PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem with E500 Body

Barrie Norman
29th March 2009, 05:11 PM
I went out, Travelling light, E500 ZD 70-300 EC20 spare battery and card in pocket, I shot about 50 frames Apature priority f/8.0 ISO 200 white ballance "Auto" Fairly good day sunny but with clouds. Then I noticed that the shutter speed was 1/4000 when I checked the image on the display, blue cast and under exposed, I checked the white ballance ant it was at "custom 3500" I may have accidently pressed the custom button but I had not noticed! I reset the white ballance to Auto and tried a few shots hite ballance OK but still shutter speed 1/4000 and vastly under exposed, setting the camera to auto mode solved the exposure, I turned back to "A" and the problem persisted, the only way I cured it was to go through the menu and select "factory reset" after about a half hour the same thing happened, but this time it was after I had fitted the EC20. Any one out there had this experience? or any thoughts.

I await your thoughts

Archphoto
29th March 2009, 05:19 PM
I expect something messed-up your settings.....
Any lightning had lately ?

Maybe you could try this: remove the battery from the E500 and leave it out for a couple of day's ans then put it in again.
You probably have to set the date and time correctly again.

By the way, charge the battery in the mean time.

Otherwise ??????????????

Peter

StephenL
29th March 2009, 05:38 PM
Might be worth gently cleaning the lens/body contacts?

Barrie Norman
29th March 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your ideas, I did change the battry and I have looked at the contacts and cleaned them but I suspect that the problem is in the body, this body has had very little use realy less than 5K shutter operations so it should be good but you just don't know

MarkVarley
29th March 2009, 08:22 PM
did you accidently set the exposure compensation way way down?

Barrie Norman
30th March 2009, 07:10 PM
did you accidently set the exposure compensation way way down?

Mark

No I checked that, Ill try it again I have no idea what happened but it certainly is strange.

Archphoto
30th March 2009, 09:21 PM
This has nothing to with the amount of shutter clicks.
Something upsets the working of the internal electronics, probably.

Once you start thinking that way it could be a screw that went loose or whatever,

I am afraid that the best thing to do is sending it to Olympus, but they are not cheap.
Try talking to them first......

Sorry,
Peter

joeletx
31st March 2009, 02:19 AM
... Any one out there had this experience? or any thoughts.

I await your thoughts

I had this happenned twice on the E-500 body. The shots came out with blue cast and way underexposed and ruinned half sozen of shots before I discovered it. Luckily I was be able to reset to "MyMode 1" and brought everything back to normal. The second time it happenned, I found that the "Fn" button that was assigned by default to set the WB and wait for me the press the button. When I figured this out, I permanently reset the "Fn" button to "MyMode 1" and that resolved the problem for ever.

Barrie Norman
31st March 2009, 04:06 PM
I had this happenned twice on the E-500 body. The shots came out with blue cast and way underexposed and ruinned half sozen of shots before I discovered it. Luckily I was be able to reset to "MyMode 1" and brought everything back to normal. The second time it happenned, I found that the "Fn" button that was assigned by default to set the WB and wait for me the press the button. When I figured this out, I permanently reset the "Fn" button to "MyMode 1" and that resolved the problem for ever.

Thanks for your advice

I have tryed the camera again over the last two days and everything seems fine, I didnt have the function button on "WB" I have had it set to Depth of field Preview, because one of my manual lenes has a dandilion AF confirm chip fitted and you need this setting to activate it but I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will think about snding it to Oly for a service.

Many thanks to all the people who have replyed its good to know that ther is always help out there!