PDA

View Full Version : Google Analytics?

Crazy Dave
21st November 2018, 02:43 PM
Up until last week, I was getting between 100 - 120 visitors each week to my very moribund web site . In preparation for a talk, I created a LINKS page with a list of book titles and a relatively small number of linkages to sites that I enjoy. The day before the talk, the number of visitors rose to 70. In the last week there have been 514 unique visitors. Nearly a 500% increase.

I guess the search engines like the links but I'd like to know more about this stuff. Can anyone point me to an idiot's guide to the dark art? I'm thinking of search terms used and source of the viewers.

Thanks

David

Otto
21st November 2018, 03:30 PM
It's a long time since I looked but my ISP provides statistics like that. At the time (10 years or so ago) the large majority of visitors came via a forum similar to this one. Getting people talking about your product (if it is a product) is the best way to generate interest, far more effective (and a lot cheaper!) than advertising. Of course, quite a high proportion of visits were by search engines indexing the pages!

Naughty Nigel
22nd November 2018, 12:40 PM
Google doesn't like moribund web sites!

The bots that trawl the net like to see changes in web sites, even if that is adding a few lines of text or changing prices. I think that is one of the reasons that the likes of eBay and Facebook often come out on top when performing searches because there is so much activity.

Frequently searched sites also tend to come out higher in search results.