keen you could scan the sleeve notes and store them with the music files :). I used to use Last.fm before CBS bought it out and wrecked it, and it was a great way to discover music - as well as playing what it thought were artists you'd like it had "love" and "ban" buttons so you could influence its future choices. It still exists but no longer has a proper music player built in, it simply selects music from YouTube so is of limited use.

I have an eye operation coming up soon meaning that I have to keep my face parallel to the floor for a few days afterwards, so finding and playing CDs will be difficult. There will be plenty of opportunities for extreme boredom too so hopefully streaming music will help!

Naughty Nigel
15th March 2019, 06:08 PM
I believe it's technically illegal to copy a CD to another storage medium even for one's own use, in which case probably most of the country are law-breakers!

I wonder?

What about iTunes which rips music for use on an iPhone or similar?

The audio system in my car will store up to ten CD's on its internal hard drive.

If it was illegal to copy music presumably the big record producers (i.e. Sony) would take action to stop this, or would that make them too unpopular with the buying public I wonder?

OM USer
15th March 2019, 06:41 PM
Buy a music CD from Amazon and it comes with a download. Some films (DVD) come with an Ulltraviolet download - only the Ultraviolet bit is being decomissioned soon so you have to sign up to some other implementation.

Otto
15th March 2019, 06:56 PM
It's actually a very grey area. It was illegal in 2015:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12021607/Why-in-2015-is-ripping-CDs-still-illegal-in-the-UK.html

An admittedly brief search suggests there was an attempt to overturn this in 2018 but it failed, though you are now allowed to make one copy of a CD that you personally own:
https://www.quora.com/If-ripping-CDs-is-illegal-in-the-UK-how-come-iTunes-let-you

I guess therefore that having a copy on a music server and on an iPod is technically illegal. Seems the law is a bit behind the times :).

Rocknroll59
15th March 2019, 07:21 PM
Hope all goes well with the Op Richard....copied below some info about illegal and legal stuff, quite how it is policed is beyond me and probably beyond the authorities unless you are totally stupid and tell everyone that you do it...

CD Do's
Ripping CDs: Only rip original CDs that you legitimately own. Borrowing an original CD from someone and copying it is illegal.
Digital music files: You can transfer digital music files to your own MP3 player providing the files have been ripped directly from a CD that you own (or providing you purchased the digital files online).
Copying a CD: Only copy original CDs that you own. You can burn one complete CD backup copy for your own personal use.
Respect copyright: Don't assume that just because there isn't a copyright notice on a CD or it's packaging that it is free to copy and distribute.
CD Doníts
Don't download ripped CD tracks: Never download copyrighted music from shady internet websites that provide you with ripped CD tracks.
Don't use file sharing programs (P2P): If you do have a file-sharing program installed on your computer, ensure that your legitimate CD copies are never made available to others on the internet. This constitutes copyright infringement, and you risk being sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Don't copy a CD to give away: Never make copies of CDs that you legitimately own in the belief that it is OK to give them to your friends and family. It isn't.
Don't borrow a CD and copy it: Borrowing an original CD from someone to make a copy for yourself or others is illegal.
Don't copy digital music files: Don't copy digital music files from someone elseís MP3 player or computer, even if they own the original CD.
Don't use copyrighted music on your website or YouTube channel, even if you own it.

What else can I say !! :rolleyes::D

Peter

Harold Gough
18th March 2019, 04:27 PM
There might be a warning here:

https://www.grahamcluley.com/myspace-loses-music/

Harold

Keith-369
18th March 2019, 05:15 PM
There might be a warning here:

https://www.grahamcluley.com/myspace-loses-music/

Harold

Absolutely.

There are so many people out there who rely on 'Cloud' based storage for their photos etc. but don't realize that rules can change (like Flickr) or things can go wrong (like My-Space).

By all means use these facilities but under no circumstances should they be the one and only method of storage for all things precious.

Keith *chr

TimP
18th March 2019, 06:22 PM
I have an eye operation coming up soon meaning that I have to keep my face parallel to the floor for a few days afterwards

I expect your doctor / consultant will know to tell you thereís a 5p coin on your floor so it should be easy to manage the parallel face thing. :D

Jim Ford
18th March 2019, 06:58 PM
I have an eye operation coming up soon meaning that I have to keep my face parallel to the floor for a few days afterwards, so finding and playing CDs will be difficult. There will be plenty of opportunities for extreme boredom too so hopefully streaming music will help!

I hope it all goes well, Richard.

(I had an 'Eylea' injection a couple of days ago for 'Wet Macula Degeneration'. When I got home I said to my partner that I'd been given the hypodermic that they'd used. I showed her a large syringe with a 1mm dia needle 100 mm long, that I'd used for refilling printer ink cartridges. She reacted with horror, stating "My God!". She twigged when I started laughing!)

Jim

Keith-369
18th March 2019, 08:23 PM
I hope it all goes well, Richard.

(I had an 'Eylea' injection a couple of days ago for 'Wet Macula Degeneration'. When I got home I said to my partner that I'd been given the hypodermic that they'd used. I showed her a large syringe with a 1mm dia needle 100 mm long, that I'd used for refilling printer ink cartridges. She reacted with horror, stating "My God!". She twigged when I started laughing!)

Jim

Nice one. Just the sort of thing I'd do *yes *yes :D :D :D

Otto
18th March 2019, 10:46 PM
Thanks Jim and Peter, so do I! And Tim, I donít get out of bed for 5p ;).

Back on topic-ish, Iíve been talking about local streaming from a file server attached to my home network and Iím happy to say Iíve got it all working now. I have 457 CDs loaded onto it so far, all accessible at the touch of an iPad (or any web browser) so wonít have to break the consultantís rules when itís time to change the record :). Itís a lazy sodís dream as theyíre all accessible without leaving the sofa!

The server has a backup drive built in and I also have copies on a PC so I think Iím fairly safe from data loss, if the worst happens I still have the CDs! I would never rely on the cloud as my only backup.

Naughty Nigel
18th March 2019, 11:01 PM
That sounds like a proper setup.

What sort of file server do you use?

Otto
18th March 2019, 11:20 PM
One I’ve built myself using a Raspberry Pi computer with two 1Tb hard drives. It cost less than £200 and uses about 5W of power so I let it run 24/7. The music player is another RPi running moOde audio, though any of my networked PCs can also access the server. The CDs were ripped to lossless flac files and my ears can’t tell any noticeable difference between the streamed music and the CD player. I would like to be able to get my Roberts internet radio to access the file server too - that’s the next job.

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 12:41 AM
I've just purchased a Roberts 65i AIO music system which has Internet radio, Dab, FM, CD, Wireless and Bluetooth and remote. Nothing close to audiophile quality but, given I use hearing aids, there is little point paying for super hi-fi quality now. This model of Roberts has just been replaced by a later version so I was able to purchase for less than half the normal price.

It seems very weird being able to control everything from either my mobile phone or tablet and stream wirelessly to the Roberts but extremely handy. It was also interesting to listen to the New Zealand news broadcasts on the day of the terrible atrocious shootings. Accessing Internet Radio from the laptop alone given my hearing problem is not an option due to the poor quality sound the laptop provides, but fabulous via the Roberts.

I've downloaded the free version of Spotify, but, due to the free version being reduced quality I wasn't overly impressed with the sound. The paid version is supposed to be far better but i'm undecided what the best options are regarding music streaming sites. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them, it would be much appreciated. *yes

Darkroom

TimP
19th March 2019, 08:26 AM
I’ve been looking at things including he 65i and was only put off by the price (£500?) plus the fact it’s only available in black. Is it worth the money though?
Does the CD player play MP3s? (It’s a few weeks since I last looked)

Tim

Otto
19th March 2019, 09:24 AM
There is a Roberts outlet store on eBay which sells refurbished and/or discontinued items at around half price. I bought a Stream 93i last year and it was as good as new - except that the remote control had a flat battery which they replaced under guarantee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/robertsoutletstore01

Naughty Nigel
19th March 2019, 09:49 AM
There is a Roberts outlet store on eBay which sells refurbished and/or discontinued items at around half price. I bought a Stream 93i last year and it was as good as new - except that the remote control had a flat battery which they replaced under guarantee.

I have used the Roberts outlet store too and found it very good.

A lot of their stock is effectively brand new in the box, (I have to be careful what I say here) but has been returned as a 'remorse purchase' within the 14 day period allowed under the distance selling regulations.

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 09:54 AM

Mine was BNIB and sealed 2 weeks ago ( not from Roberts ) for less than £250. It's still shown on the Roberts site at £499, but no stock available.

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
19th March 2019, 10:03 AM
Mine was BNIB and sealed 2 weeks ago ( not from Roberts ) for less than £250. It's still shown on the Roberts site at £499, but no stock available.

Darkroom

Ahh, but had the box been opened and had it been switched on? ;)

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 10:07 AM
Ahh, but had the box been opened and had it been switched on? ;)

NO ! :D

Darkroom

TimP
19th March 2019, 10:41 AM
Here we go again!

TimP
19th March 2019, 10:42 AM

Darkroom

Was that from the eBay outlet? If not, where from?

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 11:04 AM
Was that from the eBay outlet? If not, where from?

No, the eBay outlet and Roberts own site no longer had any stock. It was an ebay purchase from another seller. At the time, they had 2 available BNIB.

When Roberts site showed no stock of the 65i there seemed to be a mad rush on eBay and having been looking for a while I guess I was just lucky to find one in stock and at such a good price. Seems like there are only 2 on eBay now, both around £500

Darkroom

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 11:07 AM
Amazon are offering one for £369.95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Radio-Stream65i-Multi-Room-Bluetooth/dp/B008VPP44S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552993523&sr=8-1&keywords=roberts+stream+65i

Darkroom

TimP
19th March 2019, 11:39 AM
Might just have to click on the Amazon one, returns are easy too..... unless it’s a marketplace seller, which I try to avoid.

Thanks

Otto
19th March 2019, 11:41 AM
More than 10 available at £250 in the Roberts outlet store:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roberts-STREAM65I-Wireless-multi-room-system-with-CD-DAB-Bluetooth-Internet/153389079200

TimP
19th March 2019, 11:43 AM
It is marketplace (not Amazon anyway) but......might.........have........to........click .............must resist...... resistance is futile..... it means I’ll have to bung some more RJ45 in........ its in basket......... oh dear....

TimP
19th March 2019, 11:43 AM
More than 10 available at £250 in the Roberts outlet store:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roberts-STREAM65I-Wireless-multi-room-system-with-CD-DAB-Bluetooth-Internet/153389079200

Oh for goodness sake....

Rocknroll59
19th March 2019, 11:50 AM
Most if not all the free versions on line (Spotify etc) are compressed so I don't think they are that good, I use Quboz which I still use my free 3 month trial at the moment, the standard MP3 quality is £9-99 a month or £99-99 per year, no good for me though as the quality is really noticeable in difference on my system at home as I use the FLAC 16bit version.

Peter *chr

Otto
19th March 2019, 12:16 PM
Oh for goodness sake....

Just hit "buy now" Tim, you'll probably have it by this time tomorrow! *devil *chr

TimP
19th March 2019, 07:02 PM
Just hit "buy now" Tim, you'll probably have it by this time tomorrow! *devil *chr

Still resisting, if Amazon had been 250 Iíd have done it but eBay is a bit different and if there is a problem then Iíll have to pay return postage so hence the hesitation. Iím on the sauce right now so give it a hour or so and Iíll probably be good to go!

Darkroom
19th March 2019, 08:23 PM
Still resisting, if Amazon had been 250 Iíd have done it but eBay is a bit different and if there is a problem then Iíll have to pay return postage so hence the hesitation. Iím on the sauce right now so give it a hour or so and Iíll probably be good to go!

Tim, depending where you are going to house the Roberts, it may be worth noting that all sockets are on the back. This includes the headphone socket which mutes the internal speakers if plugged in. It's not a problem for me as I stream wirelessly to my hearing aids but some may find it a nuisance.

Have you clicked Buy yet ? You know you want to *yes

Darkroom

Otto
19th March 2019, 08:32 PM
Bluetooth headphones?

I think it only fair to admit my Roberts Coloustream does have an annoying habit of resetting itself now and then. Not often. Still it’s a discontinued product now and the Stream 93i has been reliable. I doubt any of these so-called smart devices are immune from bugs.

TimP
20th March 2019, 08:14 AM
Tim, depending where you are going to house the Roberts, it may be worth noting that all sockets are on the back. This includes the headphone socket which mutes the internal speakers if plugged in. It's not a problem for me as I stream wirelessly to my hearing aids but some may find it a nuisance.

Have you clicked Buy yet ? You know you want to *yes

Darkroom

Thanks. Yes, aware all is round the back, not an issue as I no longer possess any Ďphones. Still not clicked Ďbuy nowí so the urge may have passed. That doesnít solve the genuine requirement that existed before this thread though.

Jim Ford
20th March 2019, 09:10 AM
One Iíve built myself using a Raspberry Pi computer with two 1Tb hard drives. It cost less than £200 and uses about 5W of power so I let it run 24/7. The music player is another RPi running moOde audio, though any of my networked PCs can also access the server. The CDs were ripped to lossless flac files and my ears canít tell any noticeable difference between the streamed music and the CD player. I would like to be able to get my Roberts internet radio to access the file server too - thatís the next job.

I guess that the RPi music player outputs to a quality audio system, or headphones.

Jim

Otto
20th March 2019, 09:51 AM
It plays through the standard hi-fi just as the CD player does, yes. It's a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (https://www.modmypi.com/pis-and-peripherals-1139/raspberry-pi-3-model-b) together with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro (https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/audio-dacampdigi/dacs-digital-to-analogue-coverters-1044/hifiberry-dac-plus-pro) running moOde audio (http://moodeaudio.org/) software. The audio output from the DAC plugs into the amplifier.

The RPi runs "headless" i.e. it needs no keyboard or screen, it's controlled via any web browser (PC, phone, tablet) via wi-fi.

TimP
20th March 2019, 12:37 PM
Couldn’t resist any longer, just ordered it, luckily there was a 15% off code too, so £212.50.

Darkroom
20th March 2019, 12:43 PM
Couldn’t resist any longer, just ordered it, luckily there was a 15% off code too, so £212.50.

Well done Tim ! I spent a long time looking for an AIO music system and even before the massive 50% price reduction, nothing came close to the specs of the Roberts. With the reduction, IMHO it can't be beaten despite no longer being produced by Roberts.

Hope you enjoy *chr

Darkroom

TimP
20th March 2019, 01:55 PM
First problem will be getting it past the manager! I might have to apply another (fictitious) discount code!
:)

Jim Ford
20th March 2019, 07:40 PM
First problem will be getting it past the manager! I might have to apply another (fictitious) discount code!
:)

Your secret's safe with us, Tim! *devil

Jim

TimP
20th March 2019, 08:32 PM
I’ve been lucky over the years, bought some amazingly cheap stuff, from motorcycles to audio gear to cameras. If she only knew the half of it!

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 10:36 AM
Couldnít resist any longer, just ordered it, luckily there was a 15% off code too, so £212.50.

Has it arrived yet Tim ?

Darkroom

TimP
22nd March 2019, 01:17 PM
Nothing yet, I think it estimated Monday. Gonna have to find another EoP plug or buy another as I’m going to struggle to get Ethernet to the location. It’s wireless so may just end up using that. It is wireless isn’t it?

DerekW
22nd March 2019, 02:27 PM
Iíve been lucky over the years, bought some amazingly cheap stuff, from motorcycles to audio gear to cameras. If she only knew the half of it!

The problem might occur when she decides to sell it and bases the price on what you said it cost....

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 02:33 PM
Nothing yet, I think it estimated Monday. Gonna have to find another EoP plug or buy another as Iím going to struggle to get Ethernet to the location. Itís wireless so may just end up using that. It is wireless isnít it?

Yes Tim it is wireless, bluetooth and also Ethernet connection. My router is in another room and the Roberts connects perfectly.

Estimated Monday ? I didn't realise it was purchased from Asia :D

Darkroom

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 02:38 PM
The problem might occur when she decides to sell it and bases the price on what you said it cost....

I have a houseful of quality "Boys Toys" and that thought truly haunts me :)

Best thing would be to have an Ebay Fest before I pop my clogs.

Darkroom

TimP
22nd March 2019, 02:38 PM

I know! However I expect to be well gone then so someone will get a bargain, Iím sure.

TimP
22nd March 2019, 02:40 PM
Update: wife accepted a box from courier (first part of plan gone wrong at first hurdle!) so I’ll take a shufty when she pops out later....

Jim Ford
22nd March 2019, 03:32 PM
Update: wife accepted a box from courier (first part of plan gone wrong at first hurdle!) so I’ll take a shufty when she pops out later....

I suggest that you carefully open the box and remove its expensive contents, then replace them with something cheap and innocuous, followed by carefully resealing the box.

When your wife gets home make a show of opening the box and displaying the contents.

Just make sure that the replacement object is one that she would recognise as being cheap.

Your secret is still safe with us, but just remember that you owe us Big Time!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 03:52 PM
I suggest that you carefully open the box and remove its expensive contents, then replace them with something cheap and innocuous, followed by carefully resealing the box.

When your wife gets home make a show of opening the box and displaying the contents.

Just make sure that the replacement object is one that she would recognise as being cheap.

Your secret is still safe with us, but just remember that you owe us Big Time!

Jim

I can offer some vacuum cleaner or washing machine parts if that helps. ;)

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 03:54 PM
I know! However I expect to be well gone then so someone will get a bargain, Iím sure.

I think the problem might occur when SWMBO realises just how many cameras I have. In my defence I could point towards the wardrobe and her shoe shelf. ;)

TimP
22nd March 2019, 04:06 PM
The camera thing is easy, I just buy black ones and they all look the same.

Now, first thoughts, having got it all up and running, CD (how quaint, rotating media!) plays fine it just doesn’t know what it’s playing. Is that right? I was expecting it to pop off to Gracenote and identify the album?

Naughty Nigel
22nd March 2019, 06:07 PM

A bight red dot on the front is a bit of a giveaway though. *yes

TimP
22nd March 2019, 07:01 PM
A bight red dot on the front is a bit of a giveaway though. *yes

Only to those wot know! Iíd just tell her it was a factory second.

Darkroom
22nd March 2019, 08:17 PM

Now, first thoughts, having got it all up and running, CD (how quaint, rotating media!) plays fine it just doesnít know what itís playing. Is that right? I was expecting it to pop off to Gracenote and identify the album?

Sorry Tim, I forgot to mention about the CD titles, it just shows track numbers. It doesn't show the titles of the 78rpm records on my turntable either :D

Doesn't really bother me as mine in fitted into an entertainment unit and about 12 inches off the floor, so unless I lie flat on the floor I can't read the display anyway. I simply rely on the phone app. or remote control. Actually, If I was to lay flat on the floor, I would need a block & tackle to get me up again. *yes

Darkroom

TimP
23rd March 2019, 09:09 AM
It’s not only CD titles but also MP3s on an SD card too....hmmmmm....this might be going back.....
I’m guessing it will be exactly the same with USB so how about streamed tracks, does it show artist and track names then?

Otto
23rd March 2019, 12:55 PM
I would like to be able to get my Roberts internet radio to access the file server too - thatís the next job.

And with a little help from the MoOde audio forum that is now working. My two Roberts internet radios can now stream from my NAS and display track titles. Neither has a CD player but when playing files from a USB stick the filenames are displayed, thatís all. I might have expected embedded artwork to be displayed but no. The Colourstream would display artwork from last.fm but that is now defunct. The Stream 93i has Spotify Connect instead and I assume that displays artwork but Iím not going to sign up to find out!

TimP
23rd March 2019, 04:06 PM
Just done a quick test of USB and it don’t display any track / artist info on their either. It’s going back. Seems crazy that all local media playback has no proper info, when a 10 yr old cheapo Sony system that it’s replacing has.

Otto
23rd March 2019, 08:54 PM
It can only display info embedded in the mp3 files (or similar). You can cycle through this info using the info button. If there’s a jpg image embedded it should display that subject to a maximum image size of 640x480px. That’s according to the Stream 93i manual. Yours should say something similar in the “music player”section. These things are arcane!