PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a stomach ulcer?

Gate Keeper
6th February 2019, 04:30 PM
Monday night, I had an awfully bad pain in the stomach and started vomiting - lots of blood and it was running out of me at the other end, I felt ghastly. Monday night I was admitted into hospital in Nairobi. Cut a long story short, yesterday I had an endoscopy and a large stomach ulcer was found. I am waiting to hear the results of the biopsies. I was told the ulcer’s bleeding points were injected/clipped to stop the bleed. I am on a Nexium i/v pump, a syringe driver to speed up healing.

Has this happened to anyone? and how did it go? *chr

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/GateKeeper_/gate%20keeper/8724751D-8154-4C39-969B-CCBA44AF3501.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/gate%20keeper/8724751D-8154-4C39-969B-CCBA44AF3501.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/GateKeeper_/gate%20keeper/6E71FB0B-241E-4725-8EE2-3A037406823D.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/gate%20keeper/6E71FB0B-241E-4725-8EE2-3A037406823D.jpg.html)

Jim Ford
6th February 2019, 04:44 PM
Looks like it was caught in time Phil. I hope that you continue to mend.

I think it was fairly recently (80's ?) that it was discovered that gastric ulcers can often be caused by bacteria. Up until then it was said that bacteria couldn't survive in stomach acid conditions.

Jim

Phill D
6th February 2019, 04:48 PM
Luckily so far I've managed to avoid that particular complaint. Impressed you were able to post images, not a normal selfie! Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back shooting wildlife soon.

MJ224
6th February 2019, 04:51 PM
Phil, Our thoughts are with you, and look forward to a good recovery. I have had minor ulcers in the stomach, easily treated by pills etc. Glad they have diagnosed you in good time, just keep the camera handy...……..*chr

Keith-369
6th February 2019, 04:58 PM
A frightening time indeed. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. *chr

DerekW
6th February 2019, 05:04 PM
The endoscopy camera was most likely an Olympus product so you can show the movie on the forum.

Remember if we do not see it it is false news..

Get well

Otto
6th February 2019, 05:14 PM
Get well soon Phil! Stomach ulcers used to be quite commonly in the news at one time but it's quite a while since I saw a reference to them.

A friend of mine had an endoscopy a couple of years ago, they wanted to go down his throat and up his back side. He asked if they would kindly do the throat first :D.

drmarkf
6th February 2019, 09:04 PM
Blimey - hang in there, squire!

Wally
6th February 2019, 09:08 PM
Having just undergone the same procedure in the last 48 hrs, I can sympathise. I had a few samples taken and was shown the photo's straight away by the senior nurse / photographer. Any tissue results need to be clarified by the surgeon in charge. Fingers crossed all goes well and, as others have said, here's to a speedy recovery with hopefully no further procedures being required.

As things go, I'm well ahead of you as this last one, deep throat ;) was my third ... each one a different orifice. I checked, it was an Olympus camera.*yes

Keith-369
6th February 2019, 09:14 PM
Hope all is well for you too, Wally.

Jim Ford
6th February 2019, 09:17 PM
Get well soon Phil! Stomach ulcers used to be quite commonly in the news at one time but it's quite a while since I saw a reference to them.

I think that they're treated quite readily with a course antibiotics nowadays.

Jim

MJ224
6th February 2019, 10:24 PM
Having just undergone the same procedure in the last 48 hrs, I can sympathise. I had a few samples taken and was shown the photo's straight away by the senior nurse / photographer. Any tissue results need to be clarified by the surgeon in charge. Fingers crossed all goes well and, as others have said, here's to a speedy recovery with hopefully no further procedures being required.

As things go, I'm well ahead of you as this last one, deep throat ;) was my third ... each one a different orifice. I checked, it was an Olympus camera.*yes

Hopefully not the Em1 X...………….*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
6th February 2019, 10:45 PM
My father went through that too. Once sorted out, he was perfectly ok.

Very best wishes for as speedy a recovery as you can have.

Harold Gough
7th February 2019, 07:30 AM

I think it was fairly recently (80's ?) that it was discovered that gastric ulcers can often be caused by bacteria. Up until then it was said that bacteria couldn't survive in stomach acid conditions.

Jim

Helicobacter pylori but eliminating it is not the answer as it also has beneficial functions in the stomach.

Harold

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 09:31 AM

Jim

Thank you Jim, your a gold mine of information. I have learned never to underestimate what people know and don’t know in this club.

drmarkf
7th February 2019, 09:49 AM
I can't think of any advantages of having helicobacter infection, while the only disadvantages of treatment are those associated with any antibiotic use.

Here's a decent summary of the practical aspects written as information aimed at patients, which I hope is useful if that is what Phil has got: https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Patient-leaflets/Gastroenterology/5149-4-Helicobacter-Pylori.pdf

Harold Gough
7th February 2019, 10:12 AM
I can't think of any advantages of having helicobacter infection, while the only disadvantages of treatment are those associated with any antibiotic use.[/url]

An interesting way of putting it!

Patient information is not always all there is. More from the NHS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4291894/

Harold

Wally
7th February 2019, 10:14 AM
Hopefully not the Em1 X...………….

It's not the camera that is the problem, it's the cable it's attached to. *yes This character size looks to be roughly the same diameter. O
Some things are harder to swallow than others... ;)

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 10:27 AM
Luckily so far I've managed to avoid that particular complaint. Impressed you were able to post images, not a normal selfie! Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back shooting wildlife soon.

Thank you Phil. I think I had a lucky escape and I continue to improve. When we met at Westonbirt, you looked so relaxed and calm, I couldn’t picture you getting an ulcer. I certainly am looking forward to getting back to Wildlife Photography.

Wally
7th February 2019, 10:36 AM
Thank you Phil. --> I think I had a lucky escape and I continue to improve. When we met at Westonbirt, you looked so relaxed and calm, I couldn’t picture you getting an ulcer. I certainly am looking forward to getting back to Wildlife Photography.

*yes Good news is always welcome. Here's to a speedy recovery. :tup

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 10:42 AM
Phil, Our thoughts are with you, and look forward to a good recovery. I have had minor ulcers in the stomach, easily treated by pills etc. Glad they have diagnosed you in good time, just keep the camera handy...……..*chr

Thank you Mark for those thoughts. I never saw it coming, no symptoms or warning. Today I have come off the Nexium pump. I am still on I/V meds and starting to eat, even though the appetite is not there. Lunch arrived on a tray - Cream of Pumpkin soup, Grilled Nile Perch Fillet, Warmed Apple Pie with cream. The wife ate the fish and apple pie, I had the soup.

Yesterday she complained to the doctors about my snoring and asked if anything can be done? In follow up, the doc was fast organising something. Last night I was on a sleep apnoea machine to test the snoring out.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/GateKeeper_/gate%20keeper/E933134F-58DF-4A8E-BCDE-36189FA5408F.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/gate%20keeper/E933134F-58DF-4A8E-BCDE-36189FA5408F.jpg.html)

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 10:47 AM
A frightening time indeed. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. *chr

Thank you Keith and my apologies to you and all of my mates for my late reply.

Jim Ford
7th February 2019, 11:05 AM
Will your treatment be covered by the NHS in some way?

Jim

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 11:32 AM
I can't think of any advantages of having helicobacter infection, while the only disadvantages of treatment are those associated with any antibiotic use.

Here's a decent summary of the practical aspects written as information aimed at patients, which I hope is useful if that is what Phil has got: https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Patient-leaflets/Gastroenterology/5149-4-Helicobacter-Pylori.pdf

Hi Mark, thank you for that. I am under 2 teams, physicians and a Gastroenterologist.

At 05:30 I had bloods. The blood lady said the results are available online by 08:00 for the doctors. At 07:30 the Gastro Man visited and he examined me. He said my stool results were negative for infection and blood.

He wants me to have a Colonoscopy because of my age, continuous diarrhoea and cancer in the family. He queried small ulcers in the bowel, but he will talk to the physicians first about stopping my Clopidogrel for 5-7 days before he goes in.

2 yrs ago I had a femoral bypass for a popliteal occlusion, hence the blood thinners.

At 11:00 the physicians arrive laughing and joking. It felt nice, happiness filled the air. The senior registrar says to his boss, “let’s stop the Nexium pump and push the Nexium twice a day - he has a cannula”. Full of enthusiasm, he goes on and says “ Let’s start eradication therapy”. His boss, says “hold on Tonto! speak to Dr Gastro first - we must get the biopsy results before anything else”.

The senior reg says ok, can we prep him for a colonoscopy whilst he is in with us”. Then I say, 7 days is too long to wait, can’t I have it as an outpatient. (Private Health). They agree. Stop the Clopidogrel tonight. They asked about my diarrhoea. I told them I took a photo of it in the bedpan and the bedpan has not been emptied .....joy, joy, joy! They loved that photo and seeing the poo all liquified, most helpful. Thank you very much Phil. It was curiously comical.

I am making progress in the right direction. Not started on antibiotics, pending biopsy results.

Logging out for now, I have been told to rest.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 11:34 AM
Will your treatment be covered by the NHS in some way?

Jim

No liability for the NHS Jim. We are not affiliated in Kenya to the NHS or the EU ;)

Harold Gough
7th February 2019, 11:47 AM
Yesterday she complained to the doctors about my snoring and asked if anything can be done? In follow up, the doc was fast organising something. Last night I was on a sleep apnoea machine to test the snoring out.

Never let your wife find you helpless. They each have their own agenda.

All the best for a speedy and full recovery.

Harold

Jim Ford
7th February 2019, 01:46 PM
No liability for the NHS Jim.

I was hoping that as I'm sure that you've made many U.K. National Insurance contributions, that you'd get the benefit!

Jim

Jim Ford
7th February 2019, 02:56 PM
It's not the camera that is the problem, it's the cable it's attached to. *yes This character size looks to be roughly the same diameter. O
Some things are harder to swallow than others... ;)

I thought that it might be the size of a shower hose! ;)

Jim

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 03:59 PM
I was hoping that as I'm sure that you've made many U.K. National Insurance contributions, that you'd get the benefit!

Jim

Thank you for the thought Jim. I paid in from the age of 18 when I started work for the NHS until I retired on a full NHS pension. Living in Kenya, I am covered private health insurance through a company called AXAPPP. Yesterday, one of their agents visited me to validate everything. She said she gets all the bills and has to scrutinise them for anything not agreed. When I was admitted into A&E, AXAPPP in the UK had to be contacted for approval of the costs involved and they had to send a guarantee through to the hospital immediately. If there is treatment not covered by the hospital, evacuation and repatriation to another country where it is provided, is included in the AXA plan.

I should add, there is no welfare state in Kenya

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 04:05 PM
*yes Good news is always welcome. Here's to a speedy recovery. :tup

Thank you Wally, kind man.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 04:12 PM

Thank you Mark, that was easy to read with no jargon or anything scary. A useful document.

Jim Ford
7th February 2019, 04:19 PM
I should add, there is no welfare state in Kenya

We had a young female Kenyan student lodger some years ago. She use to refer to Kenya as 'Boys' Town' because of the corruption.

The Kenyan High Commission used to delay sending her cheques for months, I guess because they were collecting the interest they generated in a bank account. I was incensed and phoned them and was told that 'We're men of the World' and that he had the cheque in front of him for signing! I told him that student like her were the future of Kenya and should be supported.

Jim

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 04:26 PM
An interesting way of putting it!

Patient information is not always all there is. More from the NHS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4291894/

Harold

It’s always interesting to read the research on H. pylori. Thank you Harold for taking the time to seek it out and post it up.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 04:32 PM
The endoscopy camera was most likely an Olympus product so you can show the movie on the forum.

Remember if we do not see it it is false news..

Get well

Hahahaha Derek, for making me smile and chuckle. Unfortunately I was sparked out when the camera went down and I missed the show :D

drmarkf
7th February 2019, 04:33 PM
Hey, Phil, that meal looks scrumptious! Hope you're able to enjoy it.

Obviously this isn't the place to discuss medicine & microbiology in any depth, but I will just say the journal Harold quoted is one which publishes speculative articles for discussion, and that is the intention of that article on any possible symbiosis between H pylori and the human stomach.

Apart from the unpleasant side-effect that Phil has perhaps suffered already, there are a variety of rare but even more unpleasant possible outcomes as well (which the author of that paper has also published on, but doesn't mention in that paper).

Anyway, I'm not going to add any more, but I give Phil my very best wishes and recommend he speaks to his own doctors and nurses for all health-related information: they know his case, which we here do not, plus the various management options available locally.

Walti
7th February 2019, 04:38 PM
Just so you all know...

An endoscopy at both ends is commonly known as a choke and poke!

Originally an Australian term I think!

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 07:12 PM
Hey, Phil, that meal looks scrumptious! Hope you're able to enjoy it.

Obviously this isn't the place to discuss medicine & microbiology in any depth, but I will just say the journal Harold quoted is one which publishes speculative articles for discussion, and that is the intention of that article on any possible symbiosis between H pylori and the human stomach.

Apart from the unpleasant side-effect that Phil has perhaps suffered already, there are a variety of rare but even more unpleasant possible outcomes as well (which the author of that paper has also published on, but doesn't mention in that paper).

Anyway, I'm not going to add any more, but I give Phil my very best wishes and recommend he speaks to his own doctors and nurses for all health-related information: they know his case, which we here do not, plus the various management options available locally.

Thank you Mark for your good wishes. Over the years I decided not to research my symptoms or ailments because it’s easy to get misdirected or scared by what is available online. Not everyone will agree with my approach. On my car forum today, one of the discussions was about statins. I kept out of it.

It’s been encouraging to hear from fellow members about their experiences and how they got on. Thanks folks and thank you Mark for your comments.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 07:22 PM

Hi Wally, how are you doing? Thank you for your kind thoughts. I didn’t know Olympus provided the cameras for these special tests. I have learned something new. I hope everything works out for you, positive thoughts.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 07:27 PM

A friend of mine had an endoscopy a couple of years ago, they wanted to go down his throat and up his back side. He asked if they would kindly do the throat first :D.

Thank you Richard for writing and I must say, I rather like your friends preferences. I am not sure why I said that *chr

Gate Keeper
7th February 2019, 07:48 PM
We had a young female Kenyan student lodger some years ago. She use to refer to Kenya as 'Boys' Town' because of the corruption.

The Kenyan High Commission used to delay sending her cheques for months, I guess because they were collecting the interest they generated in a bank account. I was incensed and phoned them and was told that 'We're men of the World' and that he had the cheque in front of him for signing! I told him that student like her were the future of Kenya and should be supported.

Jim

Shocking! How fortunate for the young lady you were there Jim to make the call and to make the stand, I commend your actions unreservedly. I am not sure what the answer is to corruption and bribery.

Wee man
8th February 2019, 08:52 AM
Hope things have settled down and you are on the mend.
Been there once they got me sorted life was much better.
Last time I had a scope test my doctor kindly moved the screen to give me a good view as the camera went up. Bit of a waste as I was heavily sedated ( at my insistence) throughout.

Wally you take care also.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jim Ford
8th February 2019, 10:13 AM
David Sedaris did a hilarious monologue about when he had a colonoscopy, called 'The Happy Place'. It's well worth searching for.

Jim

Harold Gough
8th February 2019, 10:37 AM
Just so you all know...

An endoscopy at both ends is commonly known as a choke and poke!

Originally an Australian term I think!

The last thing you need is a focus stacking enthusiast on the camera! :eek:

Harold

OM USer
8th February 2019, 02:35 PM
Looking for a good recovery from you Phil. Is that a thumbs up in the first post?

Gate Keeper
9th February 2019, 07:11 PM
Hope things have settled down and you are on the mend.
Been there once they got me sorted life was much better.
Last time I had a scope test my doctor kindly moved the screen to give me a good view as the camera went up. Bit of a waste as I was heavily sedated ( at my insistence) throughout.

Wally you take care also.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you Ed, it’s reassuring to know that life got better for you. The docs let me home for the weekend. I am going back in on Monday for blood tests. On Tuesday its the biopsy results and the bloods will be ready, to see if I am fit enough for the Colonoscopy on Wednesday. Today, I have been out walking and keeping active. Eating and drinking is still painful, no single malt tonight, but it’s great to be home.

Gate Keeper
9th February 2019, 07:23 PM
Looking for a good recovery from you Phil. Is that a thumbs up in the first post?

Thank you Jeremy, it is indeed. This afternoon amongst the Bougainvillea was a Swallowtail in bright blue and I didn’t have my camera with me. There is always tomorrow.

Gate Keeper
13th February 2019, 03:35 PM

How are you Wally?

Today it was Colonoscopy under sedation and I didn’t feel a thing. I declined photos of the sights. Believe or not, I am a bit of a wuss when viewing my insides. All that was found was haemorrhoids, much relief! I am back home this evening. I can get back on with life and Photography. Still no results from the stomach ulcer biopsy. The Gastroenterologist doesn’t think there is a malignancy and he doesn’t think the ulcer is caused by the H. Pylori infection, because of its location.

In follow up, I wanted to bring closure. Thank you all for your concerns and especially a big thanks goes to the witty reprobates who cheered me up*chr

Keith-369
13th February 2019, 04:16 PM
How are you Wally?

Today it was Colonoscopy under sedation and I didn’t feel a thing. I declined photos of the sights. Believe or not, I am a bit of a wuss when viewing my insides. All that was found was haemorrhoids, much relief! I am back home this evening. I can get back on with life and Photography. Still no results from the stomach ulcer biopsy. The Gastroenterologist doesn’t think there is a malignancy and he doesn’t think the ulcer is caused by the H. Pylori infection, because of its location.

In follow up, I wanted to bring closure. Thank you all for your concerns and especially a big thanks goes to the witty reprobates who cheered me up*chr

Glad to know things are looking good for you, Phil.

Having had endoscopy's and colonoscopy's I know what you've gone through with regards to that end of things (pun intended) :-) Following my last colonoscopy, a couple of days later I was rushed back in to hospital with terrible pains, They thought they might have punctured the colon but tests and scans showed otherwise and it was believed that I had had a very bad reaction to the procedure. I was told that any future looky looky's would be done by using scan technology to keep invasive techniques to a minimum.

Cheers and thanks for the update.

Beagletorque
13th February 2019, 04:21 PM
I thought you were going to say they had left the camera in there!

Gate Keeper
13th February 2019, 05:40 PM

Well, you never know.......;)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/GateKeeper_/glow%20bum/8D563FC8-404D-4B87-A900-97DAF548EDAA.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/glow%20bum/8D563FC8-404D-4B87-A900-97DAF548EDAA.jpg.html)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/GateKeeper_/glow%20bum/F5530DFA-9DD6-4695-BEDB-52E295F77CFD.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/GateKeeper_/media/glow%20bum/F5530DFA-9DD6-4695-BEDB-52E295F77CFD.jpg.html)

Gate Keeper
13th February 2019, 05:43 PM

Having had endoscopy's and colonoscopy's I know what you've gone through with regards to that end of things (pun intended) :-) Following my last colonoscopy, a couple of days later I was rushed back in to hospital with terrible pains, They thought they might have punctured the colon but tests and scans showed otherwise and it was believed that I had had a very bad reaction to the procedure. I was told that any future looky looky's would be done by using scan technology to keep invasive techniques to a minimum.

Thank you Keith, my sincerest wishes for you and rude health.

Keith-369
13th February 2019, 07:01 PM

Well, I was walking a bit funny, like, until I was taken in again. Maybe they just didn't tell me :eek:

Keith-369
13th February 2019, 07:05 PM
Well, you never know.......;)

Those camera pills you pictured, Phil, would certainly save all that prodding, poking and worse of all having to drink gallons of that truly terrible stuff to flush you clean *crap

Wee man
13th February 2019, 10:53 PM
It's not the camera that's the bother its the fliping tripod!

After a similar experience with difficulties due to a stricture in my bowel I was also advised no more scopes up, and have since had the CT alternative much more pleasant and they seemed to get just as much information. I was found to have a co-reactal fissure and am awaiting a follow up for treatment.

Glad all went well and continues that way.

Weeman
PS if you are going for a scope up ask for citrafleet it is not as bad and only a couple of glasses rather than litres of the other stuff.

DerekW
13th February 2019, 11:13 PM
Many years ago (actually 12 years ago) there was this thread in a cycling forum on the adventures of a seriall picolax user.

See

https://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

People have beeen advised not to read it in offices or while drinking liquids.

Enjoy

Keith-369
14th February 2019, 11:02 AM
Many years ago (actually 12 years ago) there was this thread in a cycling forum on the adventures of a seriall picolax user.

See

Enjoy

Thanks for that link, Derek.

Very, very funny. I would advise everybody to read blue-tone's escapades. You can skip everybody else's contributions, just scroll to the next blue-tone post, and the next, and the next until the end. In my opinion he's nailed it to perfection. :eek:

Keith-369
14th February 2019, 12:59 PM
PS if you are going for a scope up ask for citrafleet it is not as bad and only a couple of glasses rather than litres of the other stuff.

Thanks, I'll (try to) remember that, certainly sounds much better than 'tother stuff. *chr

Gate Keeper
15th February 2019, 11:57 AM
It's not the camera that's the bother its the fliping tripod!

After a similar experience with difficulties due to a stricture in my bowel I was also advised no more scopes up, and have since had the CT alternative much more pleasant and they seemed to get just as much information. I was found to have a co-reactal fissure and am awaiting a follow up for treatment.

Glad all went well and continues that way.

Weeman

I am sorry to hear about the fissure, a painful condition to have to put up with. Hopefully the treatment will bring a major improvement to your quality of life. Thanks for the 'heads up' on Citrafleet. They only use Picolax in Nairobi.

Gate Keeper
15th February 2019, 12:00 PM

See

Enjoy

A laugh a minute Derek, enjoyable reading, many thanks....."I rang the incontinence line - Can I put you on hold" :D

Gate Keeper
15th February 2019, 12:09 PM

Thank you for that sir! By coincidence, this morning Keith, I was doubled up in agony on the bed and then on the loo. I remembered your account of rushing to the hospital post colonoscopy. I will try something else. Then I recalled my wife gave me home made Chick Pea and Pumpkin soup for supper last night - rich in fibre. It was the soup that did it. Things seemed to have settled down with gripe water and the last of the Picolax going through :):)