PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Wally
20th November 2018, 01:28 PM
*super :tup Deal... or no deal. t-dwn :mad: That is the question? --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46263150

Naughty Nigel
20th November 2018, 08:54 PM
I see Adobe is offering a 39% discount of CC subscriptions taken out before Friday. I shall be renewing mine with the discount today.

Keith-369
20th November 2018, 09:37 PM
I see Adobe is offering a 39% discount of CC subscriptions taken out before Friday. I shall be renewing mine with the discount today.

Don't use Adobe but be careful, that deal may be for new customers only, not for renewals, just like many other deals we see. *chr

Otto
21st November 2018, 02:31 PM
Black Friday appears to be lasting at least a week this year!

TimP
21st November 2018, 04:49 PM
Black Friday appears to be lasting at least a week this year!

It has done for several years, there always seems to be a run up to it on Amazon.

Otto
21st November 2018, 05:06 PM
That's probably true. To be honest I take little notice of it :). I try to avoid any and all advertising from August to January because it's even more annoying than usual; wall-to-wall Christmas, Black Friday and January Sales which of course start on Boxing Day now!

Naughty Nigel
22nd November 2018, 10:53 AM
Don't use Adobe but be careful, that deal may be for new customers only, not for renewals, just like many other deals we see. *chr

You are correct; it is supposed to be for new and returning customers only, even though they sent the offer email to my Adobe account email address!

However, I persevered, contacted Adobe support and have been signed up with the Black Friday deal.

Keith-369
22nd November 2018, 11:24 AM
You are correct; it is supposed to be for new and returning customers only, even though they sent the offer email to my Adobe account email address!

However, I persevered, contacted Adobe support and have been signed up with the Black Friday deal.

Well done *yes *yes *chr

drmarkf
22nd November 2018, 01:07 PM
Affinity are offering 30% off everything.

Jim Ford
23rd November 2018, 02:03 PM
'Black Friday' is yet another example of creeping Americanism that I view with suspicion!

Jim

Internaut
23rd November 2018, 02:23 PM
Almost bought a Fujifilm XT-20, but decided against it. I don’t need a third system (and besides, I’m strongly considering paying whatever the full price will be, for the Pen F mk ii, next year, assuming a big improvement).

Harold Gough
23rd November 2018, 02:37 PM
I went out today to a garden centre which sells bulk bird seed at reasonable prices. I purchased two mixes and both had gone up in price since earlier this year. I pointed out that it was Black Friday and that prices should have gone down. The effect: like water of a duck's back.

Harold

TimP
23rd November 2018, 02:51 PM
Always looking out for a bargain and sadly tempted by a Crucial 2TB SSD from EBuyer for £209... last one I bought a couple of years ago was best part of £500 and the current price is still around £300....tempting.........

Naughty Nigel
23rd November 2018, 03:22 PM
I was hoping that HP's 508X colour laser toner cartridges might be reduced from their current extortionate price of £242.99 each, but I was disappointed.

Right now you can buy a new HP M553 printer complete with cartridges for less than a set of four cartridges alone. Which might explain why these printers regularly pop up on eBay in brand new condition but without cartridges. :rolleyes:

TimP
23rd November 2018, 03:34 PM
HP have had an offer running for months with cash back on certain carts (mine included but I never got round to ordering any before it was too late) might be worth checking, maybe google hp toner cashback or something. Worth a look maybe.

Naughty Nigel
23rd November 2018, 03:40 PM
HP have had an offer running for months with cash back on certain carts (mine included but I never got round to ordering any before it was too late) might be worth checking, maybe google hp toner cashback or something. Worth a look maybe.

They do, but you usually have to buy two of each! :eek:

TimP
23rd November 2018, 03:45 PM
Wow, at those prices I can see how one would wince!

Why so expensive? What’s so special about the printer?

sapper
23rd November 2018, 03:53 PM
Always looking out for a bargain and sadly tempted by a Crucial 2TB SSD from EBuyer for £209... last one I bought a couple of years ago was best part of £500 and the current price is still around £300....tempting.........

Ooh, this IS tempting.

(N0 N0, I am skint)

Naughty Nigel
23rd November 2018, 03:55 PM
Wow, at those prices I can see how one would wince!

Why so expensive? What’s so special about the printer?

It is a very good, high speed colour laser printer producing good photographic quality images on plain paper. Output is about forty pages per minute. The toners are claimed to be good for 9,000 pages each, but that doesn't make them any cheaper to buy.

I also have a much older HP 4500 DN machine which does much the same job but is a lot slower - four pages per minute with a four minute warm-up time, but I can get the consumables for virtually nothing as there are schools, universities, council offices and suchlike where they have vast stockpiles that are no longer needed. I should point out that the cost of these consumables, when new, was similar to those for the new machine.

The old machine used a lot of consumables, (toners, imaging drum, transfer belts, fuser, etc.), but the new machine combines everything bar the fuser into the toner cartridges which I suppose justifies the high price, but you still have to swallow hard when buying a full set!

sapper
23rd November 2018, 03:57 PM
I did manage to get three pair of Craghopper pants for a good price. £78.50 in postage.
And I DO need them, her indoors is always going on about the state of pairs that I have. (only had them about 10 years)

TimP
23rd November 2018, 03:57 PM
Ooh, this IS tempting.

(N0 N0, I am skint)

I know! Tell me about it!

TimP
23rd November 2018, 03:58 PM
I did manage to get three pair of Craghopper pants for a good price. £78.50 in postage.
And I DO need them, her indoors is always going on about the state of pairs that I have. (only had them about 10 years)

Thatís a lot to spend on postage!:)

TimP
23rd November 2018, 04:01 PM
It is a very good, high speed colour laser printer producing good photographic quality images on plain paper. Output is about forty pages per minute. The toners are claimed to be good for 9,000 pages each, but that doesn't make them any cheaper to buy.

I also have a much older HP 4500 DN machine which does much the same job but is a lot slower - four pages per minute with a four minute warm-up time, but I can get the consumables for virtually nothing as there are schools, universities, council offices and suchlike where they have vast stockpiles that are no longer needed. I should point out that the cost of these consumables, when new, was similar to those for the new machine.

The old machine used a lot of consumables, (toners, imaging drum, transfer belts, fuser, etc.), but the new machine combines everything bar the fuser into the toner cartridges which I suppose justifies the high price, but you still have to swallow hard when buying a full set!
I love the idea of cheap stuff cos some local authority had a really crap purchasing system that meant they had more stuff than they needed. No wonder the country is broke. I used to work for LG and the stories I could tell are terrible really, most of it down to inept procurement basically. Scandalous.

Naughty Nigel
23rd November 2018, 04:11 PM
I love the idea of cheap stuff cos some local authority had a really crap purchasing system that meant they had more stuff than they needed. No wonder the country is broke. I used to work for LG and the stories I could tell are terrible really, most of it down to inept procurement basically. Scandalous.

I cannot help but notice that these are exactly the same organisations that are always complaining about funding shortfalls.

I use the old HP 4500 DN printer to produce my technical manuals because it can take as long as it likes. Sometimes I leave it running overnight.

I recently bought four full sets of toner cartridges, four imaging drums, a transfer belt and fuser for the grand total of £45 on eBay, including shipping. The total value of this lot would have been in excess of £3,500 new, and there were plenty more on offer. If only I had the space to store them all.

When the shipment arrived the boxes bore the original address labels for Middlesbrough Town Council Offices.

Jim Ford
23rd November 2018, 07:33 PM

I always wear Craghoppers, getting them from Ebay - but although they're fine, I often wonder if they're genuine. The velcro on the 'cargo' pockets doesn't last.

Jim

TimP
23rd November 2018, 07:43 PM
I always wear Craghoppers, getting them from Ebay - but although they're fine, I often wonder if they're genuine. The velcro on the 'cargo' pockets doesn't last.

Jim

I think you can probably assume they are not genuine!

Jim Ford
24th November 2018, 11:51 AM
I think you can probably assume they are not genuine!

I'm undecided! The quality is very good. One pair is from probably 10 years ago and the only 'problem' is with the pocket velcro losing it's 'stickiness'. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the same seller again.

Jim

Otto
24th November 2018, 11:58 AM
I bought a pair from the local outdoor shop a couple of months ago as my old ones ahd faded and were starting to look a bit tired. They must be at least 10 years old! The new ones have a larger pocket for today's larger mobiles - my new phone doesn't fit the old trousers :).

Internaut
24th November 2018, 05:47 PM
Back on topic for a camera forum :D. I’m repeatedly tempted with some of the Black Friday offers for the Panasonic GX9. Notwithstanding the YI M1, it’s the currently the cheapest way to get i) the best Four Thirds sensor currently available and ii) 4K video recording.

Darkroom
24th November 2018, 06:58 PM
Back on topic for a camera forum

Wrong ! This is The Lounge *yes so definitely Off Topic :D

Darkroom

Darkroom
24th November 2018, 07:04 PM
I'm undecided! The quality is very good. One pair is from probably 10 years ago and the only 'problem' is with the pocket velcro losing it's 'stickiness'. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the same seller again.

Jim

Jim, why not just buy some Velcro strip from ebay and replace the worn out stuff ? Thats what we do. Ive just replaced the Velcro pad on my palm sander ( that didn't need a needle and thread though ) :)

Darkroom

Jim Ford
24th November 2018, 09:11 PM
Jim, why not just buy some Velcro strip from ebay and replace the worn out stuff ? Thats what we do. Ive just replaced the Velcro pad on my palm sander ( that didn't need a needle and thread though ) :)

My partner tried sewing some on, but it's quite tough to get a needle through.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th November 2018, 01:35 PM
Just when we thought we had escaped Black Friday we wake up to Cyber Monday!

It seems Black Friday's 'un-missable' deals were not so good after all. :rolleyes:

TimP
26th November 2018, 01:43 PM
Guess whose TV decided to die last night!
John Lewis don’t do CyberMonday - damn!

Jim Ford
29th November 2018, 04:59 PM
I've just ordered a Panasonic 15mm f1.7 lens on Ebay £314 but with the 'PRESENTS' coupon applied it's come down to £266.90.

It's coming from Switzerland and advertised "ALL CUSTOMS AND DUTIES PAID, NO EXTRA CHARGES,UK RETURN", so fingers crossed!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
29th November 2018, 05:57 PM
I've just ordered a Panasonic 15mm f1.7 lens on Ebay £314 but with the 'PRESENTS' coupon applied it's come down to £266.90.

It's coming from Switzerland and advertised "ALL CUSTOMS AND DUTIES PAID, NO EXTRA CHARGES,UK RETURN", so fingers crossed!

Jim

Isn't Switzerland outside of the EU though? ;)

Sounds like a bargain anyhow. Is that the Zeiss glass?

I recently bought a used 25 mm f1.7 Zuiko lens from our local independent camera shop which produces superb images and is a lot lighter than my 12 ~ 40 Pro.

Jim Ford
29th November 2018, 09:09 PM
Isn't Switzerland outside of the EU though? ;)

I'm trusting the claim "NO EXTRA CHARGES" and won't be very pleased if it turns out to be untrue!

Sounds like a bargain anyhow. Is that the Zeiss glass?

Leica 'Summilux'

Jim

Internaut
30th November 2018, 04:26 PM
So, I bagged a Neewer tripod (bigger than I expected) and a kick ass Logitech wireless Mouse (it looks like Boba Fett’s ship, Slave One). Add to that a protective sleeve for my MacBook Pro so I can take it to Lanzarote with me.

I have mixed feelings about the Panasonic GX9 I decided not to go for. It looks like a fine camera and a good partner for both my Olympus and Panasonic lenses. The Curry’s pricing error on the Fuji XT-20 still appears to be live, if anyone is interested.

TimP
30th November 2018, 09:24 PM
Logitech mouse? Don’t you use the Apple Magic Mouse? Love the thing, although I’ve not got the ver 2 one as the ridiculous charging port is up the bottom (fnar fnar) meaning you can’t use it while it charges - madness.

Internaut
1st December 2018, 12:25 AM
Logitech mouse? Donít you use the Apple Magic Mouse? Love the thing, although Iíve not got the ver 2 one as the ridiculous charging port is up the bottom (fnar fnar) meaning you canít use it while it charges - madness.

Beloved employer gave me a monster laptop I call LGV (though OGV would apply), so I thought Iíd up my Mouse. Havenít used the Magic Mouse in years - The toughpad on my MacBook is that good (and OGV* is also good, in this respect).

*ordinateur ŗ grande vitesse.

TimP
1st December 2018, 07:48 AM
As good as the touch pads undoubtedly are, on both my ancient (2010) MBP and recent Air I still strangely prefer an actual mouse. I bought a Magic Trackpad, or whatever they are called, for use with my Mac Mini, but never really got on with it. Very personal things I guess, you like ‘em or loathe ‘em!

sapper
1st December 2018, 08:56 AM
Logitech mouse? Donít you use the Apple Magic Mouse? Love the thing, although Iíve not got the ver 2 one as the ridiculous charging port is up the bottom (fnar fnar) meaning you canít use it while it charges - madness.

I just plug it in overnight every so often.

TimP
1st December 2018, 09:30 AM
I’m sure that’s a perfect solution but the whole thing seems like a total failure on Apples part to design something like that. All it needed was the lightning port to be at the front of the mouse and when it needed charging you just pop the cable in and use it like a wired mouse while it charges. Instead you need to prop it up on its side like a broken rally car! I can’t believe it made it out the door with that design.

Internaut
1st December 2018, 10:16 AM
In my experience, a Mouse is far better for Photoshop selections while the trackpad works better (for me) for most other things. I always have both, but the MX Master makes my Logitech trackpad pretty redundant.

Bikie John
1st December 2018, 11:08 AM
Way off topic, but.... tablet and pen for me every time.

John

Jim Ford
7th December 2018, 01:33 PM

Well, I paid my money by Paypal and go an immediate acknowledgement, but not from the vendor. Four days went by during which my anal sphincter became increasingly twitchy, and then I got an email from the vendor with an attached image showing the lens in its box and the order. This still left a nagging doubt in my mind, but then a couple of days ago I got an email with the tracking details. This morning the lens arrived, with nothing extra to pay.

So it looks like at £267 I did get a bargain after all, especially as some on Ebay are being advertised at £482!

I'm puzzled. The packaging didn't indicate in any way that the lens had come from Switzerland, just a return address in Salford, so I'm not sure of its origin and travels.

I've now just got to get out there and start using it. I might leave my zoom lenses at home and just take my 30mm Sigma and the 15mm Panasonic and see if an 'all prime' setup suits me.

Jim