PDA

View Full Version : Focus stacking in landscape photography

Walti
17th February 2019, 08:44 PM
Does anyone here use focus stacking (or bracketing) for landscape photos?

Was chatting to my daughters partner about a well known landscape photographer (the name has gone from my limited memory I'm afraid) who seems to have a signature technique of very close and close foregrounds in focus as well as the rest of the far distant landscape...

At f8 and above my little 7.5mm lens seems to give me that as long as the very close is more than 250mm from the focal plane... so I'm not sure I can see the benefit.

Anyone any experience of this?

Naughty Nigel
17th February 2019, 10:40 PM
Joe Cornish uses (or used) this technique with his large format (5x4") field cameras.

The lens is fitted to a bellows, and may be tilted independently of the camera body. This not only provides perspective correction, but if tilted downwards allows foreground detail such as stones and leaves to be captured in focus simultaneously with distant objects; therefore no focus stacking is required.

Before Googling for a device to fit your Olympus remember that large format cameras have very shallow depth of field; therefore innovative techniques are required to take photographs with depth of field approaching what we take for granted.

I use a pair of medium format cameras, (one 6x4.5 and the other 6x7), and even with these the difference in the depth of field achievable compared with 43 is quite remarkable. It is also worth noting that the lenses on these larger cameras usually stop down to f32 or even f45.

Edit: Actually a week or so ago I was talking about a vintage 5x4" camera that I had been given. See Post Here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49719)

The photograph below gives you some idea of what I am trying to explain. As you will see the lens plate may be moved about in almost any direction independently of the camera body.

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2016/3/27/e/b/b/ebb81e26-f413-11e5-8d82-2123d5117c32.jpg

alfbranch
17th February 2019, 11:44 PM
Walti
Have a look at this depth of Field calculator and you will find that if you try and repeat that with a larger sensor it will not work. The photographer is using stacking to use the sweet spot aperture of the lens thus getting the sharpest image possible I suspect.