PDA

View Full Version : LibreOffice

pandora
2nd December 2018, 05:55 PM
Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/)suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.

Wally
2nd December 2018, 06:43 PM
Hi Mark, a :tup from me. I've used the free LO for several months and have found it more than adequate for my needs which revolve around the MS versions of Word and Excel. It's also very easy to transfer over any Word or Excel items to LO. At the price, what's not to like? ;)

Bikie John
2nd December 2018, 06:48 PM
I've been using it for years, first in its earlier incarnation as Open Office and then as Libre Office. I've had very very few problems: occasionally an update introduces a glitch, on the rare occasions it has happened I have just re-installed it from the previous downloaded version and waited for the next update.

John

Darkroom
2nd December 2018, 06:52 PM
Having just received an automated notification from Microsoft that on my new computer the trial period of MS Office has expired and will be disabled by Dec 6 unless I buy it. Such an affront after having had their dud Win10 o/s foisted upon me that I found a likely replacement in the FREE LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/)suite, which is fully compatible with the MS product. It's early days yet but so far I like it a lot. If you have anything to say about Libre, pros or cons, I'd be interested to hear it.

Libre Office is a very reliable, stable program with most, if not all, the features of MS Office.

Another alternative is to purchase an older version of MS Office complete with lifetime activation key from ebay for approx £5.50. These are supposedly salvaged from business computers by building clearance companies and legally resold. We have both options.

Darkroom

Jim Ford
2nd December 2018, 06:55 PM
I've been using LibreOffice for years.

LibreOffice is a fork of the older OpenOffice, which still exists. I believe there was a dispute amongst the OpenOffice developers and some of the team split off to form LibreOffice.

There have been organisations that have adopted OpenOffice (and possibly LO) as their official office suite and the odf file format, because they don't want to be locked into the MS system.

For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim

Darkroom
2nd December 2018, 07:13 PM
For super 'typeset' documents Tex/LaTex is the way to go. A few years back some American universities would only accept theses written with LaTex. I don't know whether it still applies. I used to use LaTex a lot.

Jim

Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind. *chr

Darkroom

TimP
2nd December 2018, 07:19 PM
Having now retired, I don't find the need to contact American Universities too often, but if the need does arise, I'll keep that advice in mind. *chr

Darkroom

You too? Now I don’t feel quite so lonely!:)

DerekW
2nd December 2018, 08:29 PM
I worked with one of the LaTex developers who then worked on XyWrite a rather nice word processor that wwas involved in the newspaper industry for electronic typesetting. I have a Windows 3.1 version of another derivative of this product called Signature, it was cancelled two days before it was to be announced to the world. However I did get quite a lot of travel from the product before it was canned.

pandora
2nd December 2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks all for your reassuring endorsements; gives credence to the movie, Mo Money theme song, The best things in life are free.

percy
3rd December 2018, 08:13 AM
Definitely go with Libre Office. For personal use it's just fine, and should work well for many small business operations too. Unless you're an advanced user with MS Office there isn't going to be very much you can't do with it that you could with MS Office. If you're familiar with MS Office there isn't much of a learning curve with Libre Office.

RobEW
3rd December 2018, 10:12 AM
I've had LibreOffice since a laptop repair at a local shop somehow turned into a reinstall and lost my MS Office. I hate to rent software. LibreOffice has been good and pretty well perfectly compatible except for one of my Excel spreadsheets which has extensive macros in it.

pandora
4th December 2018, 07:54 AM
Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?

Wally
4th December 2018, 08:38 AM
Something I forgot to mention is that L O has an android version. As I haven't used the android version, I can't see any reason why the versions can't be transferred between the two? Perhaps others can comment?

TimP
4th December 2018, 10:31 AM
Percy, Rob, I once used MS Office quite a bite for such as Powerpoint presentations,and spreadsheets before retirement. I still have a number of personal Powerpoint slide show presentations. Microsoft will disable the trial vers. of Office on this new computer in two days from now. Can I be sure those slide shows will still run on Libre?

Only one way to reliably find out..... try ‘em!

Is there a freebie runtime version for showing PowerPoint slides any more? Used to be.

OM USer
4th December 2018, 10:37 AM
I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.

MikeOxon
4th December 2018, 04:41 PM
I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.
My MS Office is 2002 and still works on Windows 7!

I've used Open and then Libre Office for many years and, while some things are done slightly differently, there's a very high degree of compatibility with MS The only major sticking point seems to be 'macros', which are not interchangeable between the two systems.

If you are into historical research, Libre Office has the advantage that it can work with dates before 1900. For Microsoft, the world did not exist before then and, if you use a Mac, the critical year is 1904.

There is also a 'free' version of MS Office 2010 called 'Office Starter' It's officially only for installation on new computers but be found fairly easily on the web. It only includes cut-down versions of Word and Excel plus Powerpoint Viewer.

pandora
5th December 2018, 07:24 PM
Thanks Mike, I make note of "Office Starter" as Powerpoint and Word are the only MS Office features I use nowadays.
I also have a a CD of Office2000 but the key to it once on the back of the jewel case has long since disappeared.
O well, at 83 I guess I won't be needing any of it for too much longer anyway. *shrug *yes

pandora
5th December 2018, 07:34 PM
Only one way to reliably find out..... try ‘em!
Is there a freebie runtime version for showing PowerPoint slides any more? Used to be.Tomorrow our time is crunch day, I'll let you know whether Powerpoint still works on Libre.

I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.I was using Office 2007 on my last computer before it went down with all lives lost. Like you, it did all I needed.

Internaut
8th December 2018, 11:44 PM
The only reason I still use MS Office is for absolute compatibility with the, erm, actual office. Libre Office is fine. For my personal stuff I actually use Google and keep everything online.

peak4
9th December 2018, 01:50 AM
Thanks Mike, I make note of "Office Starter" as Powerpoint and Word are the only MS Office features I use nowadays.
I also have a a CD of Office2000 but the key to it once on the back of the jewel case has long since disappeared.
O well, at 83 I guess I won't be needing any of it for too much longer anyway. *shrug *yes

Hopefully you will be able to continue using it for some time yet.
To that end, have a look at Produkey from Nirsoft (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html). It might well be able to analyse your PC and return you the Office key.

pandora
10th December 2018, 03:08 AM
The only reason I still use MS Office is for absolute compatibility with the, erm, actual office. Libre Office is fine. For my personal stuff I actually use Google and keep everything online.
Thanks Jason. I keep nothing personal online as I don't trust the Internet to store my stuff securely in perpetuity. All archived securely in two external drives.
Hopefully you will be able to continue using it for some time yet.
To that end, have a look at Produkey from Nirsoft (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html). It might well be able to analyse your PC and return you the Office key.Thanks Bill. No problemo, My msWord files can be opened (from behind a Microsoft nag screen), but not editable. This matters not as Libre can.