PDA

View Full Version : Strong Customer Auththentication

Harold Gough
2nd February 2019, 12:36 PM
This is coming in in September, for online purchases, and can involve codes sent to mobile phones. Sounds to me like the best hope for rival of high street shopping.

https://stripe.com/guides/strong-customer-authentication

Harold

TimP
2nd February 2019, 01:44 PM
Gonna take more than making things difficult for online shoppers to save the high street shops surely. Our local high streets are fine if you want a mobile phone, something from a charity shop, something costing a pound, maybe an overpriced coffee or even a tattoo but beyond that I’d personally go for online every time (yes, I know some people here hate Amazon)
Local parking costs negate most savings, no beggars to deal with, stuff often arrives next day and usually easy to return (keeping the local post office in business)

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2019, 08:26 PM
Our High Streets would do so much better if they were to sell goods that we, the consumers actually want to buy, rather than only flogging what they want us to buy.

Personally I would like to be able to buy quality merchandise made in Britain, the EU or even the USA or Australia rather than what is very obviously overpriced cheap Chinese crap.

You don't need to be an Economist or an Actuary to work out that in the longer term exporting production abroad does nothing for High Street sales in the UK.

DerekW
2nd February 2019, 08:44 PM
re Chinese crap - our reverred Oly gear comes from the middle kingdom.

Darkroom
2nd February 2019, 09:15 PM

If by "middle kingdom" you're referring to China, that's no longer correct. Try Vietnam *yes

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2019, 09:31 PM

That doesn't make it any better.

Olympus presumably moved production to China to take advantage of low labour costs. Looking at the price of the new EM-1x or whatever it is called they are clearly not passing those savings on to buyers.

TimP
2nd February 2019, 09:38 PM
That doesn't make it any better.

Olympus presumably moved production to China to take advantage of low labour costs. Looking at the price of the new EM-1x or whatever it is called they are clearly not passing those savings on to buyers.

You sound surprised. This was and will continue to happen now they’ve cornered the market on cheap crap. There is no UK made consumer tat anymore, with very few exceptions. If we want a new camera then we will have to pay the asking price. Basic economics surely. Those low labour costs were always going to bite us on the bum at some point.

Darkroom
2nd February 2019, 09:57 PM
You sound surprised. This was and will continue to happen now they’ve cornered the market on cheap crap. There is no UK made consumer tat anymore, with very few exceptions. If we want a new camera then we will have to pay the asking price. Basic economics surely. Those low labour costs were always going to bite us on the bum at some point.

So is the new camera produced in China or Vietnam ?

Darkroom

Jim Ford
2nd February 2019, 10:38 PM
You sound surprised. This was and will continue to happen now they’ve cornered the market on cheap crap. There is no UK made consumer tat anymore, with very few exceptions.

When the 'Wileyfox' mobile 'phones came out, boasting that they were a British company, I bought one. It's been crap and the company has gone bust. I've just bought a second hand Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and it's brilliant, especially now I've flashed it with an AOSPExtended Pie ROM.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
2nd February 2019, 11:12 PM

I'm not surprised at all. Its all about short-term corporate greed.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would have seen that outsourcing to China was bad business in the longer term, but nobody seems capable of looking beyond this quarter's results any more, and even if they could it wouldn't keep them in a job.

In many respects our government (of both colours) is just as bad as big business. Their Transport, Energy and Agricultural policies illustrate this well. They just cannot see the bigger picture.

TimP
3rd February 2019, 06:56 AM
So is the new camera produced in China or Vietnam ?

Darkroom

No idea, does it matter? It’s produced, no doubt, in some third world sweat shop, albeit a high tech sweat shop.
Vietnam has been producing high tech stuff for a long time, it probably provides more profit for the parent company.

TimP
3rd February 2019, 06:59 AM
I'm not surprised at all. Its all about short-term corporate greed.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would have seen that outsourcing to China was bad business in the longer term, but nobody seems capable of looking beyond this quarter's results any more, and even if they could it wouldn't keep them in a job.

In many respects our government (of both colours) is just as bad as big business. Their Transport, Energy and Agricultural policies illustrate this well. They just cannot see the bigger picture.

I think the bigger mistake, particularly where banks are concerned, was outsourcing to India.

Perhaps part of the reason the people in government can’t see the bigger picture is because they realise that by the time the bigger picture appears that they will be long gone and unable to benefit from said big picture, hence they do their damnest to make hay while the sun is shining (in their view)

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 09:56 AM
I think the bigger mistake, particularly where banks are concerned, was outsourcing to India.

Perhaps part of the reason the people in government can’t see the bigger picture is because they realise that by the time the bigger picture appears that they will be long gone and unable to benefit from said big picture, hence they do their damnest to make hay while the sun is shining (in their view)

A lot of truth in this. *yes

Zuiko
3rd February 2019, 09:58 AM
Going back to the opening post, will we still be in the EEA after Brexit? Unless we pass a similar law ourselves this may not apply.