PDA

View Full Version : W10 Activation Request Watermark Fixed

Harold Gough
15th November 2018, 07:53 AM
About a week ago, I discovered a watermark message in the bottom right corner of the screen. It was demanding that my W10 should be activated (having used it for two years with regular updates). It was right in the way of vital buttons of PhotoShop plugins.

There was a short-term remedy by running the update troubleshooter and rebooting but it would come back.

It seems that this came from a November (Tuesday?) update download and install. It seems that MS had issued (where?) an apology.

This morning (Thursday) I noticed a very short update install when I booted up my PC. The watermark has now gone. Coincidence?

It also seems to have got rid of that irritating message (top right of screen) "restore pages? Google Chrome didn't close down properly", except for the first visit after the activation.

Harold

TimP
15th November 2018, 08:02 AM
I noticed it too on my Win 10 VM. Been happy for always until a few days ago (I forget exactly when) then there was the ‘not activated’ message. I’ve ignored it and it seems to have gone away as of yesterday.

Harold Gough
16th November 2018, 11:28 AM
It was back again on boot-up this morning but I removed it with the setting troubleshooter and a reboot.

Harold

TimP
16th November 2018, 11:38 AM
Mines not been rebooted since the 9th Nov and under “Properties” of My PC it’s showing as activated so I’m assuming ‘they’ve’ done something!
This is despite seeing the ‘Not Activated’ message that kicked this thread off.

Harold Gough
16th November 2018, 02:06 PM
I got rid of the watermark but at the bottom of the Settings page it says that Widows is not activated.

Harold

Harold Gough
30th November 2018, 07:58 AM
The watermark kept coming back so I thought I would see about activation. Firt I wanted access to the W10 Product key. All sorts of convulated ways of find it were proposed in internet blogs.

I went to the Search Box at the base of the Start menu and typed in 2"product key". This gave me a list of locations, including a files calle "keys.txt". I clicked on that and got Product Name, Product ID, Product Key and ll the codes. (I also got the same for Office and Internet Explorer.

I went into Settings and opened Personalisation. When I tried to change the Start menu style it said I had to activate Windows, offering me a link. I clicked on that and suddenly it was activated, no need to enter the Key Code.

So far (2 reboots) the watermark has no reappeared.

I suddenly found updates were available and installed themselves.

Following that, I found all kind of apps installed, many of which (e.g. Angry Birds) I uninstalled. One of the more interesting keepers was IrFanView (64), which I had been unable to get to work properly and uninstalled. It is of particular use for the, by far, most detailed EXIF I have seen in any software pack (e.g. focus distance).

Harold

Harold Gough
30th November 2018, 09:19 AM
I have checked the IrFanView version and it will not work with all the plug-ins but looks fine for my needs, now that I have DxO pro.

Harold