PDA

View Full Version : Death Caused by iPad Battery?

Harold Gough
18th February 2019, 05:27 PM
Battery caused fire:

https://www.grahamcluley.com/apple-sued-over-death-blamed-on-faulty-ipad-battery/

Harold

wornish
18th February 2019, 05:43 PM
Battery caused fire:

https://www.grahamcluley.com/apple-sued-over-death-blamed-on-faulty-ipad-battery/

Harold

I don't hold out a lot of hope of them being successful in their claim for compensation. The article makes a point in saying that Apple has shipped over 2 Billion iPhones and iPads that use lithium batteries and if they had a product design problem or a production problem it would have shown up by now. Have to agree.

Very sad about the fire but I think this is the family trying it on IHMO.

Naughty Nigel
18th February 2019, 07:22 PM
None of the electrical equipment that we use is totally safe against fire.

I have no doubt that Apple will mount a robust defence, and will look in detail at each and every contributory factor, including whether a genuine Apple power adaptor was being used.

Apple may have a lot of money but they don't give it away willingly.

Jim Ford
18th February 2019, 09:29 PM
Apple may have a lot of money but they don't give it away willingly.

Apple's lawyers will say to the claimant 'Our client has set aside $5 million dollars to fight this case - how much have you set aside?'

Jim

wornish
18th February 2019, 09:33 PM
Apple's lawyers will say to the claimant 'Our client has set aside $5 million dollars to fight this case - how much have you set aside?'

Jim

Maybe true or maybe not ?

But, they and other large companies are a target for anyone to have a go and try and get something from them, its life in America ( oh and developing here)

2 Billion to 1 is pretty strong evidence that it's not a design fault IMHO.

Naughty Nigel
18th February 2019, 10:08 PM

Jim

I don't doubt it. When I worked for a large corporate (part of the Courtaulds Group at the time) we had no end of chancers trying their luck on in the hope of getting a few free tins of paint!

This was in the early 1980's. It was only when we computerised the complaints system that we realised just how often some of these people had tried it on!