PDA

View Full Version : Which words do you struggle to spell?

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2019, 02:41 PM
I was fascinated by a BBC Three item about words that people struggle to spell.

I was relived to see that 'Bureaucracy' cropped up as apart from hating it I can never spell the word correctly first time around.

Unsurprisingly, words with an 'ie' or 'ei' such as 'friend' and 'their', along with 'naďve', calendar and colander also cropped up.

And one I hadn't thought about; a gentleman by the name of Declan Cashin commented "Big lesson so far from this thread: a lot of you struggle with diarrhoea." :D

Which words do you struggle with?

BBC Three - What's the word you always struggle to spell, no matter what? (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/3b514c52-60f8-48bb-af1e-1ab7e108a3aa)

MikeOxon
28th January 2019, 02:59 PM
You slipped with 'relived' rather than 'relieved'. I expect that's one those typos that spell-checkers can't find! - another difficult category.

How about 'detach' which always seems to want another 't'?

drmarkf
28th January 2019, 03:26 PM
Manoeuvre.

Thanks to the spell checker...

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2019, 03:29 PM
You slipped with 'relived' rather than 'relieved'. I expect that's one those typos that spell-checkers can't find! - another difficult category.

How about 'detach' which always seems to want another 't'?

Yes, whilst 'attached' has two.

Walti
28th January 2019, 03:30 PM
I did spell warehouse with an extra h once, "wharehouse" and the Word spell checker wanted to change it to whorehouse... they seem to have fixed that though :(

Zuiko
28th January 2019, 03:36 PM
Psychiatrist is always a bugger to get your head around when you need someone to get around your head.

Necessary - is it one c and two s or two c and one s?

Same with occasion, see how the rule varies?

As for "I before E except after C" - I'm still trying to weigh that one up.

What about words that sound almost the same? Is it stationary or stationery? Just remember, if it needs an envelope it's spelt with an e. However, should spelt have been spelled?

It's a funny old language, but I love it. :)

MikeOxon
28th January 2019, 03:50 PM
Supersede is a horror. I once got into an argument through feeling all superior and thinking that 'cede' came from the Latin, as in 'to cede defeat'. But it doesn't, it comes from the Latin for 'sit above', hence the 's'.

Zuiko
28th January 2019, 03:57 PM
Supersede is a horror. I once got into an argument through feeling all superior and thinking that 'cede' came from the Latin, as in 'to cede defeat'. But it doesn't, it comes from the Latin for 'sit above', hence the 's'.

Interesting - I would have spelt it supercede, but not any more!

Otto
28th January 2019, 04:31 PM
I was on a bus a while ago which sported a notice reading "Please remain seated until the bus is stationery". Now if only the route number had been A4 ...

I've always been a confident speller but these days senior moments can get the better of me; on one recent occasion I wanted to write the word "talk" but had a mental block on how to spell it. Eventually I wrote "chat" instead!

pdk42
28th January 2019, 04:52 PM
Diarrhea - always a sh!tty word to spell!

Paul

pdk42
28th January 2019, 04:53 PM
Necessary - is it one c and two s or two c and one s?

Never
Eat
Cress
Eat
Salmon
Sandwiches
And
Remain
Young

:)

Jim Ford
28th January 2019, 05:13 PM
I find it mega irritating when people use the word 'disinterested' instead of the totally different word 'uninterested', because they think it makes them appear more erudite, when in fact it makes them appear the opposite! I find this mistake being made increasingly by people who should know better.

Jim

Keith-369
28th January 2019, 05:24 PM
I just despair when I, all too often, see the word 'loose' being used to mean lose.

MJ224
28th January 2019, 05:37 PM
Cooking Fat, name of my cat, at least I think what she called it...……..*chr

Jim Ford
28th January 2019, 05:38 PM
Another bęte noire of mine is when people use foreign words in order to show how well read and educated they are! ;)

Jim

Otto
28th January 2019, 05:41 PM
Cooking Fat, name of my cat, at least I think what she called it...……..*chr

A mate of mine once had a cat called Trex for similar reasons!

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2019, 06:29 PM
What about words that sound almost the same? Is it stationary or stationery? Just remember, if it needs an envelope it's spelt with an e. However, should spelt have been spelled?

It's a funny old language, but I love it. :)

'Homophones' as they are known are a whole new can of worms, and an endless source of fascination for me.

For some reason FaceBook and eBay are rich sources of homophones, some of which I would never have thought of. ;)

I was chastised by a friend for mentioning this recently. He thought I was being homophobic but when I explained he admitted that he had never encountered the word before. :)

Then there are those words which have very similar spellings and pronunciations but very different meanings. My favourite example is 'affluent' and 'effluent', especially when I hear a Hyacinth Bucket from the home counties describing herself as 'affluent'. :D

Jim Ford
28th January 2019, 08:04 PM
Then there are those words which have very similar spellings and pronunciations but very different meanings. My favourite example is 'affluent' and 'effluent', especially when I hear a Hyacinth Bucket from the home counties describing herself as 'affluent'. :D

Ermm - didn't you mean to say: My favourite example is 'affluent' and 'effluent', especially when I hear a Hyacinth Bucket from the home counties describing herself as 'effluent'!

Jim

pdk42
28th January 2019, 08:34 PM
Another bęte noire of mine is when people use foreign words in order to show how well read and educated they are! ;)

Jim

Touché !

Zuiko
28th January 2019, 08:50 PM
I find it mega irritating when people use the word 'disinterested' instead of the totally different word 'uninterested', because they think it makes them appear more erudite, when in fact it makes them appear the opposite! I find this mistake being made increasingly by people who should know better.

Jim

You might think that now I no longer work for a high street bank I'm in a better position to offer disinterested advice on which bank offers the best range of accounts. However, since leaving the bank I have become totally uninterested in such matters, so I'm still not the best person to offer advice.

Zuiko
28th January 2019, 08:57 PM

Jim

Pretentious? Moi?

Zuiko
28th January 2019, 09:01 PM
I just despair when I, all too often, see the word 'loose' being used to mean lose.

I'll stick with loose women. ;)

Keith-369
28th January 2019, 09:15 PM
I'll stick with loose women. ;)

Until you want to 'lose' them, that is. *yes :D .... or do I mean set them loose :confused: :D

Naughty Nigel
28th January 2019, 09:54 PM
Ermm - didn't you mean to say: My favourite example is 'affluent' and 'effluent', especially when I hear a Hyacinth Bucket from the home counties describing herself as 'effluent'!

Jim

Well yes; except that some affluent people living in the home counties tend to pronounce 'affluent' as 'effluent'. :D

I have often thought that Affluent' and 'Effluent' would be perfect descriptions for the cabin classes on aircraft. That way some the affluent would need to be careful how they pronounced the word if they wished to avoid being banished behind that little blue curtain. :D

Wee man
28th January 2019, 10:58 PM
Most as I have dyslexia.

But also have a reasonable spell checker; I think?

Ed

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Phill D
29th January 2019, 10:59 AM
Ditto Ed, my spill chucker is rubbish though ;)

birdboy
29th January 2019, 04:46 PM
organism :eek:
I've been know to pronounce it wrong as well as spell it wrong!

Walti
29th January 2019, 06:00 PM
diarrhea - always a sh!tty word to spell!

Paul

o!

Harold Gough
29th January 2019, 06:32 PM

Beekeepers should know that one. It refers to when a younger queen replaces the failing one.

Harold

Harold Gough
29th January 2019, 06:39 PM

Jim

How about a pop group calling themselves "Status Quo"?

Harold

TimP
29th January 2019, 08:31 PM

Harold

‘Pop group’ - bless!

Jim Ford
29th January 2019, 09:39 PM
Theresa May has difficulty in understanding some words, like: 'deal', 'no', 'brexit', 'renegotiation' and 'of'.!

Jim

Zuiko
29th January 2019, 09:49 PM

Harold

Their music has remained unchanged for many years, a great rock band but hardly progressive. Very aptly named!

Naughty Nigel
29th January 2019, 11:11 PM
organism :eek:
I've been know to pronounce it wrong as well as spell it wrong!

Ah yes. I remember a pretty young secretary had made that mistake in a letter that I had written about antifouling paints for yachts; not just once but several times. She was embarrassed enough about the mistake but she had led a very sheltered life and genuinely didn't know what the word meant until she asked one of the older girls in the office. She did blush somewhat. *yes

Naughty Nigel
29th January 2019, 11:13 PM
Their music has remained unchanged for many years, a great rock band but hardly progressive. Very aptly named!

I wish we could have a lot more Status Quo rather than changing everything all the time just for the sake of it.

If it isn't broken why fix it?

Darkroom
30th January 2019, 12:19 AM
Cillit Bang, the range of cleaning products has also been known to cause problems in pronunciation and spelling. :)

Darkroom

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2019, 08:21 AM
Cillit Bang, the range of cleaning products has also been known to cause problems in pronunciation and spelling. :)

Darkroom

Err yes, I have often wondered about that name. It sounds like something on a Tai menu, but not necessarily food. ;)

TimP
30th January 2019, 08:23 AM
Err yes, I have often wondered about that name. It sounds like something on a Tai menu, but not necessarily food. ;)

See, there’s another word you have trouble spelling....

Harold Gough
30th January 2019, 08:26 AM

You could end up with Cif.

Harold

Otto
30th January 2019, 09:40 AM
Two words I can spell but seldom pronounce properly - prescription and statistics.

TimP
30th January 2019, 10:12 AM
I always struggle with ‘deliberately’
I’m good at knowing when something is wrong, just don’t necessarily know what the right spelling is though, but can usually work it out as it will look right.

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2019, 03:21 PM
You could end up with Cif.

Harold

Or *clap*clap*clap*clap*clap :D

Zuiko
30th January 2019, 06:19 PM
I wish we could have a lot more Status Quo rather than changing everything all the time just for the sake of it.

If it isn't broken why fix it?

I agree that change shouldn't happen without good reason, but if it brings genuine improvement, or in the case of the arts has genuine creative merit, then we should embrace it.

Keith-369
30th January 2019, 08:32 PM
Chy .... Chiw .... chiwa .... sod it .... Little dog :D

TimP
30th January 2019, 08:39 PM
Chy .... Chiw .... chiwa .... sod it .... Little dog :D

Big rat?

peak4
30th January 2019, 08:42 PM
I always struggle with ‘deliberately’
I’m good at knowing when something is wrong, just don’t necessarily know what the right spelling is though, but can usually work it out as it will look right.

I know exactly what you mean, It's just taken me several attempts to spell subterfuge (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/subterfuge) correctly in another thread on here.
I knew my first attempt looked wrong, even without the spillchucker telling me, but couldn't see why. Seems I was mispronouncing it in my own head. :o

Naughty Nigel
30th January 2019, 08:55 PM
I agree that change shouldn't happen without good reason, but if it brings genuine improvement, or in the case of the arts has genuine creative merit, then we should embrace it.

Agreed; but all too often 'changes' are made to save government or businesses time and/or money, but 'we' lose out as a result. Take self-serve checkouts for example, and those wretched machines in the few bank branches that remain open where you pay money and cheques in. :mad:

Wally
30th January 2019, 09:16 PM
I halve too admit that when it comes two spelling, aye halve know problems. ;)

Aye use a wind owes spelling chequer, It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight four it two say
Weather eye am write oar wrong, It shows me straite a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite, Its really ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it and I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh, my spell chequer tolled me sew. *yes

Wee man
30th January 2019, 11:27 PM
Nice one Wally

Weeman

Wally
31st January 2019, 11:32 AM
@ the Wee Man: :tup Ye olde ones are the best. *yes

My spell chequer works fine but I do struggle with the meaning of certain words?

As an example: What is the difference between a footpath come cyclepath and a psychopath? :confused: I'm certain, as a dog walker, there is a connection, but I just can't quite put my finger on it. ;)

Harold Gough
31st January 2019, 11:38 AM
As an example: What is the difference between a footpath come cyclepath and a psychopath? :confused: I'm certain, as adog walker, there is a connection, but I just can't quite put my finger on it. ;)

Don't ask a sociopath!

Harold

Wally
31st January 2019, 12:07 PM
--> Don't ask a sociopath! Harold

I did try once... after almost having a bike parked between my uprights. I was harangued, for apparently spoiling his ride .*yes

Naughty Nigel
31st January 2019, 12:15 PM
I did try once... after almost having a bike parked between my uprights. I was harangued, for apparently spoiling his ride .*yes

I do wonder whether Lycra and certain diets might have mind bending effects.

I have leaned that it is unwise and futile to try to reason with cyclists and vegans.

Some of those on gluten free diets also seem to have some very odd ideas.

TimP
31st January 2019, 02:10 PM
Did he not ring his bell to warn you of his approach?

Harold Gough
31st January 2019, 02:39 PM
I have leaned that it is unwise and futile to try to reason with cyclists and vegans.

An argument for vegans:

Humans have a very short appendix and removing it does not affect our life style.

A rabbit has a very long appendix, necessary for vegetable matter to digest. Even so, it eats its faeces again fist time round. Possibly some dietary advice in there for vegans?

Harold

Otto
31st January 2019, 02:57 PM
If the Good Lord had wanted us to be vegetarian he'd have given us four stomachs.

TimP
31st January 2019, 03:06 PM
If the Good Lord had wanted us to be vegetarian he'd have given us four stomachs.

And not made animals out of delicious meat!

DerekW
31st January 2019, 03:28 PM
or fun to shoot

TimP
31st January 2019, 03:52 PM
or fun to shoot

Only with cameras please.

Jim Ford
31st January 2019, 05:08 PM
An argument for vegans:

Humans have a very short appendix and removing it does not affect our life style.

A rabbit has a very long appendix, necessary for vegetable matter to digest. Even so, it eats its faeces again fist time round. Possibly some dietary advice in there for vegans?

In a sense we do receive nourishment from our own faeces. The natural flora in our gut processes food that we can't, producing nutrients that are subsequently absorbed. Important vitamins are produced in this manner, which is why diarrhoea and excessive use of laxatives can result in vitamin deficiency.

Jim

Harold Gough
31st January 2019, 05:12 PM
In a sense we do receive nourishment from our own faeces. The natural flora in our gut processes food that we can't, producing nutrients that are subsequently absorbed. Important vitamins are produced in this manner, which is why diarrhoea and excessive use of laxatives can result in vitamin deficiency.

Jim

Those are the bugs transferred from the mother during natural birth. There is not much evidence that they can be taken in later in life via the diet, most being destroyed e.g. by stomach acid.

Harold

TimP
31st January 2019, 07:44 PM
In a sense we do receive nourishment from our own faeces.

Jim

Good for you mate, enjoy!

Jax
31st January 2019, 09:56 PM
In a sense we do receive nourishment from our own faeces.

Jim

Note to self : Never eat or drink anything prepared by Jim ! :eek:

Jax

DerekW
31st January 2019, 10:33 PM
See this Wiki on Faecal transplanting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_microbiota_transplant

Jim Ford
31st January 2019, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure I feel comfortable with the direction this thread is taking! ;)

Jim

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2019, 08:56 AM
Those are the bugs transferred from the mother during natural birth. There is not much evidence that they can be taken in later in life via the diet, most being destroyed e.g. by stomach acid.

Harold

I believe this includes so called 'pro-biotic' yoghurts.

Harold Gough
1st February 2019, 08:58 AM

It does.

Harold

Jim Ford
1st February 2019, 09:02 AM

So perhaps they should be syringed up the anus!

(No, no - I really ought not to get involved with the direction of this thread!)

Jim

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2019, 09:38 AM

(No, no - I really ought not to get involved with the direction of this thread!)

Jim

I can imagine it would be very soothing after a dodgy curry. :D

Jax
1st February 2019, 10:44 AM
I can imagine it would be very soothing after a dodgy curry. :D

Thanks Nigel ! I was just about to tuck into sausage, bacon, eggs and tomato but won't bother now :mad:

*chr

Jax

Naughty Nigel
1st February 2019, 12:05 PM
Thanks Nigel ! I was just about to tuck into sausage, bacon, eggs and tomato but won't bother now :mad:

*chr

Jax

Don't blame me. It was Jim's idea! :D

TimP
1st February 2019, 12:30 PM

Jim

I think direction is quite apt, as it’s either top down or bottom up.
Alimentary really!

Gate Keeper
2nd February 2019, 07:18 AM
At the age of 5, I was taught by the nuns. Bad spelling was not an option :mad: