PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland

pdk42
29th January 2019, 08:55 AM
I'll be in NI for a couple of days in Feb. My daughter is visiting a friend in Derry so we'll be staying in a B&B there (about 5 mins walk from where the bomb went off last week :eek:). So, the obvious question... are there good landscape locations near to there? If there are any NI residents with ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Bengeo
29th January 2019, 09:53 AM
I suppose the Giant's Causeway is the most obvious one and it shouldn't be too crowded at this time of year: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway

The old derelict docks area in Belfast where they built the Titanic was very atmospheric when I went there many years ago, but now it is a big museum and I guess it'll be very different.

I've always wanted to go to Malin Head https://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/malin-head/91299
Only because it is the most Northerly Point in Ireland and it is in Southern Ireland, which strikes me as being very Irish! It also means you'd get to cross the border while it is still "soft". For more info on the Irish Border I can recommend https://twitter.com/BorderIrish

I remember a group of us stayed in Belfast for a weekend in the 1970's. We arrived at the start of the driveway to the hotel and we were ushered into a small building where they inspected our bags. It was very dark and they were doing this with one small torch. I asked "why don't you switch the lights on?" only to be told they could not do that as we'd become a target! That hotel was blown up a few years later.

Have a great trip!

Jim Ford
29th January 2019, 10:50 AM
I suppose the Giant's Causeway is the most obvious one and it shouldn't be too crowded at this time of year: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway

Unmissable - absolutely stunning!

If you're near Loch Neagh it's worth a look. I couldn't see the other side, it's so large.

Jim

Wee man
29th January 2019, 10:52 AM
If you have a car and time to drive I have listed some locations worth a look.
Dunluce Castle
The Antrim Coast Road
Mourne Mountains ( 80miles from you)
Giants Causeway
Torr Head
Derry/Londonderry walls
White Rocks outside Portrush
Mussenden Temple
Ballintoy
Carrick-a-rede rope bridge
Glenoe waterfall
The Dark Hedges
The Glens of Antrim
Binevenagh Forest
Murlough beach
Murlough nature reserve ( near Mournes)
Donegal coastline cliffs
My house ( also near the Mournes)
My wallet!

Then after dinner..........

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jim Ford
29th January 2019, 10:56 AM
The Antrim Coast Road

I was with a geologist when I went to N.I. and he pointed out the 'slumped. coastline. AIRC chalk underlies basalt and the weight of the basalt causes the coastline to slope downwards towards the sea.

Inland, the drumlins are interesting. They're low teardrop shaped hills left when the glaciers retreated.

Jim

Wee man
29th January 2019, 11:10 AM
The Antrim Coast Road gets a very good mention in Lonely Planet guide. As you say Jim the geology in the area is worth a look due to its nature with the basalt stacks further up at the Giants Causeway. If visiting, entrance is free to the causeway if you do not go through the visitors centre which charges entry.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pdk42
29th January 2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone for such a rapid and comprehensive reply. Sounds like I won't be short of stuff to do :)

Zuiko
29th January 2019, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone for such a rapid and comprehensive reply. Sounds like I won't be short of stuff to do :)

We look forward to seeing your pictures. :)

No pressure! :D

Naughty Nigel
29th January 2019, 04:17 PM
I used to visit regularly during 'the Troubles' and always found the people very welcoming. Getting lost in the Falls Road in a Transit van bearing a large Union Jack was probably not the smartest thing to do, but we had two racing bikes in the back so we were safe enough.

The old chap who gave us directions had words of wisdom too. Sensing our nervousness he said 'Don't worry lads. We have three religions around here. Two of them are dangerous, the other one is road racing". *yes

drmarkf
29th January 2019, 05:46 PM
If you spend any time in Belfast, I thoroughly recommend the Titanic museum. I was dragged along rather unwillingly by my wife, but found it a fascinating review of the engineering, social changes and various other aspects of the times.

We also did a Black Cab tour of the Troubles sites, which was also very informative and, as far as we could tell, balanced.

Mourne Seafood Bar comes recommended, too.

Naughty Nigel
29th January 2019, 11:15 PM
We also did a Black Cab tour of the Troubles sites, which was also very informative and, as far as we could tell, balanced.

Mourne Seafood Bar comes recommended, too.

Some of the artwork originating form 'The Troubles' is quite unique and well worth a look. Sometimes you will see an end house completely painted with some remarkably good murals.

I would agree about seafood in Ireland too. One of my favourite destinations is Kinsale in Co Cork.

Phill D
30th January 2019, 09:58 AM
Never been to Ireland, looks like it's going to get on the list. Thanks Guys and Paul for asking.

Wee man
30th January 2019, 11:14 PM
If in Belfast the hop on hop off bus tour is also worth a try. It will cover a greater area than the taxi tour and you can get off for shots and an another bus will be along soon with no extra charge. Covers West and East Belfast and also goes to the Titanic centre then up to Stormont ( our empty parliament ) it starts in the city centre near the burnt out Primark building.

Nigel
Kinsale also gets a vote from me I intend to head that way on the train in June if my bus pass still works in the South after Brexit.

Ed

Naughty Nigel
31st January 2019, 12:22 PM
If in Belfast the hop on hop off bus tour is also worth a try. It will cover a greater area than the taxi tour and you can get off for shots and an another bus will be along soon with no extra charge. Covers West and East Belfast and also goes to the Titanic centre then up to Stormont ( our empty parliament ) it starts in the city centre near the burnt out Primark building.

Nigel
Kinsale also gets a vote from me I intend to head that way on the train in June if my bus pass still works in the South after Brexit.

Ed

How near to Kinsale could you get by train Ed?

I gather the rail network throughout Ireland has seen just as many cuts over the years as those in mainland Britain.

I am always fascinated by the fact that you have a different gauge over there.

(Ah now, 'gauge'; there is another word I always try to spell 'guage'.)

Wee man
31st January 2019, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hijack thread but in answer to Nigel's question.

From Newcastle County Down ( home) journey is by bus to either Newry or Belfast then train to Dublin.
Change train to Cork and another bus to Kinsale.
Journey time 8 hours.

Weeman

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2019, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hijack thread but in answer to Nigel's question.

From Newcastle County Down ( home) journey is by bus to either Newry or Belfast then train to Dublin.
Change train to Cork and another bus to Kinsale.
Journey time 8 hours.

Weeman

Thank you. That would be an interesting journey. I would love to try it some time. :)