PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Hazards Again

Harold Gough
2nd October 2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.grahamcluley.com/two-reasons-to-reconsider-your-facebook-membership/

Harold

Otto
2nd October 2018, 02:46 PM
I have never and will never let Facebook have my phone number. I reckoned that was asking for trouble and so it would appear!

Jim Ford
2nd October 2018, 03:45 PM
A few years ago I opened a FB account, simply because I could, but never used it. After a while I started getting FB messages in Russian. At first I ignored them, but then looked into it. It turned out that my FB account had been hacked. I then did a search on the name of the hacker and found numerous reports of other users also hacked by the same person. I closed my account and no longer have one.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
2nd October 2018, 08:07 PM
It is also rather worrying that many providers including utilities invite you to use your Facebook account to log in to their websites to check bills and so forth.

I have never used this facility as it always appeared 'dodgy' to me. It now seems my concerns were justified.

Keith-369
3rd October 2018, 10:50 AM
Facebook ... Never wanted, never had, never will.

It really annoys me, though, when certain sites (like 43 Rumors with their weekly readers pictures roundup ) only allow participation via Facebook or the like. So often companies, web sites, providers, automatically take it for granted that everyone is on Facebook/Twitter etc and only provide for this. Their problem of course because they miss so much business but frustrating all the same.

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2018, 11:51 AM
Facebook ... Never wanted, never had, never will.

It really annoys me, though, when certain sites (like 43 Rumors with their weekly readers pictures roundup ) only allow participation via Facebook or the like. So often companies, web sites, providers, automatically take it for granted that everyone is on Facebook/Twitter etc and only provide for this. Their problem of course because they miss so much business but frustrating all the same.

Businesses are increasingly 'hiding behind' Facebook, Twitter and clever websites to avoid any kind of meaningful interaction with the public.

This increasing impregnability and the lack of feedback form the public does nothing for customer service or product development, but the businesses in question really don't care. They know what they want to sell and as long as customers keep buying they won't listen. The iPhone without a headphone socket and laptops without USB and Ethernet sockets are classic examples.

TimP
3rd October 2018, 12:05 PM
The iPhone without a headphone socket and laptops without USB and Ethernet sockets are classic examples.

I sort of agree with this, having recently bought an older MacBook Air instead of a new MacBook Pro. No Ethernet, not a problem wireless works flawlessly. Got a std USB but not yet needed to plug anything in. My main want was for the MagSafe power connector which itís got. Give it a year or two and Iíll probably go for the MBP anyway as the Air was too limited in upgrade potential, maxing out at 512GB SSD, kinda ridiculous in 2018.
The iPhone 3.5mm is no biggy, it came with an adapter and that works on devices that have a 3.5mm socket too.

DerekW
3rd October 2018, 04:38 PM
TimP - NN does not like Apple or it's products or way of working, so trying to reason or discuss with him is a lost cause.

However he is a great resource of knowledge for ships, shipping, paint, Tony Blair's old constituency etc etc.

Me I am a Mac fan and have explored quite a few ways of exploitation of the various Mac products, my current project is to get my Mac Pro to work with Mojave - I have to buy a new graphics board, although I have seen a link that indicates that there is a way to overcome or bypass the "metal" dependancy.

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2018, 05:03 PM
TimP - NN does not like Apple or it's products or way of working, so trying to reason or discuss with him is a lost cause.

That is not entirely true Derek. I am a happy owner and user of an iPod (the most recent generation, whatever that is) and an iPad Mini. However I dislike Apple's control freakery which is a Steve Jobs legacy, and the anal way in which they limit the functionality of one overpriced device to make you buy another overpriced device. The do the same with adaptors and so forth.

For example, the MacBooks are billed as the ultimate laptop for mobile professionals, yet Apple still refuses to incorporate mobile internet (4G), expecting you to buy and tether an iPhone or iPad instead. :confused:

I accept that Apple hardware is generally well made and that the OS is stable, but this is only because Apple is so limiting in which devices you can use it with.

The day that Apple makes its OS available to all, at a price, I will reconsider my position. Until then I will play with Hackintosh! :D

Harold Gough
3rd October 2018, 05:09 PM
they limit the functionality of one overpriced device to make you buy another overpriced device.

That sounds strangely familiar. Olympus body updates?

Harold

TimP
3rd October 2018, 05:32 PM

However he is a great resource of knowledge for ships, shipping,
Shipping eh? Bet he doesnít know the name of the ship my father sailed to CuraÁao on in the 50s! Clue: MV Dr

TimP
3rd October 2018, 05:38 PM
Me I am a Mac fan and have explored quite a few ways of exploitation of the various Mac products, my current project is to get my Mac Pro to work with Mojave - I have to buy a new graphics board, although I have seen a link that indicates that there is a way to overcome or bypass the "metal" dependancy.

Me too, although I canít be arsed with all that hassle! I did it professionally for too many years and just want stuff to work without too much effort nowadays.
Mojave isnít supported on my 2010 MBP so itís been retired in favour of a newish MBA, alongside a 2012 Mini.
I canít understand how ( and itís mainly IT people) people are so polarized against Apple, citing expensive etc, yet the same people drive top of the range German cars.
I guess Iím an oddity, having been in IT since the 70s

TimP
3rd October 2018, 05:43 PM
The day that Apple makes its OS available to all, at a price, I will reconsider my position. Until then I will play with Hackintosh! :D

That will be the day the garden wall comes down and all the supposed security goes out of the window. Itís available for free to all Apple kit owners right now as an upgrade although my 8.5 yr old laptop just misses out.

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2018, 07:51 PM
Shipping eh? Bet he doesnít know the name of the ship my father sailed to CuraÁao on in the 50s! Clue: MV Dr

I don't I'm afraid, but then in my defence it was well before my time. :)

TimP
3rd October 2018, 08:00 PM
I don't I'm afraid, but then in my defence it was well before my time. :)

Well thereís no point in my follow up question about what colour it was painted then!

It was long before my time but Iíve found out the name!

:)

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2018, 08:05 PM
Well thereís no point in my follow up question about what colour it was painted then!

It was long before my time but Iíve found out the name!

:)

Probably white I would imagine, with red or yellow on the funnels? :)

Jim Ford
3rd October 2018, 08:07 PM
I canít understand how ( and itís mainly IT people) people are so polarized against Apple, citing expensive etc, yet the same people drive top of the range German cars.

Apple products are expensive and lock you into their system. I object to that. There's a lot of truth in the saying that Apple users buy into a religion. A lot of people buy Apple products because "They're the best" and when questioned simply restate it.

Jim

TimP
3rd October 2018, 08:07 PM
Damn! Bluff called. I never could get on with black and white photos!

TimP
3rd October 2018, 08:12 PM
Apple products are expensive and lock you into their system. I object to that. There's a lot of truth in the saying that Apple users buy into a religion. A lot of people buy Apple products because "They're the best" and when questioned simply restate it.

Jim
But Iím not locked into any system, I could move all my stuff (back) to Windows should I so desire. Iíd never say they were the best either, in the same way Iíd never say MS was the best, or any flavor of Linux, or the Tories or Labour. All have some good and some bad points. I choose Apple because, for me, it has less bad points than others, plus itís all very shiny.....mmmmm...shiny!

Jim Ford
3rd October 2018, 08:43 PM
I choose Apple because, for me, it has less bad points than others, plus itís all very shiny.....mmmmm...shiny!

There you are - religion!

;)

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2018, 09:09 PM

Jim

Hear hear! *yes

TimP
4th October 2018, 07:52 AM

;)

Jim

And real too!

Naughty Nigel
4th October 2018, 08:01 AM

;)

Jim

I would say more of a cult, which is not the same thing and can be dangerous.

Harold Gough
4th October 2018, 08:28 AM
I would say more of a cult, which is not the same thing and can be dangerous.

Mass-burning potential?:)

Harold