PDA

View Full Version : Doing the sums

Ricoh
1st December 2018, 04:54 PM
I've been doing the sums, as I said. I reckon we get 10 months every year when it's NOT Christmas.

In another calculation performed using advanced mathematical techniques, I reckon we get 10 to 11 months of it NOT being bomb fire night, and a similar period for it NOT being Halloween.

I'll do some calcs for Valentines and Easter, followed by Black Friday. (Has Black Friday actually finished yet?)

TimP
1st December 2018, 04:57 PM
Got to get New Years Eve in there too

Ricoh
1st December 2018, 05:00 PM
Got to get New Years Eve in there too
Jeez, nearly forgot that one. It's complicated though... I'll see if the calculator has a Scottish key.

TimP
1st December 2018, 05:09 PM
It’ll be under the ‘aye’ key I expect.

Harold Gough
3rd December 2018, 07:47 AM
. (Has Black Friday actually finished yet?)

It seems to hang on in fifty shades of grey!

Harold

Otto
3rd December 2018, 09:40 AM
I get Christmas catalogues in August so I reckon it's 8 months :(.

Harold Gough
3rd December 2018, 10:19 AM

What if you add in the month of new active gym membership and an alcohol-free month?

Harold

TimP
3rd December 2018, 10:21 AM
Gym? What’s that then?

drmarkf
3rd December 2018, 10:22 AM
... bomb fire night...

Could be truer than you might think, Steve.

:D

Otto
3rd December 2018, 10:28 AM
What if you add in the month of new active gym membership and an alcohol-free month?

There's no danger of me either joining a gym or giving up alcohol! *chr.

Naughty Nigel
3rd December 2018, 11:30 AM

Supermarkets sell Hot Cross Buns all year round now so I don't even know when the year starts. :confused:

TimP
3rd December 2018, 11:57 AM
There's no danger of me either joining a gym or giving up alcohol! *chr.

That’s you and me both then Richard. *chr

Wee man
3rd December 2018, 05:50 PM
Easter eggs appear in the shops just after Christmas. So does Easter start then?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MJ224
3rd December 2018, 05:57 PM
Non stop carols in Tesco now. Don't they know when Christmas is...…….Grrr *smash

TimP
3rd December 2018, 06:01 PM
Non stop carols in Tesco now. Don't they know when Christmas is...…….Grrr *smash

Never shop in Asda because they play music all the time, are you saying Tesco is doing it now in the lead up to Xmas? (Rarely shop there either, to be fair!)

Naughty Nigel
3rd December 2018, 06:01 PM
Easter eggs appear in the shops just after Christmas. So does Easter start then?

Well Christmass, as its correctly spelt name implies, does not start officially until the first Mass of Christmass, but then lasts until Candlemass on the 2nd February, so there is no need to take down Christmass decorations until then!

Easter officially starts an noon on Easter Saturday, 20th April and lasts until Pentecost on the 9th June.

Ricoh
3rd December 2018, 06:29 PM
Just wait, DFS sales will start shortly :)

Wee man
3rd December 2018, 06:31 PM
Start I thought they never stopped!

MJ224
3rd December 2018, 06:36 PM
Never shop in Asda because they play music all the time, are you saying Tesco is doing it now in the lead up to Xmas? (Rarely shop there either, to be fair!)

Yes, they even had the village band playing the same yesterday...….Alas its only a mile away, and very convenient...:(

TimP
3rd December 2018, 06:39 PM
Village band isn’t so bad surely it’s the rest of the crap being played far too early that I object too. Much as I like ‘Fairytale of New York’ I’d prefer to hear it first around the 20th!

Ricoh
3rd December 2018, 06:42 PM
Start I thought they never stopped!

'Must end Sunday', apparently!

I'm showing my age now, but Boxing Day was always the start of furniture and holiday sales.

Ricoh
3rd December 2018, 06:55 PM
It seems to be totally unavoidable for American 'speak' to take hold over here, so how long will it be before 'Happy Christmas' is rebranded 'Happy Holidays'?

TimP
3rd December 2018, 07:19 PM
Do they call their Christmas trees ‘holiday trees’?

Otto
4th December 2018, 09:35 AM
Yes, they even had the village band playing the same yesterday...….Alas its only a mile away, and very convenient...:(

We had the Christmas lights switch-on, Father Christmas' arrival and the Silver Band on Saturday (December 1st). That was barely 200 yards away, and I didn't go *chr.

There was Christmas music (sic) playing in the Co-op too. Bah Humbug :mad:.

Naughty Nigel
4th December 2018, 09:54 AM
It seems to be totally unavoidable for American 'speak' to take hold over here, so how long will it be before 'Happy Christmas' is rebranded 'Happy Holidays'?

Newcastle City Council went through a spell of 'Happy Holidays' but thankfully were told by the locals that their attempts at political correctness were seriously misjudged.

Otto
4th December 2018, 10:04 AM
Was it Birmingham City Council that wanted to celebrate "Winterval"? They were seriously derided!

Harold Gough
4th December 2018, 10:39 AM
Was it Birmingham City Council that wanted to celebrate "Winterval"? They were seriously derided!

And what is wrong with "Humbugtide"?

Harold

drmarkf
4th December 2018, 11:51 AM
I was asked to take some shots of our village lights switch-on on Sunday for the next issue of our monthly magazine, and this is what I came up with (mix of Oly and Sony images):

https://www.microcontrast.com/new-blog/2018/12/3/christmas-lights-switch-on-in-shelford

Miserable old bu@@ers needn't bother, of course *zzz

Harold Gough
4th December 2018, 03:11 PM
I was asked to take some shots of our village lights switch-on on Sunday for the next issue of our monthly magazine, and this is what I came up with (mix of Oly and Sony images):

https://www.microcontrast.com/new-blog/2018/12/3/christmas-lights-switch-on-in-shelford

Miserable old bu@@ers needn't bother, of course *zzz

Nice coverage but you missed out the humbug stall :D

Harold

Wee man
5th December 2018, 09:40 AM
Surely we must say other (hum)bugs are also available?

Harold Gough
5th December 2018, 09:46 AM
Surely we must say other (hum)bugs are also available?

I'm sticking with my choice. :D

Harold