PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Gibralter

sapper
27th October 2018, 08:15 AM
Off on a cruise this weekend, visiting Gibraltar. Someone told wifey that camera gear is cheaper there than the UK. Can anyone confirm that? I had a quick look for camera shops in gibraltar online but nothing concrete. I am after a Billingham bag or Oly fisheye.

Naughty Nigel
29th October 2018, 10:37 AM
Off on a cruise this weekend, visiting Gibraltar. Someone told wifey that camera gear is cheaper there than the UK. Can anyone confirm that? I had a quick look for camera shops in gibraltar online but nothing concrete. I am after a Billingham bag or Oly fisheye.

I'm not sure, but I don't think they have VAT in GIB. Likewise the Channel Isles.

Wally
29th October 2018, 05:00 PM
It seems Gibralter is VAT free. However, as such - you may possibly be required to pay VAT - when coming back into the UK? All depends which way HMC&E is looking when you arrive. ;)

Naughty Nigel
29th October 2018, 06:25 PM
It seems Gibralter is VAT free. However, as such - you may possibly be required to pay VAT - when coming back into the UK? All depends which way HMC&E is looking when you arrive. ;)

You might want to check this, but Gibraltar and the UK are still in the EU, so there is no restriction on personal imports and exports between EU countries provided that local duties, if any, are paid. It becomes more complicated where business imports and exports are concerned, especially if the goods are shipped VAT free.

The Channel Islands are different because they are outside of the EU, therefore you should declare any imports valued at more than 18 (IIRC) at the point of entry into the EU/UK and pay the required duties.