PDA

View Full Version : Potential new job in Birmingham... worth it?

Holgate
15th October 2018, 10:52 AM
Hey!

I've been offered a job within my company at our Birmingham office, and not sure if it's worth it or not. I'd be on 30,000 a year which drops to about 2,000 a month according to a salary calculator I looked at. Is this liveable in Birmingham, or would be it better to commute from Gloucester where I am now?

Hopefully by my next post I'll have some street pictures to critique... And soon after then a proper camera!

Cheers!

wornish
15th October 2018, 12:21 PM
This is a strange request for your first post on a photo forum. Ideally it should have been posted in The Lounge forum which is non photo specific, so perhaps the admins might move it.

I am sure many people manage to live in Birmingham earning the salary you have been offered. How big an increase is it from what you get now? What ties have you got to keep you in Gloucester? You need to factor all these in to the decision, which in the end only you can make.

CJJE
15th October 2018, 01:16 PM
I'd have thought the prospect of commuting on the M5 would be fairly horrendous... and depending whereabouts your office will be in Birmingham also the roads into Birmingham themselves.

You can gauge property prices from Right Move etc if you're looking to sell and buy a house. And even if you're looking to rent, that will show you how prices vary around the good and poorer areas of Birmingham.

Chris

MJ224
15th October 2018, 01:58 PM
As far as I can make out, trains between Gloucester & Birmingham take about an hour one way, and return ticket is about 26

Driving would make you batty, as you know there are a lot of batty people around...*chr

Many considerations, family, cars, the salary rise....Assume its some sort of promotion, that could make the difference..

Good luck..:confused:

Naughty Nigel
16th October 2018, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't even think about driving into Birmingham on a regular basis.

Brum has a good public transport network so you could conceivably commute in whilst continuing to enjoy living in Gloucester. A season ticket would save quite a lot on travel costs.

As cities go I quite like Birmingham but I don't know if I would like to live in it. I am sure some of the suburbs are pleasant enough. No idea about house prices though.

Wally
16th October 2018, 01:15 PM
Having worked away - shift work / local lodgings and food expenses - for the better part of 25 years, I'd be inclined to take a trial run using both personal and public transport timed for both parts of the journey... Taking the worst timings, plus a %, as a normal situation scenario.

Weather also has to be accounted for and can add considerable time to any journey, especially in the winter months where local conditions at both locations can vary greatly.

Even that far back, mid 70's until 2002, stress played it's part and can, and did take its toll on family life.

Depending on your personal circumstances / offer conditions etc., If possible, ask for a trial period. Nothing ventured - nothing gained so to speak. If you're lucky, the grass really can be greener on the other side... if not, then at least you gave it a try?

Walti
17th October 2018, 08:48 AM
Even that far back, mid 70's until 2002, stress played it's part and can, and did take its toll on family life.

And its got far worse over the last 16 years too!

DerekW
17th October 2018, 10:51 AM
It depends on the what opportunities the new job will give you, if a better chance of job satisfaction, job opportunities then it will be worth the short term discomfort of the commute until you decide to move closer to the new office.
Will the company contribute to your additional costs / house move?

Beagletorque
17th October 2018, 02:42 PM
I assume you have now got a proper camera, like a Nikon, with your first salary cheque.
M4/3 is ok for us poor retired folk to play with as they are not too heavy and the 5 axis IBS compensates for shaky hands. Best learn the ropes with a real camera while you still can.

Phill D
18th October 2018, 08:19 AM
Not sure I agree with that Beagle. The first question I always get asked by any Nikon tog I meet is, "how do you like the Olympus"? generally followed up by "I was thinking of getting something a bit lighter"!