PDA

View Full Version : McVities Digestive Biscuit Recipe Change!

Jim Ford
25th November 2018, 12:15 PM
We all like a McVities Digestive biscuit to dunk in our tea/coffee, don't we?

We've bought a supermarket's own brand in the past, but they weren't the same, mainly that they wen't as sweet at the McVities. But now we've noticed that the McVities ones seem now to have less sugar and taste much the same as the supermarket ones.

I checked online to see if others have commented on this, but all I found was that the packet size was reduced by 100g last Jan because of "Increasing Post-Brexit Costs"!

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/mcvities-digestives-packets-shrink-brexit-costs-100g-shrinkflation-biscuits-size-reduced-a8167756.html

Anyone else noticed the different recipe?

Jim

Otto
25th November 2018, 12:53 PM
Ah it's not just me then. I don't buy them very often but biscuits from the latest packet seem harder and less crumbly than in the past. I haven't noticed significant change in the sweetness but the texture is definitely different.

Jim Ford
25th November 2018, 01:34 PM
Ah it's not just me then. I don't buy them very often but biscuits from the latest packet seem harder and less crumbly than in the past. I haven't noticed significant change in the sweetness but the texture is definitely different.

Yes, the texture is different as well. They don't seem to absorb the tea so well. This can be a plus though - sometimes there's a weakness in the biscuit such that it fails and half of it drops into the tea. Ruins my day when this happens!

Jim

TimP
25th November 2018, 02:03 PM
Like yes, dunk no.

Been buying Lidl own branded ones for ages now, just as good but a fraction of the price. Same with Rich Tea too.

Jax
25th November 2018, 02:04 PM
Yes, the texture is different as well. They don't seem to absorb the tea so well. This can be a plus though - sometimes there's a weakness in the biscuit such that it fails and half of it drops into the tea. Ruins my day when this happens!

Jim

When it comes to the crunch, the same thing happens if you leave it in too long. You need to take it out quickly at the first sign of any droop. ;)

Jax

TimP
25th November 2018, 02:09 PM
When it comes to the crunch, the same thing happens if you leave it in too long. You need to take it out quickly at the first sign of any droop. ;)

Jax

That’s all very interesting but what about the biscuit thing?

Wally
25th November 2018, 02:30 PM
The taste and the texture might - perhaps - be down to less sugar being used in the recipe. All this healthy food argy-bargy saying too much of this or too much of that will increase the risk of this and that?

TBH I haven't noticed the differennce, but then again, I do like the chocolate ones... MMMMM. *yes ;)

Jim Ford
25th November 2018, 02:50 PM
TBH I haven't noticed the differennce, but then again, I do like the chocolate ones... MMMMM. *yes ;)

I'm an ascetic - the chocolate ones are too indulgent and decadent!

Jim

TimP
25th November 2018, 03:43 PM
Dark chocolate I hope.

This is actually the only time I will eat dark chocolate, normally hate the stuff.

Otto
25th November 2018, 04:35 PM
I don't drink tea so don't have the dunk issue as I wouldn't want to spoil a nice mug of proper coffee! I haven't noticed any difference in the texture of the chocolate ones now you mention it which is a bit odd. I'm with Tim on the dark chocolate issue though - I prefer milk chocolate but not on a Digestive biscuit for some strange reason.

TimP
25th November 2018, 04:42 PM
How about the chocolate on Hobnobs? Strangely, I’ve just realised, I prefer milk chocolate on those! All very odd.

Jim Ford
25th November 2018, 05:36 PM
How about the chocolate on Hobnobs? Strangely, I’ve just realised, I prefer milk chocolate on those! All very odd.

Hobnobs are owned by the same company - Pladis, Turkish owned company.

Jim

TimP
25th November 2018, 07:02 PM
Ah, but Oaties from Lidl are just as good and less than half the price.

I hope I’m not sounding like a Lidl advertising person.

pandora
26th November 2018, 03:48 AM
Interesting observations as I too am a fan of McVities biscuits, and noticed the drop in size of the plain original biscuit, however, the chocolate coated, and Hob Nob varies remain the same. I prefer dark chocolate every time, milk choc' too sweet and sickly. I must see if our supermarket stocks Oaties from Lidl.

Jim Ford
26th November 2018, 09:46 AM
I must see if our supermarket stocks Oaties from Lidl.

I think Lidl products are only stocked and sold in Lidl.

Jim

sapper
26th November 2018, 10:11 AM
I prefer the less fat ones. Digestives that is, don't see them that often.

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 03:22 PM
McVities Digestives are best with cheese on. :)

They are wasted being dunked into tea and coffee, and have a high 'structural failure rate' resulting in tea or coffee all over the place and a soggy mess in the bottom of the cup.

Jim Ford
26th November 2018, 05:13 PM
They are wasted being dunked into tea and coffee, and have a high 'structural failure rate' resulting in tea or coffee all over the place and a soggy mess in the bottom of the cup.

The latest ones are harder. I think that when you dunked the more sugary ones, the hot tea/coffee quickly dissolved the sugar which helped bind them together, thus structurally weakening them. I agree about the soggy mess in the bottom of the cup though - it ruins the rest of my day!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 07:07 PM
The latest ones are harder. I think that when you dunked the more sugary ones, the hot tea/coffee quickly dissolved the sugar which helped bind them together, thus structurally weakening them. I agree about the soggy mess in the bottom of the cup though - it ruins the rest of my day!

Jim

I'm not sure whether the fat binds them together, so newer, low fat recipes tend to dissolve more readily when dunked to suffer early structural failure.

Clearly Digestives are weakest in tension, so they should be held vertical wherever possible to avoid bending moments.

Jim Ford
26th November 2018, 07:16 PM
Clearly Digestives are weakest in tension, so they should be held vertical wherever possible to avoid bending moments.

But you then need to rotate them to horizontal to eat, and if they've been dunked for too long half of the biscuit breaks off and falls onto your front!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 07:19 PM
But you then need to rotate them to horizontal to eat, and if they've been dunked for too long half of the biscuit breaks off and falls onto your front!

Jim

.... Unless you can tilt your head back far enough for a vertical entry! :D

Rocknroll59
26th November 2018, 08:38 PM
So what is the best biscuit for dunking ?? I always preferred Digestives but hobnobs can take a pounding when it comes to tea and coffee...must be something to do with the structure. Who started dunking anyway?

Peter :D

OM USer
26th November 2018, 09:02 PM
Digestives are good both for dunking and for cheese. Lidl and Sainsbury's own brands are just as good as McVities. If you bite opposite corners off a penguin you can suck up tea through them - so I'm told.

I'm another fan of Lidl Oaties.

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 09:11 PM
Rington's Ginger Snaps are nice for dunking but their structure is very permeable so you have to be careful not to slop tea everywhere when you lift the biscuit out of the cup. They are also very large for dunking in must cups and mugs.

Jim Ford
26th November 2018, 09:41 PM
Digestives are good both for dunking and for cheese. Lidl and Sainsbury's own brands are just as good as McVities.

I've found that other brands to be distinctly inferior in taste and 'mouth feel'. Also their rate of absorption of the tea/coffee is slower, so whilst x seconds dunking may be sufficient for the genuine article, this time may barely penetrate a couple of millimetres of substitute brands.

I notice that there have been attempts to divert the thread onto the subject of Hobnobs, Oaties and even Ginger Snaps. I would like to discourage this trend as it entirely misses the point of Digestive dunking. The essence of Digestive biscuits is that they have a pleasantly mild taste that complements the tea/coffee without overpowering the flavour of the beverage, unlike the boisterous and less subtle flavours of the 'alternative' biscuits. This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 09:42 PM
I notice that there have been attempts to divert the thread onto the subject of Hobnobs, Oaties and even Ginger Snaps. I would like to discourage this trend as it entirely misses the point of Digestive dunking. The essence of Digestive biscuits is that they have a pleasantly mild taste that complements the tea/coffee without overpowering the flavour of the beverage, unlike the boisterous and less subtle flavours of the 'alternative' biscuits. This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim

Point taken. :)

Otto
26th November 2018, 11:52 PM
Personally I never saw the appeal of dunking anyway!

TimP
27th November 2018, 07:24 AM
This is an important feature for the dunking connoisseur!

Jim

Bwahahahah.....dunking and connoisseur..... ha ha ha..... in the same sentence..... ha ha ha!!:D
Stop winding us up Jim.

Harold Gough
27th November 2018, 07:49 AM
Personally I never saw the appeal of dunking anyway!

The ultimate is Gingernuts in orange squash and you suck, not bite.

Harold

Harold Gough
27th November 2018, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure whether the fat binds them together, so newer, low fat recipes tend to dissolve more readily when dunked to suffer early structural failure.

When we can find them, we prefer ones without Palm Oil, that vile excressence of the Far East.

Digestives and Fruit Shortcake are our household staples for cheese and pâté.

Harold

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 10:14 AM

<shudder>

Jim

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 10:19 AM
Bwahahahah.....dunking and connoisseur..... ha ha ha..... in the same sentence..... ha ha ha!!:D
Stop winding us up Jim.

It has of course to be taken with china teacups with a saucer, whilst reclining on a chaise lounge like an ailing poet!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
27th November 2018, 10:23 AM
It has of course to be taken with china teacups with a saucer, whilst reclining on a chaise lounge like an ailing poet!

Jim

Don't forget to crook your little finger Jim. ;)

Jax
27th November 2018, 10:33 AM

Harold

Spot on Harold. *yes This also has the added advantage of more dunks per biscuit than conventional dunking methods, making it economical.

So nice to find another dunker who appreciates the finer things in life *chr

Jax

sapper
27th November 2018, 10:48 AM
My wife, not a dunker, says that you lot need to get a life!

But I must try the ginger nuts, wife's favourite, in orange squash.

TimP
27th November 2018, 10:56 AM

Jim

I have to be honest and say that given a choice I will only drink tea from a cup (mugs are for tradesmen!). I’d love a nice thin china cup but sadly it wouldn’t survive long in our house, the number of things my long suffering wife has broken by hitting the sink tap is incredible.

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 11:05 AM
My German partner drinks kohlwasser and kartoffelwasser - the water that's been used to boil cabbage and potatoes in (but she doesn't dunk biscuits in it - i'd leave if she did)!

Jim

Jax
27th November 2018, 11:18 AM
My wife, not a dunker, says that you lot need to get a life!

But I must try the ginger nuts, wife's favourite, in orange squash.

Dave, you haven't lived till you've sucked orange squash through a ginger nut *chr

Jax

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 11:19 AM

If it was good enough for Marcel Proust to dunk a madeline, it's good enough for me to dunk a digestive!

Jim

Jax
27th November 2018, 11:29 AM
I have to be honest and say that given a choice I will only drink tea from a cup (mugs are for tradesmen!). I’d love a nice thin china cup

Tim, you're beginning to sound like the male equivalent of Mrs. Bucket :D

Jax

Jax
27th November 2018, 11:54 AM
Bourbons are good dunkers too *yes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5628835/The-BEST-biscuit-dunking-tea-revealed-timelapse-video.html

Jax

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 12:09 PM
Bourbons are good dunkers too *yes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5628835/The-BEST-biscuit-dunking-tea-revealed-timelapse-video.html

Fake News!

Jim

Gate Keeper
27th November 2018, 06:48 PM
Digestives are good both for dunking and for cheese. Lidl and Sainsbury's own brands are just as good as McVities. If you bite opposite corners off a penguin you can suck up tea through them - so I'm told.

I'm another fan of Lidl Oaties.

I am in support of your view about Sainsbury's own brand being just as good as McVities. I have to laugh at the brand snobs who spend the extra for the same thing, no offence intended resident McVitie lovers. Yesterday I bought a 500g packet in Sainsbury's for 50p. Not at all crumbly and tasted just as great. I am hoping the biscuits will pan out until I catch the plane back to Kenya on Sunday. I bow to your experience about sucking up the tea :) :p

TimP
27th November 2018, 06:54 PM
Minor deviation, I’ve a packet of Aldi chocolate fingers (chocolate thumbs my son used to call them!) in the fridge but I can’t bring myself to even try them. I know they can’t be as good as the proper Cadbury ones, despite the change of Cadbury’s chocolate when they were bought out my some dreadful American conglomerate, yet they will be out of date before I might try them.

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 08:09 PM
Breaking News!

My partner bought a packet of Aldi's Digestive biscuits today and initial trials look promising. They seem close in taste and 'mouth feel' to authentic McVities. The crucial test will be carried out tomorrow morning, whilst sitting up in bed with a cup of tea.

Jim

Jax
27th November 2018, 08:33 PM
Breaking News!

My partner bought a packet of Aldi's Digestive biscuits today and initial trials look promising. They seem close in taste and 'mouth feel' to authentic McVities. The crucial test will be carried out tomorrow morning, whilst sitting up in bed with a cup of tea.

Jim

Ha ! Some people are just sooo spoilt !! Keep us updated with the test results Jim *yes

Jax

TimP
27th November 2018, 09:07 PM
Breaking News!

Jim

Have you seriously not yet succumbed to the joys of the German retailers?
It’s not the best shopping experience but they have some pretty good stuff although you often find a gem only tomnever see it again. Their Hortus gin (Lidl) is excellent and the Aldi version is supposed to be even better. There’s some good cheeses, good ice cream, all kinds of stuff. Worth putting up with the warehouse ambience.

TimP
27th November 2018, 09:08 PM
Ha ! Some people are just sooo spoilt !! Keep us updated with the test results Jim *yes

Jax

At least he said cup and not mug!

Go Jim, go.

Jax
27th November 2018, 09:27 PM
At least he said cup and not mug!

Go Jim, go.

Until you've tasted tea brewed in an enamel pint pot you can't claim to be a connoisseur of the finer things in life. Besides that, a mug's too small for the dog to get its muzzle into and finish off the slops and tea leaves. Saves so much time when it comes to washing the dishes :D

Jax

TimP
27th November 2018, 09:39 PM
Until you've tasted tea brewed in an enamel pint pot you can't claim to be a connoisseur of the finer things in life. Besides that, a mug's too small for the dog to get its muzzle into and finish off the slops and tea leaves. Saves so much time when it comes to washing the dishes :D

Jax

By ‘brewed’ I presume you mean proper loose leaf tea and not a grotty tea bag.
I’ve had tea in an enamel mug, from a tea pot, made with real tea, and it was fine but that was many years ago I suspect.

Jim Ford
27th November 2018, 10:11 PM
Have you seriously not yet succumbed to the joys of the German retailers?

We don't go to Aldi as often as we'd like too - the parking is terrible because the car park isn't adequate for the number of customers they get. Lidl is better, but much further away. Neither of them have sauerkraut that my partner loves :eek:

Jim

Jax
27th November 2018, 10:18 PM
By ‘brewed’ I presume you mean proper loose leaf tea and not a grotty tea bag.
I’ve had tea in an enamel mug, from a tea pot, made with real tea, and it was fine but that was many years ago I suspect.

I suppose the correct term is "infuse" but even a tea bag should be allowed time to brew/infuse. Not just thrown into the tea pot, mug or cup and thrashed around with a spoon and poured which seems to be the norm now.

I agree with the grotty tea bag comment. Comparing any tea bag to quality loose tea is akin to comparing Kraft cheese slices to a fine aged Welsh cheddar. :)

We've used tea bags and loose tea over the years, but SWMBO doesn't like any trace of tea leaves in the cup, so tea bags it is now. I know which I prefer. *yes

Jax

TimP
28th November 2018, 06:35 AM
Loose tea is a total pain in terms of usability but totally wins out on taste. I think it’s worth the hassle. I might not have thought the same before the days of council waste food caddy’s.

DerekW
28th November 2018, 09:03 AM
I hope Ian is receiving product placement fees for this thread. If he is then he is set to be the next internet multi millionaire

TimP
28th November 2018, 09:06 AM
I can’t imagine the German greengrocers are likely to be rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of a few more old fuddy duddies coming along and buying some 39p packs of biscuits, although we started small and now buy all kinds of stuff there, including their aged fillet steaks, which along with lamb steaks are really good and excellent value.

DerekW
28th November 2018, 09:58 AM
how much were you paid for this plug <g>

TimP
28th November 2018, 10:03 AM
I wish!

Have I told you about the wonderful.....

Harold Gough
28th November 2018, 10:43 AM
I hope Ian is receiving product placement fees for this thread. If he is then he is set to be the next internet multi millionaire

Don't get his hopes up, as they could easily crumble.:D

Harold

TimP
28th November 2018, 11:18 AM
Don't get his hopes up, as they could easily crumble.:D

Harold

..and drop into the tea?