PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no companies offering Olympus lenses for hire...?

theMusicMan
25th March 2009, 12:29 PM
I find it disappointing that though there are several companies out there who offer lenses for hire, and at reasonable rates I might add too... I see no companies offering any of the Olympus range of lenses. I often wonder why this is the case, surely there'd be a market for this given the expensive range of ZD pro glass out there... it might even tempt some people to save up and purchase one of these lenses having used one for a weekend or so.

I am off to Devon for Heathers rugby tour again in April (going to the same place as we went last year - Bude, Cornwall) and having been there once, knowing the wonderful scenery and lay of the land etc. and I'd absolutely love to have the awesome 7-14mm with me when I went, and would certainly pay (now I am back in employment - woohoooo) for the hire of one of these lenses for the weekend.

I was wondering if it might be worth while approaching Olympus to see if they would consider such a rental scheme. If we had enough weight behind it from members on here, it might be such that someone somewhere would consider offering Olympus lenses for hire. I know of a chap who runs a business offering a super range of Canon and Nikon lenses, if we were to get enough interest in here, I could point him to this thread and maybe he'd consider adding a few Oly lenses to his list.

Just a thought...

photo_owl
25th March 2009, 12:38 PM
I am led to believe that the London Camera Exchange may well have some lenses for hire shortly (very shortly) - what you consider reasonable price wise is of course a different thing!

Personally I would take the 90-250 to shoot rugby over the 7-14, but maybe you are looking for an excuse to get up close to the ladies?!? (tic - I get your drift).

I have offered my 7-14 to a few people here for 'trial' - but sadly no-ones offered me their 90-250 in return....

emirpprime
25th March 2009, 12:41 PM
YES! This is my pet peeve. I would have shelled out quite a lot on renting the 90-250, 150 and 300 by now if there was a company doing it. Calumet hired the E1 and 14-54 for a while but then stopped.
There are quite a few companies doing it in the US which makes it even more annoying.
I think it is a serious gap that Oly should be looking to encourage companies to fill. They should be offering incentives/their own scheme if you ask me. I would even be happy to hire the demo stock from Oly UK. Not only would they be getting business from amateurs who can't afford the big glass, but even pros would rather try the top pro lenses in the field before throwing down that much cash.

Please do encourage your frield John!

All the best,
Phil

emirpprime
25th March 2009, 12:44 PM
On the LCe front - do you know if that is an online / whole group thing or a particular store?
Cheers,
Pihl

theMusicMan
25th March 2009, 12:46 PM
I am led to believe that the London Camera Exchange may well have some lenses for hire shortly (very shortly) - what you consider reasonable price wise is of course a different thing!

Personally I would take the 90-250 to shoot rugby over the 7-14, but maybe you are looking for an excuse to get up close to the ladies?!? (tic - I get your drift).

I have offered my 7-14 to a few people here for 'trial' - but sadly no-ones offered me their 90-250 in return....
Hi Photo_Owl - I am happy with the shots I take with the 70-300mm to be honest and will use that for the rugby ones. I used this with the 1.4x last weekend and was very pleased with the results.

The main reason I'd be after taking the 7-14mm would be for the landscape and scenery shots I'd be attempting. It's a beautiful part of the world and I'd love to have a go. Alas, I don't have the 90-250mm to arrange a short term swap!! :( hehe.

YES! This is my pet peeve. I would have shelled out quite a lot on renting the 90-250, 150 and 300 by now if there was a company doing it. Calumet hired the E1 and 14-54 for a while but then stopped.
There are quite a few companies doing it in the US which makes it even more annoying.
I think it is a serious gap that Oly should be looking to encourage companies to fill. They should be offering incentives/their own scheme if you ask me. I would even be happy to hire the demo stock from Oly UK. Not only would they be getting business from amateurs who can't afford the big glass, but even pros would rather try the top pro lenses in the field before throwing down that much cash.

Please do encourage your frield John!

All the best,
Phil
Hey Phil - totally agree with you, and was the main reason for starting this thread. I hope we get many more people voicing their support in here as indeed you have done. Many thanks for this Phil.

Ian
25th March 2009, 12:52 PM
I find it disappointing that though there are several companies out there who offer lenses for hire, and at reasonable rates I might add too... I see no companies offering any of the Olympus range of lenses. I often wonder why this is the case, surely there'd be a market for this given the expensive range of ZD pro glass out there... it might even tempt some people to save up and purchase one of these lenses having used one for a weekend or so.

I am off to Devon for Heathers rugby tour again in April (going to the same place as we went last year - Bude, Cornwall) and having been there once, knowing the wonderful scenery and lay of the land etc. and I'd absolutely love to have the awesome 7-14mm with me when I went, and would certainly pay (now I am back in employment - woohoooo) for the hire of one of these lenses for the weekend.

I was wondering if it might be worth while approaching Olympus to see if they would consider such a rental scheme. If we had enough weight behind it from members on here, it might be such that someone somewhere would consider offering Olympus lenses for hire. I know of a chap who runs a business offering a super range of Canon and Nikon lenses, if we were to get enough interest in here, I could point him to this thread and maybe he'd consider adding a few Oly lenses to his list.

Just a thought...

I understand there used to be availability of Olympus lenses for hire via Calumet, and there has been talk within Olympus of reviving this, but nothing concrete has been put forward yet.

This company advertises E-1s for hire, but I can't see any lens options, apart from video camera lenses:

http://www.3rdeyecamerahire.co.uk/olympus_e1_stills_camera.htm

Ian

benvendetta
25th March 2009, 01:00 PM
John, you may have missed my post about this following the Focus show. I asked the same question at the Oly stand and was told by the guys (and Mark the head honch there) that a scheme is likely to be rolled out this year. Although details have yet to be finalised, it could be direct from Olympus or through a select number of top Oly dealers or with some involvement from the Olympus Safari Group, the latter of which happens sort of now in a very limited way. If the safari group are included it will be for members only therefore my suggestion to those here who are not already members is to sign up!
The above was also mentioned to me by Ian at the Oly day in Devon a couple of weeks back.
All I can say is bring it on! Why should the US and Canada get all the fum of the HG and SHG digital Zuikos?

Jim Ford
25th March 2009, 01:01 PM
This company advertises E-1s for hire, but I can't see any lens options, apart from video camera lenses:

http://www.3rdeyecamerahire.co.uk/olympus_e1_stills_camera.htm

It suggests that this lot comes with it:

ED 300mm, F2.8 tele (600mm)
E 14~54mm, F2.8~3.5 zoom (28~108mm)
ED 50mm F2.0 macro (100mm)
ED 50~200mm, F2.8~3.5 zoom (100-400mm)
E 11~22mm. F2.8~3.5 zoom (22~44mm

Jim

emirpprime
25th March 2009, 01:02 PM
Ian,
The fact that there has "been talk within Olympus" suggests that at least in Oly's case they instigate a hire relationship. If this is the case they really should get on it! I am sure that even just between your websites and the Oly Photo Safari group there would be considerable interest. If that is what it would take I'm sure we could organise an official poll/petition to show just how strong the feeling is. Perhaps then they would be willing to approach Calumet or smaller dealers such as the one John mentions.
Let's hope we get some momentum :)
Phil

Xpres
25th March 2009, 01:35 PM
If you want to use a classic car for the weekend you can join a classic car club - for a hefty fee of course - and then rent the cars at a reasonable rate. the club uses the fee and rental income to maintain and buy more cars.
Perhaps a lens club could work on the same basis?
Or maybe some sort of time share arrangement?

The Saint
25th March 2009, 01:45 PM
I understand that the 300mm f2.8 and the 90-250 f2.8 Olympus lent the Olympus Safari Group last weekend is destined for LCe's London branch where they will be available for hire.

I'm not sure when or what other lenses will be available.

I believe the issue here is cost. At around 4,000/each for the above lenses LCe would have to rent them out a considerable amount of time to recover the cost of the lens. As previously meantioned in this post Mark at Focus said that Olympus where looking at finanical models to support retailer to allow lenses to be hired. Hopefully something can be agreed to offset the initial cost of obtaining the lenses.

Simon

photo_owl
25th March 2009, 01:51 PM
As has been higlighted many times on here the Olympus Photo Safari Group certainly works with Olympus to make make gear available for use at events so I am not sure what any petition would be about!

As I said earlier in the thread it is my current understanding that some of the lenses made available to people at Leeds Castle on Saturday, or Rutland Water on Sunday, will shortly find their way into a some type of rental resource. I only assume this will include the 90-250 and 300 I played with.

As Dave has already said this appears to have been spawned from recent discussions with Olympus at Focus on Imaging, and has been progressed pretty fast.

No doubt someone who 'knows' will expain in due course.

Jim Ford
25th March 2009, 03:22 PM
I believe the issue here is cost. At around 4,000/each for the above lenses LCe would have to rent them out a considerable amount of time to recover the cost of the lens.

But it looks like if you hire an E1 from 3rdeyecamera hire at 45 for a day, you get the 300mm f2.8 thrown in, plus the others. See my previous posting.

Jim

Ian
25th March 2009, 03:31 PM
Ian,
The fact that there has "been talk within Olympus" suggests that at least in Oly's case they instigate a hire relationship. If this is the case they really should get on it! I am sure that even just between your websites and the Oly Photo Safari group there would be considerable interest. If that is what it would take I'm sure we could organise an official poll/petition to show just how strong the feeling is. Perhaps then they would be willing to approach Calumet or smaller dealers such as the one John mentions.
Let's hope we get some momentum :)
Phil

I've flagged it up - will report back as soon as I get any response.

Ian

Ian
26th March 2009, 07:08 PM
I think some of you may already be aware, but I can confirm that a hire facility is being set up with London Camera Exchange (LCE) in Norwich.

I'll post more details when I get them.

Ian

emirpprime
26th March 2009, 08:16 PM
:)
That's my old haunt as it were. I must say they have always been a great Oly shop and the staff are really nice so give them a go, I will :D
Phil

Vokesie
26th March 2009, 10:39 PM
I know SRS Rayners Lane, & Watford are very Pro Olympus and I know the guys at the London Branch I could always pop in there and see if it is something they would consider,