PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tow a trailer or caravan?

Jim Ford
6th November 2018, 09:57 PM
I have a trailer tent that I tow. The visibility out of the rear car window is blocked by the trailer and I miss that rear view. The add-on wing mirrors don't really help much.

Has anyone experience of the rear view cameras and monitors you can use when towing? There are lots available on ebay.

Jim.

Darkroom
6th November 2018, 11:59 PM
I have a trailer tent that I tow. The visibility out of the rear car window is blocked by the trailer and I miss that rear view. The add-on wing mirrors don't really help much.

Has anyone experience of the rear view cameras and monitors you can use when towing? There are lots available on ebay.

Jim.

The ones on ebay that simulate a rear view mirror look interesting. Maybe at some point in the future they could become standard equipment on vans and other vehicles with no rear windows.

A monitor sited anywhere else could possibly be a distraction and take some time to get used to.

If the trailer already blocks the view from your rear window, you may have a problem in positioning the camera. ( on the back of the trailer ? :) )

Darkroom

OM USer
7th November 2018, 05:35 PM
The rear view cameras for parking have a very wide angle of view. Make sure you get one designed to replace the rear view mirror which will have a narrower angle of view.

I have rear a view parking camera (in fact just put in a dash cam rear view mirror replacement with rear view parking). I noticed that I need my reading glasses if I want a sharp image when it shows the rear view camera as I am focussing on something (a video) that is only a foot away from me whereas when it is in mirror mode I am okay as I am focussing on something 15 feet behind me. Luckily I don't need a sharp image for reversing but I would need one for normal driving.