PDA

View Full Version : 14 mm 2.5 or 17mm 2.8

Pistnbroke
26th February 2019, 07:16 AM
I recently purchased a 14mm f 2,5 to use on the M5 to make it a walk about pocketable camera ...But its so soft its not usable. Would a change to the 17mm f2.8 improve things significantly. Its certainly not as sharp as the 15mm f8 lens cap I sold !!

zuiko-holic
26th February 2019, 08:26 AM
The Panasonic 14mm soft?!?

It must be a really bad copy.
I used to have both the Zuiko 17mm and Lumix 14mm; even though I preferred the 17mm focal length I ended up using the 14mm more because the AF was faster.

I certainly hadn't noticed significant softness on the 14mm; true, best f was 4 but it was reasonably sharp @ f/2.5 too.

If you purchased it new maybe you should replace it under warranty.

Pistnbroke
26th February 2019, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the fast reply..Will do some more tests and try to come to a conclusion.

MJ224
26th February 2019, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the fast reply..Will do some more tests and try to come to a conclusion.

Be good to see those......*chr

pdk42
26th February 2019, 09:08 AM
Be good to see those......*chr
A picture paints a thousand words.

Pistnbroke
1st March 2019, 07:18 AM
I am sure this will make you all very happy ..I stuffed up. Its a long time since I used the camera ..it was overcast and late in the afternoon. I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit and the shutter speed dropped too low to freeze the slight motion in the shot . Re tested in the sunlight and the pic was sharp.

Zuiko
1st March 2019, 08:51 AM
I am sure this will make you all very happy ..I stuffed up. Its a long time since I used the camera ..it was overcast and late in the afternoon. I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit and the shutter speed dropped too low to freeze the slight motion in the shot . Re tested in the sunlight and the pic was sharp.

It doesn't make me happy that you stuffed up, I do it all the time. At least you have held your hands up to the flaw in this particular test and I hope the lens continues to perform to your satisfaction.

pdk42
1st March 2019, 03:09 PM
I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit

What's that about tools and the workman?