PDA

View Full Version : Motor Insurance Question

freewheeler
7th November 2018, 06:59 AM
Hiya all, I've just noticed the last time I visited was 25/09/2018, how time flies. Anyway, over the last several years I have moved house on three occasions and every time I've moved my car insurance has increased, same setup for each property, car parked on drive etc so no major changes to cover. I was curious to know if anyone has had a reduction in premium after a move?
Cheers, Dave

Otto
7th November 2018, 09:07 AM
If I recall correctly I think mine went down slightly when I moved from urban Hemel Hempstead to rural North Yorkshire in 2002 but since then it has risen every year by considerably more than the rate of inflation. A couple of years ago my renewal quote was so much higher that I tried a comparison site and got a quote from the same company for £100 less than the renewal! After a lengthy discussion they matched the lower price, but of course the following year it was a big jump. Insurance is one of my biggest pet hates :rolleyes:.

Jim Ford
7th November 2018, 10:28 AM
Last month I changed the address at which I keep my car. I was given a refund because the new address has a lower crime rate. The refund was partially negated by the charge for changing my personal details!

Jim

freewheeler
7th November 2018, 11:46 AM
I've moved from the town centre to a outlying area. I wouldn't imagine that the crime rate is worse here than where I was so I questioned the increase(about £76 for the remaining 8 months of the current policy)and was advised by the agent on the phone that because I had moved into a better area, the other vehicles on the road that I would collide with would probably be more expensive cars and hence more expensive to repair. I've never heard anything so stupid. A few years ago I swapped from a group 16 car(Vauxhall Omega 2.5) to a group 12 car(Rover 75 1.8T), the insurance went up, again I questioned why a car in a lower group should incur extra cost and was advised that that particular company didn't take any notice of groups. If motor insurance was not mandatory then it would be a lot less. On a similar note, my little motor cruiser for use on the canal and river network only has to be insured so for comprehensive cover I pay around £130.00, bear in mind I travel at 4 mph maximum on a canal and 6mph on rivers, it fibre glass, the reason it costs so much apparently is If I hit a bridge or lock gates it would be expensive to repair them. I know who would come of worse should I hit either.

Jim Ford
7th November 2018, 12:26 PM
I've moved from the town centre to a outlying area. I wouldn't imagine that the crime rate is worse here than where I was so I questioned the increase(about £76 for the remaining 8 months of the current policy)and was advised by the agent on the phone that because I had moved into a better area, the other vehicles on the road that I would collide with would probably be more expensive cars and hence more expensive to repair. I've never heard anything so stupid.

Mine worked the other way! My car is now registered in an affluent area, whereas previously it was in a less affluent one. The premium came down. I guess it's because what little policing there is in Watford is concentrated in the 'better' areas!

Jim

freewheeler
7th November 2018, 03:55 PM
I think they make it up as they go along.

Jax
7th November 2018, 04:03 PM
Mine worked the other way! My car is now registered in an affluent area, whereas previously it was in a less affluent one. The premium came down. I guess it's because what little policing there is in Watford is concentrated in the 'better' areas!

Jim

Our cars are registered in a very effluent area :)

Jax

Wally
7th November 2018, 04:26 PM
This link might prove interesting depending on annual mileage? ... pay as you drive --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45758926 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45758926)

wornish
7th November 2018, 04:41 PM
I always, always check on price comparison sites for any insurance renewal, car or house Automatic renewals never go down.

I have had the same experience where I was quoted a significantly lower price than the renewal price and yes it was by the same company.

Its a money making racket.

Wee man
7th November 2018, 07:03 PM
I can never understand that the letter with my renewal quote always tells me to ring them as this may NOT be the lowest that the company can give!

Why not??????

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MikeOxon
7th November 2018, 09:30 PM
I can never understand that the letter with my renewal quote always tells me to ring them as this may NOT be the lowest that the company can give! Why not??????

Why not indeed. There is certainly no reward for loyalty. I had let mine renew without questioning over several years and got almost 50% reduction when I asked for a new quotation. Same for house insurance, as well.

Naughty Nigel
7th November 2018, 11:13 PM
Last month I changed the address at which I keep my car. I was given a refund because the new address has a lower crime rate. The refund was partially negated by the charge for changing my personal details!

Jim

Ahh now, my wife's car was limited to 10,000 miles PA, but the insurance company, Admiral, ask you to call them if you are likely to exceed that figure.

I duly called, and was told that there was an additional payment of £6.30 for the extra mileage, and an £18 admin fee for updating the policy!

When I pointed out the idiocy of this the agent 'spoke to her supervisor' and the admin charge was dropped.

I used to like it when Norwich Union had a call centre in India as their agents were always happy to barter. The only response I get fro UK call centre staff is "computer says no." :rolleyes:

Otto
8th November 2018, 10:01 AM
I used to like it when we had insurance brokers to do all the hard work for us! As for house insurance, I live near a mill stream which the Environment Agency has adjudged to be a "medium flood risk" so it's very difficult for me to even get a quote for insurance, never mind actual cover. Insurers go by postcode and the EA flood risk maps, but if anyone bothered to come and actually look at the local geography they would see that:
1. The stream is in quite a deep rocky channel.
2. It would have to rise about six feet to run any risk of flooding that channel.
3. My house is on the inside of a bend.
4. The opposite bank is lower and has a wall which has a gap in it to allow any flood water to escape.
5. Locals have never known it to flood and only once while I've lived here (12 years) has the level approached the level of the gap.

Not only that, if the stream flooded the main river valley would also be very heavily flooded and York would be washed away a few days later so my claim would be the least of their worries :D.

Naughty Nigel
8th November 2018, 10:21 AM
I used to like it when we had insurance brokers to do all the hard work for us! As for house insurance, I live near a mill stream which the Environment Agency has adjudged to be a "medium flood risk" so it's very difficult for me to even get a quote for insurance, never mind actual cover. Insurers go by postcode and the EA flood risk maps, but if anyone bothered to come and actually look at the local geography they would see that:
1. The stream is in quite a deep rocky channel.
2. It would have to rise about six feet to run any risk of flooding that channel.
3. My house is on the inside of a bend.
4. The opposite bank is lower and has a wall which has a gap in it to allow any flood water to escape.
5. Locals have never known it to flood and only once while I've lived here (12 years) has the level approached the level of the gap.

Not only that, if the stream flooded the main river valley would also be very heavily flooded and York would be washed away a few days later so my claim would be the least of their worries :D.

Richard, insurers have no interest in individuals or houses out in the sticks, especially if they happen to be near a mill stream. Their only interest is the mass market, for which a tickbox web page covers 99% of their business.

It may also be the case that individuals such as yourself are more resourceful than the mass market, so insurers are less likely to make an easy profit from you.

TimP
8th November 2018, 01:24 PM
If it doesn’t already happen, I wonder how long it will be before there are no insurance brokers, no employees at Insurance companies and all is handled by a computer algorithm. That would leave us with loss adjusters, which in itself could end up as another computer algorithm.
As everyone gradually loses their jobs to computers we will once again see the rise of the binmen!!

Naughty Nigel
8th November 2018, 09:39 PM
If it doesn’t already happen, I wonder how long it will be before there are no insurance brokers, no employees at Insurance companies and all is handled by a computer algorithm. That would leave us with loss adjusters, which in itself could end up as another computer algorithm.
As everyone gradually loses their jobs to computers we will once again see the rise of the binmen!!

I think that has happened already. Just try picking up the phone (if you can find a phone number on the flashy website) and ask to speak to a human being who speaks good English. :rolleyes:

Actually, the same goes for almost any web based company. Even the likes of BA are difficult to speak to, and I wouldn't even bother trying to call Cryanair.

Jim Ford
8th November 2018, 10:39 PM
I think that has happened already. Just try picking up the phone (if you can find a phone number on the flashy website) and ask to speak to a human being who speaks good English. :rolleyes:

I found Hastings Direct to be quite efficient. Both people I spoke to were obvious native English speakers. My call was also answered quickly.

Jim