PDA

View Full Version : Olympus P440 Printer: anyone got one?

vincent
26th March 2009, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have any experience of this printer http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/201_p-440.htm?

I have the P-11, which only prints to 6"x4", but the quality of the dye-sub prints is fantastic, and I'd really like to go bigger. The P-440 will do 10"x8" - albeit at a price!

The bonus with dye-sub prints is that they are virtually indestructible: they won't fingermark or fade and even coffee spills just wipe off.

The only other dye-sub printers I can find at this print size are from Kodak or Fuji, and cost a king's ransom.

I'd really appreciate any informed advice from anyone who's used one of these.

Ian
26th March 2009, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience of this printer http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/201_p-440.htm?

I have the P-11, which only prints to 6"x4", but the quality of the dye-sub prints is fantastic, and I'd really like to go bigger. The P-440 will do 10"x8" - albeit at a price!

The bonus with dye-sub prints is that they are virtually indestructible: they won't fingermark or fade and even coffee spills just wipe off.

The only other dye-sub printers I can find at this print size are from Kodak or Fuji, and cost a king's ransom.

I'd really appreciate any informed advice from anyone who's used one of these.

Dye sub prints do fade - and faster than you might think, with some rating just a few years by the Wilhelm people.

I believe Olympus have some surplus P-440s...

Ian

grumpy69
26th March 2009, 05:38 PM
Hi vincent, I nearly bought a P440 but I was told by Olympus that they were stopping selling printers so I thought better of it and bought a canon pro 9000 a couple of months ago and I am very pleased, prints up to A3+, 365 and the price has droped a little since then. I hope this helps. John

vincent
26th March 2009, 05:48 PM
Dye sub prints do fade - and faster than you might think, with some rating just a few years by the Wilhelm people.

I believe Olympus have some surplus P-440s...

Ian

Thanks Ian. Who are "The Wilhelm people"?

How does one access Olympus' surplus stock? Do you have inside knowledge?:)

Ian
26th March 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Ian. Who are "The Wilhelm people"?

How does one access Olympus' surplus stock? Do you have inside knowledge?:)

Look at page 140 here:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/japan/WIR_Imaging_Japan_2007_HW.pdf

Many dye-sub printers languish at the bottom of the print longevity league.

Olympus is moving offices and as the P-440s are no longer being sold, they have (had?) some that they don't need to take with them. I'll find out for you if any are still available.

Ian

vincent
26th March 2009, 10:00 PM
Look at page 140 here:

Many dye-sub printers languish at the bottom of the print longevity league.

Olympus is moving offices and as the P-440s are no longer being sold, they have (had?) some that they don't need to take with them. I'll find out for you if any are still available.

Ian

Thanks Ian: that IS quite concerning, and contrary to what I had thought. I tend to use 6"x4"'s as proofs, so I guess I'm not so worried about ultimate longevity. 10"x8"'s may be a different matter - especially as the media is a good deal more expensive. Clearly availability may also be an issue: a P-440 with no paper/ribbon would be something of a white elephant!

Still, I'd appreciate any info you can glean from Oly: you never know: if the deal's good enough ...!

Jim Ford
27th March 2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/japan/WIR_Imaging_Japan_2007_HW.pdf

I think I've seen criticism of their impartiality and or methodology, somewhere.

Jim

Ian
27th March 2009, 05:02 PM
I think I've seen criticism of their impartiality and or methodology, somewhere.

Jim

On the contrary, Henry Wilhelm is highly respected by all except Kodak. This is because Kodak use a much less tough longevity test regime than Wilhelm and of course Kodak's ratings are much more optimistic than Wilhelm's.

Ian