PDA

View Full Version : New Olympus E-450 previewed

Four Thirds User
31st March 2009, 07:10 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/E-450_7.jpg

Olympus third new DSLR in four months is the E-450, an enhanced version of the popular compact and light E-420. Find out what the E-450 has to offer in our launch preview.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/03/new_olympus_e450_previewed.php)

Ian
31st March 2009, 07:20 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/E-450_7.jpg

Olympus third new DSLR in four months is the E-450, an enhanced version of the popular compact and light E-420. Find out what the E-450 has to offer in our launch preview.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/03/new_olympus_e450_previewed.php)

The third new E-System DSLR in almost as many months - so with the advent of Micro Four Thirds, Olympus isn't committed to Four Thirds? :D

Ian

crimbo
31st March 2009, 07:39 AM
Okay so early days yet but I am confused...
the 620 is a BLS battery based camera with IS so why the 450? a BLS based camera without IS... I wonder what the pricing differences are going to be?...

Anyway Ian, get us a sample of either and I will do a ful test for you!!!

and yes Oly may not of thought of this but I am basing my upgrades on being BLS compatable ... you can only have so many battery types and chargers around...

Ian
31st March 2009, 08:44 AM
Okay so early days yet but I am confused...
the 620 is a BLS battery based camera with IS so why the 450? a BLS based camera without IS... I wonder what the pricing differences are going to be?...

Anyway Ian, get us a sample of either and I will do a ful test for you!!!

and yes Oly may not of thought of this but I am basing my upgrades on being BLS compatable ... you can only have so many battery types and chargers around...

The 450 is all about price. The E-420 will probably disappear, leaving the E-450 as the entry-level model. The E-620 is inbetween the E-520 and the E-30 and is a fair bit more expensive.

Ian

StephenL
31st March 2009, 08:45 AM
I have to agree on this point. Battery life is shorter on the BLS batteries, as well as being a different battery to the E-5xx and E-3 range. It's about the only thing putting me off the E-620...

photo_owl
31st March 2009, 10:04 AM
I really haven't noticed any practical differences between the 400 and 510 or 3 batterywise - cold, heavy use of LV, constant reviewing etc all have a bigger impact than which one I walk out the door with. That said I am not arguing with the stated capacities and available shots - the BLM holds more power.

With regard to the 450 - I am slightly confused but cutting through it all I see a 420 with updated software that includes 3 art filters and face detection, and an altered dial that can access them. Have I missed anything?

Ian
31st March 2009, 10:15 AM
I really haven't noticed any practical differences between the 400 and 510 or 3 batterywise - cold, heavy use of LV, constant reviewing etc all have a bigger impact than which one I walk out the door with. That said I am not arguing with the stated capacities and available shots - the BLM holds more power.

With regard to the 450 - I am slightly confused but cutting through it all I see a 420 with updated software that includes 3 art filters and face detection, and an altered dial that can access them. Have I missed anything?

The E-420 already has face detection. But useful differences the E-450 can boast include two extra RAW shots in the buffer (8 instead of 6) and up to 30 minutes Bulb mode instead of just 8 minutes previously. The spot meter mode now coves 2% of the frame instead of 1%. I wonder if that is to help AF with bright lenses work better?

Ian

photo_owl
31st March 2009, 10:38 AM
Cheers Ian, that explains the 'technical enhancements' in your email then I guess.

Re the 1->2% I suspect that has more to do with the almost unusable nature of spot metering on subject with variation in them - I have a great sequence of a male pheasant hiding in the shade where they range from spot on to wildly over and under. I selected spot for obvious reasons but from review some shots were on the white specks, some the black and some the brown! CW might have been a better option but 2% spot makes a lot more sense than 1% to me.

Ian
31st March 2009, 10:50 AM
Cheers Ian, that explains the 'technical enhancements' in your email then I guess.

Re the 1->2% I suspect that has more to do with the almost unusable nature of spot metering on subject with variation in them - I have a great sequence of a male pheasant hiding in the shade where they range from spot on to wildly over and under. I selected spot for obvious reasons but from review some shots were on the white specks, some the black and some the brown! CW might have been a better option but 2% spot makes a lot more sense than 1% to me.

My advice is to use spot for meter readings and then switch to manual :)

I did actually confuse spot metering with the central AF point :o

Ian

shenstone
31st March 2009, 11:59 AM
Looks a tidy little upgrade at the entry level

I'm confused as to why it's 450 not 430 in sequence - they'll be getting to 500 fairly soon with that numbering and then we have real confusion :rolleyes:

Me for one I'm happy to see this flow continue - 530/550 next or E-4?

Regards
Andy

donmcmahan
31st March 2009, 12:15 PM
about the numbering sequence don't forget there was no E2. on the bls battery i suspect that the blm just wouldn't fit in the worlds smallest dslr, now a few years later as miniaturization has progressed maybe you could cram a blm in but the bls has become a legacy battery that they don't want to abandon.

yorky
31st March 2009, 03:57 PM
Lets hope they hold off the E4/5 for awhile, I can't afford one?