PDA

View Full Version : Foreign hire car CDW insurance

TimP
4th February 2019, 03:29 PM
Anyone any experience of buying this independently before travelling and hiring a car??

Thanks in advance..

Naughty Nigel
4th February 2019, 03:36 PM
I have done this in the UK and abroad in the past. I have not needed to make a claim though which is always the acid test.

(I did have a car badly keyed in Holland but the rental people didn't seem to notice it.)

CDW often seems to cost as much as, or even more than the car hire itself so I have no doubt that the rental companies are using this as a way of making hidden charges and profits.

The rental companies seem to be wising up to this practice of late and are making it more and more difficult to use your own CDW.

There is also the argument that if you take out the rental companies CDW you can just hand the car back at the end of the day and know that there is nothing more to pay.

TimP
4th February 2019, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. Your last point is kinda how I’ve always thought but like you say it can often cost as much as hiring the whole wretched vehicle itself.
I can imagine the hassle factor, should you need to claim would be horrendous and take a lifetime (almost literally at some of our ages!!)

Perhaps I’ll just take the hit (see what I did there!) and buy it when I pick up the car.

Thanks. Appreciate the opinion.

Naughty Nigel
4th February 2019, 04:02 PM
You might find it cheaper to book the insurance on-line when you order the car. Charges are often higher at the airport because they have you by the short and curlies!

Also have a look at their T's & C's to see whether the subject is covered. If you book by phone you might be able to haggle with them.

TimP
4th February 2019, 04:22 PM
Already booked and I honestly can’t remember what was included at that time! Hopeless I know. All done a bit quickly as we were going with friends who’d booked a car but they’ve had to pull out so I quickly booked a slightly smaller car in a hurry.

Ricoh
4th February 2019, 04:42 PM
I hired a car in Majorca and bizarrely CDW covered everything apart from the roof of the car.
In another experience in Greece I hired a car from Hertz and was extremely glad to have taken CDW. There was no hassle when I handed the car back with a damaged wing. I had left the car in the hotel car park overnight and the next morning the wing was bent. This taught me to deal with a reputable hire company, one I could easily transact with back in the UK, and to always take out CDW.

TimP
4th February 2019, 05:30 PM
This is Mexico, I don’t think the word reputable is in use there!

pdk42
4th February 2019, 05:40 PM
Who is your car hire booked with? If it's Goldcar, then I'd strongly advise you to cancel immediately.

TimP
4th February 2019, 07:41 PM
Who is your car hire booked with? If it's Goldcar, then I'd strongly advise you to cancel immediately.

Errm... I don’t think it is but I will check....thanks (I think!)

Just checked, looks like it’s Mex rentalcar or somesuch.

DerekW
4th February 2019, 08:26 PM
I have booked the car hire with the airticket. This should convert the trip into a holiday and it should give you ATOL protection.
If you get any issues with the car hire you can get the holiday organiser to (ie the airline) to help you sort things out.

I have used this technique with car rental in the US by buying the car hire along with the airticket. The airline holiday dept has been very helpful in resolving car hire related issues. It also reduced the cost of car hire and also enabled me to avoid paying for the airticket until about 8 weeks before take off. The fully CDW insurance was also included.

TimP
4th February 2019, 08:41 PM
I have booked the car hire with the airticket. This should convert the trip into a holiday and it should give you ATOL protection.
If you get any issues with the car hire you can get the holiday organiser to (ie the airline) to help you sort things out.

That would have been the plan except we get our flights through Trailfinders and they don’t do car hire in Mexico, hence having to sort the car myself.
All our trips are bespoke and always involve expensive flights (economy too!) as we generally have to be somewhere on a specific date to start the wildlife part of the trip.

DerekW
4th February 2019, 11:13 PM
I woulld take full CDW in a country I was not certain about, even in the US we had the side window smashed and some things taken from the back seat - drive up to the local Hertz depot at the airport and within 20 minutes we had a replacement car that was even newer than the original car we had.

Gate Keeper
4th February 2019, 11:50 PM
I have used Hertz in Mexico. I did a one way rental for a month and the car was delivered to my hotel at Los Mochis on the coast. I took out all of the insurances going and for long distance, I kept to the toll roads, dropping the car off in Mexico City when I had finished with it. I did not encounter any problems such as scams when the car was handed over. Watch out for mobile speed traps.

drmarkf
5th February 2019, 12:03 AM

I have used this technique with car rental in the US by buying the car hire along with the airticket. The airline holiday dept has been very helpful in resolving car hire related issues. It also reduced the cost of car hire and also enabled me to avoid paying for the airticket until about 8 weeks before take off. The fully CDW insurance was also included.

Some airlines are a bit clever about this, including BA. You’ll find they usually issue separate bookings for flights and car hire so it doesn’t count as a ‘package’.

TimP
5th February 2019, 07:48 AM
I have used Hertz in Mexico. I did a one way rental for a month and the car was delivered to my hotel at Los Mochis on the coast. I took out all of the insurances going and for long distance, I kept to the toll roads, dropping the car off in Mexico City when I had finished with it. I did not encounter any problems such as scams when the car was handed over. Watch out for mobile speed traps.

Thanks for that. Some friends were caught out by a scamming copper who demanded cash when they didn’t quite stop at an intersection. They asked to go to a police station but copper refused and took $70 (US). They learnt afterwards it is meant to be $10.

Gate Keeper
6th February 2019, 12:00 PM
Thanks for that. Some friends were caught out by a scamming copper who demanded cash when they didn’t quite stop at an intersection. They asked to go to a police station but copper refused and took $70 (US). They learnt afterwards it is meant to be $10.

Corrupt coppers, I think they are everywhere, maybe not in the UK.

A good friend (Brian) had flown out to Australia to ask for a girl’s hand in marriage for the second time. He was refused and was feeling downhearted. I had over a month off from work and I rang him up.

I said to Brian (fluent in Spanish), “let’s meet up in Houston and we can cross the border at El Paso. That’s what we did. We crossed on foot and took a bus to do the Copper Canyon train to El Feurto, then we took a taxi to Los Mochis on the coast. On the train in our compartment in first class was the local chief of police and his side kick. We made friends with them (I had booze and duty free). The police chief took a fancy to my Panama hat and he said he wanted it. He was wearing a Stetson, so we did a swap. I had booked a 5 star hotel at our destination and when we arrived there in the evening, we went straight out to a nightclub until about 3 am

When we got back to the hotel, the reception staff said the police had been to the hotel looking for us and they had a string of girls with them, the girls were for us. A warm and friendly gesture from the Chief of Police. Apparently, the police were most put out we were not in. I said to Brian, “after breakfast, let’s get out of here”.

I rang up Hertz and they delivered a car to the hotel (true story).

shenstone
8th February 2019, 08:59 PM
As with many things there can be good or bad stories

I always take it because I have 1st hand experience of the value of it

1st the evidence from 2003

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1886/crash-sml3.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1886/crash-sml2.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1886/crash-sml5.jpg

I had full CDW with the hire company (Enterprise) when I called them from the hospital where my (future) wife was, they simply offered to bring another car. No arguments, no nothing - we didn't take them up on it and used a taxi to the airport where we were heading when it happened.

The other use ... the Spanish police (who were excellent BTW) once they knew it was a true accident (my fault I set off on the wrong side of the road and the bus was coming around the corner), that I was sober and saw I had full cover in Spain, and a policy they could read and not a complex travel insurance situation were very calm about things.

I did have that one moment when you have to decide whether to trust someone - the copper spoke no English, I was very poor in Spanish so he took my statement in French, translated it and wrote it down.. finally presenting it for signature.. The decision. trust him and sign or possibly antagonise him and refuse.. I chose the former because when you have spent 1/2 an hour looking someone in the eye I think you get an idea of them. It was the right decision. They took me to the hospital (an hour away)

so CDW - good, Enterprise - good, Police - good, Sleasyjet ... don't get me started about the lack of help and care we got flying home with a broken collar bone (her) and broken ribs (me)

Regards
Andy

TimP
9th February 2019, 08:11 AM
You were lucky to walk (stagger?) away from that. I hope never to have such tales to relate.