PDA

View Full Version : Half ar-ed email from Olympus

Beagletorque
16th January 2019, 05:34 PM
Anyone else received an email from Olympus that they perhaps let off a bit early? Tempting me to upgrade to a camera I already have and telling me about a new product, and I quote...

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet numquam.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. "

For those not fluent in Latin the new product can see in the dark.

Olybirder
16th January 2019, 05:51 PM
Yes I received it too. I think they were adapting an earlier email for the E-M1 Mk2 and pressed the wrong button. I hope they haven't updated the camera's menus to Latin.

Ron

Keith-369
16th January 2019, 06:35 PM
Yes, we probably all got it. We will all get the revised version soon .... then again ....

peak4
16th January 2019, 08:03 PM
It's a piece of text used as a placeholder, to be replaced at a later date when the document is closer to completion.
I'm guessing someone was preparing a mailshot and sent it too soon.
This is why I never put anything in the "To" field until I'm sure I want to send an email, particularly if the content may be contentious.
I comes up in some programs when you insert a text box, so there is some random typing in the box.
See Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum)

TimP
16th January 2019, 09:00 PM
I got it too, even the Subject started with “[TEST...”. Pretty poor show really from a top tier company.

Jim Ford
16th January 2019, 09:15 PM
It's a piece of text used as a placeholder, to be replaced at a later date when the document is closer to completion.

Yes, I've met it many times in text processing software demonstrations.

Jim

wornish
16th January 2019, 09:46 PM
I got the mail .

Children in charge of the sweetie shop springs to mind

Naughty Nigel
16th January 2019, 09:53 PM
I got the mail .

Children in charge of the sweetie shop springs to mind

Children in charge of the sweetie shop indeed.

It could be a lot worse though. :D

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Screenshot_557_cropped.jpg

DerekW
16th January 2019, 11:02 PM
Perhaps they have a student from the local school on a work experience week in the publicity department....

Phill D
17th January 2019, 08:53 AM
I didn't get an e-mail....feeling a bit left out now ;)

art frames
17th January 2019, 10:03 AM
Phill

Can't have that. You have a PM

:)

Peter

Harold Gough
17th January 2019, 11:57 AM
For those not fluent in Latin the new product can see in the dark.

Only for good Catholics! :D

Harold

MargaretR
17th January 2019, 01:47 PM
Yes. Let's hope that "attention to detail" is a lot stronger in their camera production!

Harold Gough
17th January 2019, 01:59 PM
It seems that it's for dummies:

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2290/what-does-the-filler-text-lorem-ipsum-mean/

( I didn't get a copy :) ).

Harold

OM USer
17th January 2019, 02:46 PM
I did get the email; Olympus are not ignoring me. I won't let on that I am not the target demographic for this camera.

It would also appear that they can't quite get the pseudo-latin correct.

Otto
17th January 2019, 03:29 PM
I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!

TimP
17th January 2019, 05:21 PM
I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!

THATS where I remember seeing a lot of it! Now, where did I put my copy on 5.25in floppies?

Otto
18th January 2019, 09:26 AM
I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.

TimP
18th January 2019, 01:21 PM
I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.
Youíre right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.

Iíve not seen anything that can open a native Pagemaker file (.pm3?) either.

Shaw
18th January 2019, 03:51 PM
Youíre right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.

I also cut my teeth on Aldus PageMaker which became Adobe inDesign, which, if you were used to PageMaker, was quite similar.

Otto
18th January 2019, 04:31 PM
Affinity Publisher is supposed to be to InDesign what Affinity Photo is to Photoshop, and Affinity Designer is to Adobe Illustrator (i.e. a vector graphics editor).

I think InDesign is similar to PageMaker because it used to be PageMaker!

Edit: Correction - it used to be Adobe PageMaker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_PageMaker), now discontinued.