PDA

View Full Version : DavidJ............first uploads

DavidJ1609
29th March 2009, 03:56 AM
Hello,

I have dabbled in photography on and off, and would like to get better. i used to have a Canon EOS-5 with loads of kit before the divorce. Yep, I had to sell!

I settled on the E-400 because it looked great in the shop and was (ahem) firmware upgradeable.:mad:

I find my FujiF20 takes stunning shots as a point and shoot, and I struggle to get the same exposure! My wife laughs at the time I take to set a shot up. :p however, there are many times when I get it right, and the quality of composition is improving.

I would like some help: :)

1) What books could I look at to help with composition. Some people can take a wonderful picture of a nail in a piece of wood!

3) What book can help me understand how to get a better dynamic range/exposure. I seem to suffer from blown highlights a lot on bright overcast days, but lowering the exposure darkens the shadows too much.

3) How do I upload large pictures, like others in the forums. I tried with the size restriction listed, and they are a lot smaller. They appear as "Thumbnails", though I think I followed the instructions. You can see the first two in photo-fair. They are not appearing inline, and are much smaller.

Regards, with thanks in advance for any help,

DavidJ.

Nick Temple-Fry
29th March 2009, 11:09 AM
Well it would be a shame to miss out on photographs of china ;)

The 2 files you show seem to be attachments to the message rather than images in the message.

First you need to decide whether you want to show images from your e-group gallery - which is currently empty - or from another on-line gallery.

If you want to show them from the gallery then you need to load them first - so it's Gallery (from the grey bar on top) then Upload Photos - which will be on the rhs of the screen and follow the instructions.

Gallery files should be sized between about 100 and 200 kb (but can be bigger). There seems to be no width restriction - but there is a hight restriction of 800.

To get the image into the message use either the image button (looks like a postcard with a stamp and mountain on it) which is just above the text area and insert the web address of the image. Or if it's in the gallery use My Pics -on the rhs of the message composition pane. My Pics has a drop down list of how to display the image. Or - if the pics are in the gallery - copy the code from under the displayed picture.

It really is a lot simpler than my explanation - honest.

Nick

DavidJ1609
29th March 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks, will do more later this week. Just reinstalling Windows. :(

crimbo
30th March 2009, 06:39 AM
Welcome David - dont worry about having an E400 and nothing fancy like the newer stuff...I use the E400 and love it. the only upgrade I am looking for is IS but having never had it in the film days I am not sure if I will be disappointed when I do get it...
You have the basic kit...all you need to start with...you have been shown hoe to upload images and once they are in the Oly gallery you can copy the link into your message so others can see them...
So step one done... now step two...lets sort out the exposure so when you are ready start posting images for us to see...

Ellie
30th March 2009, 12:20 PM
Hi David :)

Nothing at all wrong with the E-400, it's a good camera that's easy to carry around all day.

A good book would be "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Most libraries will have a copy, but it's also for sale online. The current "best price" http://www.comparebookprices.co.uk/CompareBookPrices.aspx seems to be from Aprohead (http://aphrohead.com/Product.aspx?pid=15104862) 11.41

Look here for Digital Photography Composition Tips (http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips), there are loads of other similar articles online.

DavidJ1609
2nd April 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ellie, I have a resolution to get back into my hobby and enjoy it more.
All work and no play, and all that :).

DavidJ.

beyond_words
3rd April 2009, 09:59 AM
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question about what books to read to help with composition, I'm reading one at the moment called The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman that's worth a look.

With best wishes,

Graeme

DavidJ1609
6th April 2009, 02:47 PM
Thank you all. I am ordering a couple of books, and will search the web for tips.

I will upload a few of my favourites from my collection to the gallery.

DavidJ.