PDA

View Full Version : Open Reach

wornish
2nd February 2019, 06:05 PM
I have finally had my landline and internet connection restored after being offline since Monday 28th Jan.

There is a saying that you don't realise how important something is until it's taken away. That's so true.

The problem was caused by an overhead line rubbing against a tree and wearing through one of the wires inside. The engineers from Openreach do a great job in difficult circumstances on the front line but they are not supported. by their management and back office. Openreach might be a network company but they don't do communication.

As the end user, I am unable to contact anyone at Openreach and all communication has to go through the internet provider (BT in my case). Talking to someone in a call centre who does not have the latest info on a fault just results in them getting all the flack.

Anyway lot of catching up to do.

Have we Brexited yet;)

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 10:10 AM
Good to have you back Dave....I think! :D

*chr

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 10:12 AM
Have we Brexited yet;)

Of course not - you've still got power to your home, haven't you? :D

Jim Ford
3rd February 2019, 10:15 AM

Of course - I'd forgotten that we get a lot of power from France. I wonder how that will be impacted by Brexit? From the way things are shaping up, there seems to be little that won't be negatively impacted by Brexit!

Jim

wornish
3rd February 2019, 10:17 AM

If it's not one thing its something else here right now. The boiler packed in this morning! Luckily, I found the cause, it was water freezing in the Oil Filter on our oil storage tank. Managed to clean it all out and we have heat again.*yes

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 10:18 AM
Of course - I'd forgotten that we get a lot of power from France. I wonder how that will be impacted by Brexit? From the way things are shaping up, there seems to be little that won't be negatively impacted by Brexit!

Jim

If the cable accidentally touches the Backstop, we'll probably all be electrocuted! :D

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 10:21 AM
If it's not one thing its something else here right now. The boiler packed in this morning! Luckily, I found the cause, it was water freezing in the Oil Filter on our oil storage tank. Managed to clean it all out and we have heat again.*yes

Glad you got that fixed, it wouldn't do to be without heat at the moment. We had to have a new c/h pump last week and got it replaced in the nick of time. :eek:

OM USer
3rd February 2019, 12:14 PM
Glad to have you connected up and warm again Dave.

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2019, 12:45 PM
Glad you got that fixed, it wouldn't do to be without heat at the moment. We had to have a new c/h pump last week and got it replaced in the nick of time. :eek:

I made the 'mistake' of reporting the smell of gas around our driveway in midwinter three or four years ago. The Gas Board arrived fairly quickly and cut us off. It was a particularly cold snap with overnight temperatures down to -15 C and we had no gas heating or cooking for three whole days! :eek:

Jim Ford
3rd February 2019, 12:55 PM
I made the 'mistake' of reporting the smell of gas around our driveway in midwinter three or four years ago. The Gas Board arrived fairly quickly and cut us off. It was a particularly cold snap with overnight temperatures down to -15 C and we had no gas heating or cooking for three whole days! :eek:

Better than a smoking crater where your house used to be! *yes

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2019, 01:01 PM
Better than a smoking crater where your house used to be! *yes

Jim

Yes indeed, but very bad timing though. *yes

Otto
3rd February 2019, 01:20 PM
It was a particularly cold snap with overnight temperatures down to -15 C and we had no gas heating or cooking for three whole days! :eek:

We're all-electric here, and a ceramic hob and a wok don't mix very well so I use one of those portable gas rings intended for campers. It works a treat, and might be something to keep handy for such emergencies. They're quite cheap, I think I paid no more than 15 for mine. Here's one for less than that:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gosystem-dynasty-compact-ii-stove-p409554

wornish
3rd February 2019, 01:26 PM
We're all-electric here, and a ceramic hob and a wok don't mix very well so I use one of those portable gas rings intended for campers. It works a treat, and might be something to keep handy for such emergencies. They're quite cheap, I think I paid no more than 15 for mine. Here's one for less than that:

We are all electric for cooking but we do have a gas camping stove stored safely in a cupboard for use in case of a power outage. Which happens fairly often in our rural location.

Jim Ford
3rd February 2019, 02:05 PM
Don't start me on camping stoves - I've got a collection of about 20!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd February 2019, 03:24 PM

We do have a camping stove which came in handy, but it doesn't replace a proper oven.

We have one or two electric heaters around the house, an electric shower and immersion heater, but with a 61 Amp service fuse it is important not to get too carried away!

Mind you our electric slow cooker was worth its weight in gold. :)

Darkroom
3rd February 2019, 03:40 PM
We do have a camping stove which came in handy, but it doesn't replace a proper oven.

We have one or two electric heaters around the house, an electric shower and immersion heater, but with a 61 Amp service fuse it is important not to get too carried away!

Mind you our electric slow cooker was worth its weight in gold. :)

Immersion heater ? I think I remember seeing one of those :D

Darkroom

TimP
3rd February 2019, 03:43 PM
I love my immersion heater, heats my water for free when the sun shines on my solar panels.

wornish
3rd February 2019, 04:16 PM
I love my immersion heater, heats my water for free when the sun shines on my solar panels.

How many months has it taken to pay back the cost of installing the panels to heat your water?

TimP
3rd February 2019, 04:39 PM
How many months has it taken to pay back the cost of installing the panels to heat your water?

Panels cost 6K about 4 years ago, well on track to fully pay back that outlay in another 2-3 years, so 6-7 years in total. The free hot water is a bonus, mainly from Mar to Sept/ Oct ish. Gas only gets used for cooking in that period.