PDA

View Full Version : E3 Body or E-520 with 12-60mm

John R
23rd March 2009, 02:52 PM
Looking to upgrade from my first DSLR a E-410 which i will have had for approx 2 years.

The dilema, use all my money on:

1. An E3 body and utilise the standard twin lens (bought with E-410) and 70-300mm I already own
2. Buy a E-520 with the 12-60mm lens

I usually use my current DSLR for Scenery, Water Sports (Surfing etc.) and more and more the back up to the wedding photographer.

Any help/thoughts appreciated, as I'm unsure which would give me the best set up for my needs.

j.baker
23rd March 2009, 04:20 PM
I would choose glass over the body. The 12-60mm is a vastly better than the already great kit lenses.

Rather that look at the 520, why not look around for a cheap 510. There are loads on ebay, and I belive that one of the forum members may be selling one shortly (not me BTW).

Barrie Norman
23rd March 2009, 06:22 PM
John

You will get lots of conflicting advice, but not only the E3, but you also have the choice of the E30, E620 both give you a lot of advantages over the E410.

I would go for the E3 as you will keep it for a long time, and there are some bargins to be had if you shop around, I have seen the advertised under 900. My take on buying a new body is ignore the mega pixel brigade and see what the camera will give you above the one you currently have, in the case of upgrading from the 410 to the 510/520 the only gain is image stab, do you realy need this, I dont think so with the lenes you have. The gains you would get with the above mentioned bodies is a lot more, check out the spec of each before you decide.

mike_j
23rd March 2009, 06:43 PM
Warning - conflicting advice!!! Do be aware that the E3 is a large, heavy camera, and the allure of such cameras wears off on a long treck. The new E620 seems to me (and I accept entirely it's all a personal choice) the best of the bunch, reasonable size, best currently available sensor and articulating screen. Isn't sealed which may be a consideration for watersports.

If I had 500 to spend I would buy a 12-60mm and worry about upgrading bodies later. Digital bodies are high depreciation items, good lenses go on and on - unless outdated by new focussing systems :eek:

Wreckdiver
23rd March 2009, 09:11 PM
I agree with what's already been said and go for the 12-60mm first. It's a cracking lens. Whatever body(s) you have in the future the lens will be the common factor of your system.

Steve

Archphoto
23rd March 2009, 10:05 PM
What ever you do: keep the E410 ! You will be so sorry when you have sold it.

I have both the E410 and E520.
The E410 takes better night shots
The E410 shows less "banding" and noise at the same ISO settings.

Should I continue ?

Peter

Kiwi Paul
23rd March 2009, 10:41 PM
I have the 520, E3 and 12-60, I started out with the 520 with the kit lens (14-42) and eventually bought the 12-60mm, the extra zoom range (particularly at the wide end) and the extra speed (f2.8-4.0) are real benefits compared to the kit lens and the IQ is better too, on the downside the lens is much bigger and heavier than the kit lens but it works very well with the 520.

So I'd say go for the lens first.

I'd probably think twice about upgrading to the 520 from the 410 if funds allow I'd hang on and consider the 620, if you are keeping the 410 then both cameras will use the same batteries if you go for the 520 or E3 they use different batteries.

You could ponder waiting for the 620 to be released and consider maybe buying that with the new 14-54mm lens, you could possibly afford to get both at once. While the lens may not be the 12-60 it does appear to be a superb lens and is cheaper than the 12-60.

Paul

photo_owl
24th March 2009, 08:58 AM
might as well dive in with another couple of pointers.....

1. the argument as presented earlier that the E3 fits with your watersports falls flat in the abscence of weather proof lenses..........I would rather put the camera body in a plastic bag with a weatherproof lens than the other way round.

2. if you bought the 410 purely on price then this one's irrelevant but if you like the form factor/size/weight then getting the E3 would mean retaining the 410.

3. having a 4xx, 5xx and e3 I would have no hesitation in the statement that the 620 form factor is superior to all three of them - based on the brief handling (courtesy of alertBri on here). If I was to have only one body based on feature set and body form it would be an absolute no brainer right now.

4. the e3 IQ is a known quantity whilst the 620 is 'emerging'. Personally I wouldn't let this effect my decision making right now but I wouldn't feel comfortable making an unqualified recomendation yet, especially when the subject of weddings is mentioned.

5. your existing lenses are a good match to the 620 in terms of size weight and CDAF capability.

6. if you are planning to keep the 410 then, as already said, you have a battery match with the 620 which is usefull (I have 4 BLS-1s and 6 BLM-1s ;o( )

7. the 12-60 should still be on the list with either purchase as a great travel and general purpose lens - it helps in your case that it's well suited to weddings! I wouldn't bother with the 14-54 over the 14-42 from a financial perspective (but I would get the 12-60).

Overall, based on the information presented to date, and taking into account the above comments I would -

trade in the 410 body against a 620 plus 12-60, and a reputable store will give you some value against such a package (LCE Strand, Park, depends on your location)

consider adding a second hand e3 body to work with the 12-60 for your watersports in really poor conditions as and when the prices fall to meet you budget going forwards (think 400 around next winter)

Jonesgj
28th March 2009, 03:54 PM
Lots of comments regarding E-520, so in its defence...

"Rather that look at the 520, why not look around for a cheap 510. "

The E-520 offers slightly more and you can get these new for less than 400 (i saw one for 397 in Currys this morning)

"in the case of upgrading from the 410 to the 510/520 the only gain is image stab, do you realy need this"

I like the 520 styling, its has 3 IS options (which my son misses on his E-420) It can operate wireless flash guns such as the FL36r and FL50r - something I am having fun experimenting with. Bigger, brighter LCD, which can be adjusted. There is more direct access to features from buttons.

"I have both the E410 and E520. The E410 takes better night shots The E410 shows less "banding" and noise at the same ISO settings. Should I continue ?"

Not in my experience - but that just it - it personal experience.

Well I have E-510 and E-520 (I have had E-300 and E-500) and my son has an E-420.

Despite all this experience I would say its personal choice and budget, and providing you are okay with the smaller grip, the E-620 looks great. I would agree with comments which say glass is important, so the 12-60 is probably the better/more obvious upgrade.

The pictures I have taken seem, to me, superior to the others - why? beauty in the eye of the beholder?? Better Lens as I upgraded my glass? The other cameras are perfectly capable, but so is the E-520. Difficult choice, but thats why you are asking for advice.

Hopefully you find my comments helpful.

Regards

Graydon

(wow! I just reviewed this prioir to posting; must be the longest one I have ever written - hope you don't think its a rant! Its not meant to be, I do respect everyone else's comments)

yorky
28th March 2009, 06:05 PM
Well, I would buy the 14-54 lens, I sold mine to buy the 12 60 but its not that much better and very heavy especially on an E3. You could then at some future time buy the 9-14 and possibly the 620 or wait awhile till the E5 comes along!

Jonesgj
28th March 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I would buy the 14-54 lens, I sold mine to buy the 12 60 but its not that much better and very heavy especially on an E3. You could then at some future time buy the 9-14 and possibly the 620 or wait awhile till the E5 comes along!

I love my 14-54mm too. Can see these going relatively cheap on eBay. Not sure what the new mk2 is like.

EH1
30th March 2009, 11:43 AM
I also agree to buy a 14-54mm (you can get a good secondhand one for about 220) where as a 12-60mm lens costs around 600. Thats gives you 380 then you could sell your e-410 for about 100, which then means your very close to affording a secondhand e-3 (which is the body I would recommend). Of course this is just what I would do in your position, but all the other advice you have been given is all good!