PDA

View Full Version : BMW drivers won't like this - or maybe they won't care!

Zuiko
1st October 2018, 09:35 AM
Spotted on facebook, just had to share! :D

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Screenshot_386_.jpg

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2018, 11:02 AM
There are many pointless features on BMW cars, including the SatNav. Why would BMW drivers need a SatNav when "they know where they are going"?

However, I am told BMW SatNavs can only find Coventry or Castle Bromwich on very dark, clear, moonlit nights. :(

Beagletorque
1st October 2018, 12:06 PM
It does save money on bulbs at mot time too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wally
1st October 2018, 06:28 PM
I've often wondered why we seem to buy so many BMW's and now I know the why? It has nothing to do with looking affluent and or being successful. We are simply doing our bit as good neighbours to help keep this one person in a job. ;)

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2018, 06:54 PM
I've often wondered why we seem to buy so many BMW's and now I know the why? It has nothing to do with looking affluent and or being successful. We are simply doing our bit as good neighbours to help keep this one person in a job. ;)

I don't think I could ever be arrogant enough to drive a BMW. In any case they have become so common there is no point.

I did draw the short straw once when hiring a car from Bremen airport and ended up with a 530, rather than the Astra/Golf that I had ordered. I really do not get why people are so obsessed by BMW cars and was only too pleased to return home to my own car.

Anyhow my wife isn't a blonde and doesn't wear sunglasses on her head 247 so we wouldn't qualify. :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham
1st October 2018, 07:44 PM
I drove a lot of multi-colour BMWs back in 2012, and didn’t really find them that comfortable. I have also driven the M3 on a track and again was not that impressed.

I have to admit that I really liked the cruse controls and the way the near side mirror dips when reversing, so you can see the curb better.

Wee man
1st October 2018, 07:58 PM
People seem not to understand that the plastic indicators come as standard on these cars. They are the company's way of helping with national employment.

It is also not generally known that the bulbs and switches are optional extras.

Bulbs are generally on back order and are usually never taken up by the owners as they do not see the need for them.
As has been said the drivers know where they are going and in their minds it is not the business of anyone else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pdk42
1st October 2018, 08:20 PM
Here's a pic of my car. E-M1ii + 40-150.

http://www.famillekaye.com/EM250100_1024.jpg

What's more:

- The indicators work
- My wife is neither blonde nor wears sunglasses 24/7
- The seats are comfortable
- All bulbs work
- I'm not (overly) arrogant :)
- The SatNav works
- I don't always know where I'm going

I've had lots of cars over the years (many company cars) and have driven most brands. This is my fourth BMW. I like them because:

- They are not expensive as a total ownership package. Servicing is very reasonable
- They have great engines - almost the last manufacturer making 6-cyl petrol engines. The last doing straight sixes
- They are rear wheel drive and handle well as a driver's car
- They are reliable (in my experience)
- They are nicely equipped and well screwed together
- There is a good network of dealerships, most of which know what they're doing
- They don't cheat on diesel emissions
- They are not French
- They are not all driven by arrogant sh1ts - that's what they make Audis for ;)

Jim Ford
1st October 2018, 08:35 PM
But it's blue Paul - Blue! 'Real Men' drive Red cars!

;)

Jim

Greytop
1st October 2018, 08:41 PM
Here's a pic of mine :D
Pen-F and 12-40
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1960/45039133131_b4d47aaed9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bBXk98)Touring (https://flic.kr/p/2bBXk98) by Huw Prosser (https://www.flickr.com/photos/130838020@N04/), on Flickr

I kind of agree with Paul....

except the bit about Audis, my wife drives one of those ;)

pdk42
1st October 2018, 08:44 PM
But it's blue Paul - Blue! 'Real Men' drive Red cars!

;)

Jim

Interestingly, this is a blue that BMW call "Estoril Blue". It's a very tricky colour to represent accurately in photographs. In this case the E-M1ii nailed it perfectly.

pdk42
1st October 2018, 08:46 PM

I admit to having an (old) Audi too *crazy

pdk42
1st October 2018, 08:47 PM
Here's a pic of mine :D
Pen-F and 12-40
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1960/45039133131_b4d47aaed9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bBXk98)
Touring (https://flic.kr/p/2bBXk98) by Huw Prosser (https://www.flickr.com/photos/130838020@N04/), on Flickr

Very nice Hew. What's the engine in it?

Greytop
1st October 2018, 08:56 PM
Very nice Hew. What's the engine in it?

Nothing special Paul it's a 320d, very economical as I tend to do a reasonable amount of miles. I've recently dumped the company car in favour of a car allowance and this made the most sense, though I was slightly tempted to go for a 330d :)

Looks like your's is a petrol?

pdk42
1st October 2018, 09:08 PM
Nothing special Paul it's a 320d, very economical as I tend to do a reasonable amount of miles. I've recently dumped the company car in favour of a car allowance and this made the most sense, though I was slightly tempted to go for a 330d :)

Looks like your's is a petrol?

Yeah - it's the 335i. Not hugely economical but it's just such a nice sound! My annual mileage isn't too high these days so I'm OK with it.

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2018, 09:33 PM
- They are not all driven by arrogant sh1ts - that's what they make Audis for ;)

It used to be the other way round. :)

Interestingly, this is a blue that BMW call "Estoril Blue". It's a very tricky colour to represent accurately in photographs. In this case the E-M1ii nailed it perfectly.

Blues are often difficult to reproduce photographically. The appearance of blues tends to be very dependent on the amount of infra red light reflected; which is why phone cameras and others with poor or non-existent infra red filtration often reproduce blues badly.

Blues also tend to lose gloss and chalk sooner than most other shades (with the notable exception of reds). The reasons for this are not entirely clear but absorption of and reaction with ultraviolet light is one very good reason.

Greytop
1st October 2018, 09:39 PM
Yeah - it's the 335i. Not hugely economical but it's just such a nice sound! My annual mileage isn't too high these days so I'm OK with it.

Very nice Paul, a straight six is a lovely sound, especially a petrol.

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2018, 10:01 PM
Blues are often difficult to reproduce photographically. The appearance of blues tends to be very dependent on the amount of infra red light reflected; which is why phone cameras and others with poor or non-existent infra red filtration often reproduce blues badly.

To add to the above, it is interesting to shine the TV remote at your camera to test whether and how it 'sees' the flashes of infra red light given off.

My phone camera sees the light from our zapper as a bright green, rather like night vision glasses, whereas my EM's see it as pink. This obviously affects how colours are reproduced where infra red light is involved.

Standard colour cabinets (used for colour matching) include IR and UV lamps. We cannot see the light these lamps give off but it has a significant effect on our perception of colours.

drmarkf
1st October 2018, 10:30 PM
Mine's a 2011 Space Grey 330D M-sport Touring, which I prefer driving to photographing...

My third M-sport BMW, all bought second-hand at 3-5 years of age and kept for 5-6+ years. I love the taut, high-castor feel of the steering and the superb seats, which are BMW characteristics. I know it's risking catastrophe saying this, but beyond routine service replacements & the occasional blown bulb I've never had anything more serious go wrong with any of them beyond a failed headlamp washer.

Comparable Mercs are soft as saggy old armchairs while the Audis are rock hard and aggravate my lumbar discs. I tried hard to like a Jag last time, but it actually broke down on my test drive.

Very sensible collection of vehicles owned up to so far by forum members.

However, I'm sure that tired old BMW no-indicator line will get spun many more times yet. About time for something more original IMHO *yes

MJ224
2nd October 2018, 06:17 AM
Something about German cars...……….

Did have a 5 cylinder petrol Audi Quattro many years ago. Went like the wind, but the door handles kept falling off...…………

Perversely tend to go with Jap cars now...…….:(

TimP
2nd October 2018, 07:29 AM
BMW indicators? Here’s my take:

I’ve owned two new Minis in recent years and the indicator stalk / function is totally different to any other car I have ever driven (many company cars, lots of high mileages)
There is a click stop /detent position but it’s not as obvious as any others and there is a tendency to manually cancel the indicator as a result, this often has the effect of causing it to indicate the other way, so you manually cancel and guess what! (The process restarts) Hence I can see why a driver would find it easier to not indicate rather than suffer the alternative. Maybe it’s just Minis but it’s certainly a pain and like I said, different to any other car I’ve owned/driven. Be interesting to hear from ‘proper’ BMW drivers.

Zuiko
2nd October 2018, 08:13 AM

http://www.famillekaye.com/EM250100_1024.jpg

What's more:

- The indicators work
- My wife is neither blonde nor wears sunglasses 24/7
- The seats are comfortable
- All bulbs work
- I'm not (overly) arrogant :)
- The SatNav works
- I don't always know where I'm going

I've had lots of cars over the years (many company cars) and have driven most brands. This is my fourth BMW. I like them because:

- They are not expensive as a total ownership package. Servicing is very reasonable
- They have great engines - almost the last manufacturer making 6-cyl petrol engines. The last doing straight sixes
- They are rear wheel drive and handle well as a driver's car
- They are reliable (in my experience)
- They are nicely equipped and well screwed together
- There is a good network of dealerships, most of which know what they're doing
- They don't cheat on diesel emissions
- They are not French

Sorry Paul, I knew I would offend someone but I just couldn't resist! :)

drmarkf
2nd October 2018, 08:14 AM
BMW indicators? Here’s my take:

I’ve owned two new Minis in recent years and the indicator stalk / function is totally different to any other car I have ever driven (many company cars, lots of high mileages)
There is a click stop /detent position but it’s not as obvious as any others and there is a tendency to manually cancel the indicator as a result, this often has the effect of causing it to indicate the other way, so you manually cancel and guess what! (The process restarts) Hence I can see why a driver would find it easier to not indicate rather than suffer the alternative. Maybe it’s just Minis but it’s certainly a pain and like I said, different to any other car I’ve owned/driven. Be interesting to hear from ‘proper’ BMW drivers.

Interesting.
I've driven a couple of hire-car Minis, and they just felt like smaller versions of the 3-series (I did find them very joggly on poor roads, though).

Maybe because I've owned 3 consecutively for c. 16 years and they share a strong family resemblance throughout, I've never had that problem. I guess I've just got used to it.

About the only indicator issue I can report is that sometimes it feels as though the auto-cancelling needs a big corrective turn of the wheel to be triggered, so the indicator goes on a little longer than if I was doing it manually. This has been a common feature on my 328i, 530i and now 330D.

Returning to drive the car yesterday after 3 weeks away I've noticed the interior fan is making a slight rattle on firm braking - probably a worn bearing, although it might be an alignment problem, I suppose.
It's due for a service in November so I'll get it seen to then: so, for full disclosure, I'll have to add that to one headlamp washer failure in 16 years!

The 6-cylinder models have better reported reliability than the 4-cylinders: the smaller engines had a widely hyped problem with marginal valve gear lubrication some years ago. They rattled quietly for a couple of thousand miles, then valves suddenly started hitting pistons...

I believe these are the commonest 2-litre engines used in production saloon cars in Europe (so, no, Damien, your 3-series isn't 'exclusive', regardless of what the marketing guys try to make you believe!), so even an extremely low failure rate got tossed around the forums because it resulted in quite a few blow-ups. It's long been fixed now, of course, but like self-starting Toyotas the mud does stick for a while.

The problem was compounded because the necessary components are at the rear of the engine for some daft reason, and so curing it even at the 'slight rattle' stage was a toe-curlingly expensive, engine-out job.

Talking to my independent BMW servicing guy (I've used him for the past 16 years) he says this was almost always seen in high-mileage cars where the service intervals for oil changes had been pushed. I've never believed even top modern oils can cope with 20,000 miles between changes, and I've always had mine changed annually.

TimP
2nd October 2018, 08:23 AM
Interesting.
I've driven a couple of hire-car Minis, and they just felt like smaller versions of the 3-series (I did find them very joggly on poor roads, though).

Maybe because I've owned 3 consecutively for c. 16 years and they share a strong family resemblance throughout, I've never had that problem. I guess I've just got used to it.

About the only indicator issue I can report is that sometimes it feels as though the auto-cancelling needs a big corrective turn of the wheel to be triggered, so the indicator goes on a little longer than if I was doing it manually. This has been a common feature on my 328i, 530i and now 330D.

This. In the situation you describe I find myself (wife does it too) manually canceling what the car hasn’t and this in turn sets off the ‘indicate left -doh! indicate right - doh! doh! etc!
I’ve not got used to it in over nine years though. No other family car does it either (caveat, none are BMWs)

MikeOxon
2nd October 2018, 09:04 AM
The joke used to be that Audis had no off switch for the fog lights.

Well, it actually happened to me! The switch was on the back of the main light switch, operated by a pull action. Mine became loose, so that the plunger was always in the 'on' position :)

TimP
2nd October 2018, 09:59 AM
Don’t get me started on fog lights!!

Oh, you have.

Fronts, utterly useless
Rears, only ever need to be on if you’re the last in a line of cars or obviously the only car. Turn ‘em off when you have a car behind you and you can clearly see it.

And as for the wuckfits who put ‘em on and leave ‘em on even if the fog they’ve driven through is in fact some idiot vaping by the roadside........

Harold Gough
2nd October 2018, 10:35 AM

You kept the licence plate sharp. :eek: You do realise that "BMW" stands for "break my windows"?

Harold

Harold Gough
2nd October 2018, 10:39 AM
Something about German cars...……….

Did have a 5 cylinder petrol Audi Quattro many years ago. Went like the wind, but the door handles kept falling off...…………

You were supposed to keep them highly polished to reduce drag.:D

Harold

Gate Keeper
2nd October 2018, 10:44 AM
I admit to having an (old) Audi too *crazy

BMW/Audi Germany reliability. A mate drives an M4 and I can remember when he was a kid, he had to be the first one through the farm gate on his tricycle. I guess he has never stopped loving the speed :)

Wally
2nd October 2018, 11:18 AM
My only comment with regards to German cars is, that I've owned two. An Opel Record when in Kuwait and a VW Golf Mk1 in the UK, both from new. Sorry to say they were the worst cars I have ever owned. They each spent more time in the garage than they did on the road.

It would be fair to say that they have obviously upped their quality with regards to build and, I can only hope their after-sales has also improved.

TimP
2nd October 2018, 11:45 AM
Had an Audi TT back in 2003-5, great little car.

Naughty Nigel
2nd October 2018, 11:56 AM
There is a click stop /detent position but it’s not as obvious as any others and there is a tendency to manually cancel the indicator as a result, this often has the effect of causing it to indicate the other way, so you manually cancel and guess what! (The process restarts) Hence I can see why a driver would find it easier to not indicate rather than suffer the alternative.

Vauxhall cars use a very similar system, which makes it very easy to indicate the wrong way when trying to cancel the wretched things!

The answer is to indicate the same way again which cancels the indicators, but if you leave it too long you get three more flashes. :rolleyes:

It's OK when you get used to it. However, the dip/main switch on the indictor stalk is the easiest I have ever used.

I think the idea is that everything is relay controlled so everything is cancelled when you switch the car off including the rear fog lights (for Tim's benefit). :)

TimP
2nd October 2018, 12:46 PM
For me it’s the mechanical feel of the indicator stalk that’s the problem.
I forgot to add that sometimes when trying to stop the seemingly random indicating it’s easy to push the stalk a little too far and end up flashing the high beams, just to add to the annoyance of it all!

Otto
2nd October 2018, 03:30 PM
Back in the 70s my mate's dad's best mate owned a 3.0l BMW and laughed at my mate's dad when he bought a Daimler Sovereign (badge engineered Jaguar XJ6), making the usual jokes about needing two so that one will always be available etc etc. His BMW spent more time in the garage than on the road while the Daimler needed nothing other than routine servicing. About the same time my parents' neighbour finally bought the Mercedes he'd coveted for years and had a similar experience. He sold it within a year and bought a Vauxhall Carlton. I had a BMW 525i rental car briefly when my company Vauxhall was off the road after somebody ran into the back of it. The seats were like boards, the engine had an annoying whine, and the back end slid around like a python on speed. That was the one and only German car I've ever had. The Germans (apart from the Bavarians) call BMWs "Bayerische Mist Wagens" :).

I've had five Saabs precisely because they were not BMWs or Mercedes and all but the last were pretty good. That last was a 9-5 Aero which had too much GM content which used to wear out frequently (brake discs and the like). Clarkson wrote a piece once about advertising people being able to tell all sorts of things about you given the car you drive, unless it was a Saab in which case they wouldn't have a clue!

DerekW
2nd October 2018, 03:39 PM
WE had a series of SAABs starting in 1971 with a 96, then a 99, a series of 900s getting more power and then a 900 GM and finally two 9-5 estates- the last on was sold in 2015. There was only one one manufacturer left on the choice table after that - a Chinese owned, built in Belgium originally designed in conjunction with Ford with a 5 cylinder boat engine (ish) and now being built in the lannd where they know how to design cars (as well as 'Blads)

Otto
2nd October 2018, 03:58 PM
I had a dilemma when it was time to part with the 9-5 until I happened to watch a Channel 4 documentary sponsored by the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, a car which had flown completely beneath my radar. After some investigation I took the plunge and am now on my second; both have been very reliable and are fun to drive - and easy to find in the car park because it's unlikely there'll be another one there! The Saab 9000 had been designed in conjunction with Fiat and Alfa Romeo so I felt there was enough of a connection :).

Jim Ford
2nd October 2018, 04:45 PM
Had an Audi TT back in 2003-5, great little car.

Same engine as my Skoda Octavia vRS. Sporty performance with a huge boot.

Jim

Greytop
2nd October 2018, 06:19 PM
Seems that cars can be as emotive as cameras *yes:D

Jim Ford
2nd October 2018, 06:28 PM

We're blokes - you see!

;)

Jim

TimP
2nd October 2018, 07:11 PM

Jim

Mine was the 225BHP coupe version, huge boot too, cos the two rear seats were utterly pointless.

Naughty Nigel
2nd October 2018, 07:33 PM
Seeing as we are fessing up about cars I thought a bit of 90's retro was in order with some history.

I tend to buy cars that are high spec and a year or so old and then keep them for as long as possible, or until they start getting expensive to maintain.

Back in the year 2000 I urgently needed a new car to replace my ageing 2.0 litre Cavalier but didn't like much of what I saw on the forecourts within the price that I was prepared to pay. I had resigned myself to buying a new Vectra which pained me greatly, but I really needed a new car!

Anyhow, I drove to our local Vauxhall main agent not feeling terribly enthusiastic, but what should I see as I drove onto the forecourt was this: the Dealer Principal's car, nine months old with 8,000 miles on the clock and ostensibly used for demonstration purposes. The price ticket was £14,999 which was about £4,000 less than the Vectra that I had resigned myself to. It was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned.

Enter the Silver Ghost as she became known. :)

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129951.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129850.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129832.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129776.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129762.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129783.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129800.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P4129748.jpg

It all looks very dated now but it was a superb and very comfortable car which I owned for just over ten years in total and apart from its appetite for brake disks I had very few problems.

Sadly the replacement model (the Signum) never really appealed to me so I had to find another rear wheel drive car with the same or greater power, better fuel consumption (not at all difficult in this case) which was comfortable and ideally not German badged.

(The Omega was of course German built and at the time was a direct competitor to similar BMW and Mercedes models.)

I should add that these photographs were taken when the car was eleven years old so she had remained in remarkably good condition.

Oh, and photographs taken with my E1 of course for true retro. *yes

Harold Gough
2nd October 2018, 07:51 PM

Count me out. I have never felt attached to a car, or referred to one as "she". The only emotion I have shown took the form of expletives.

Harold

pdk42
2nd October 2018, 08:56 PM

Jim

Not necessarily - some TTs had the 3.2 v6. Mine has:)

Greytop
2nd October 2018, 09:02 PM
Count me out. I have never felt attached to a car, or referred to one as "she". The only emotion I have shown took the form of expletives.

Harold

Car problems then Harold?

Jim Ford
2nd October 2018, 09:05 PM
Not necessarily - some TTs had the 3.2 v6. Mine has:)

The early TTs had the 1.8, 5 valve, OHC, injection, turbo AIRC.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
2nd October 2018, 09:06 PM

Harold

We have names for ours, all female apart from 'the Jaaag' of course. *yes

Harold Gough
3rd October 2018, 06:25 AM
Car problems then Harold?

I have owned a number of cars since the mid 1960s. All have had problems. Reliability had improved over the following couple of decades. The least troublesome were Datsuns and Cavaliers. The post-millenium ones have so much over-sophisticated crap built in that there is an updated selection of things to go wrong, mostly not for the non-specialist to fix.

Harold

TimP
3rd October 2018, 06:51 AM
I had half a dozen or so Cavaliers over the years, great cars in hindsight, don’t recall any issues and I probably drove well in excess of 500k miles in them in total.
Often envious of manager types driving BMWs though, less so one particular salesman who had an early Saab Turbo.

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 06:50 AM
It isn't just BMW drivers though....

https://www.facebook.com/itvanglia/videos/491664434663701/UzpfSTE1Njg1MTA0NDM6MTAyMTY3NTk0NTIzMjk4NDM/

TimP
5th October 2018, 06:57 AM
It isn't just BMW drivers though....

https://www.facebook.com/itvanglia/videos/491664434663701/UzpfSTE1Njg1MTA0NDM6MTAyMTY3NTk0NTIzMjk4NDM/

It might be me, but I can never understand why anyone with even half a small brain would think it a good idea to ‘jump’ a level crossing. We’ve had deaths locally where pedestrians have avoided the barriers and been killed, then the railway companies (or Railtrack, I guess) get blamed for dangerous / killer crossings. What happened to personal responsibilities here?? It’s a railway line, it has huge, heavy, fast kit on it, it’s going clang clang clang (apologies for Americanising it!) and someone thinks it’s OK to ignore those brutal facts.
I blame iPods!!

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 07:12 AM
It might be me, but I can never understand why anyone with even half a small brain would think it a good idea to ‘jump’ a level crossing. We’ve had deaths locally where pedestrians have avoided the barriers and been killed, then the railway companies (or Railtrack, I guess) get blamed for dangerous / killer crossings. What happened to personal responsibilities here?? It’s a railway line, it has huge, heavy, fast kit on it, it’s going clang clang clang (apologies for Americanising it!) and someone thinks it’s OK to ignore those brutal facts.
I blame iPods!!

Getting hit by any train at any speed is likely to be terminal. The effects on the train driver must also be devastating, and there is absolutely nothing they can do.

I don't think iPods are entirely to blame though. I think we have become so obsessed with our own lives and the need to be here, there and everywhere else at the same time that blindingly obvious risks such as crossing railway lines are somehow seen as less of a danger than not making it to a vital sales meeting or coffee morning. :(

Fatalities to pedestrians crossing railways lines are another matter. We might think we can run across the line in time but trains somehow arrive much more quickly and quietly than we expect or are used to. How many roads do we cross where the traffic routinely moves at up to 140 MPH?

TimP
5th October 2018, 07:17 AM
I guess you’re right about the speed of trains but locally nothing goes at anything like 140. I remember as a kid we used to walk up the railway line to get from A to B and you could feel a train approaching long before you could see it because the rails would sing, that would be the time to nip down the embankment until the train had passed.

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 07:44 AM
Happy days eh? You could hear the clackety clack of the wheels over the rail joints in those days too although continuously welded track was becoming widespread by the late 1960's.

Class 395's operating out of St Pancras have a maximum speed of 140 MPH, but they use the Eurostar line so I doubt that there will be any crossings or pedestrian access. I haven't seen any myself anyhow.

But the ECML and GWR have an abundance of crossings, and trains there routinely operate at 125 MPH and even a bit over. I have measured 132 MPH GPS speed on an HST more than once!

TimP
5th October 2018, 07:47 AM
You mentioned the undeniable effect on the driver in these cases, trying to eliminate the guards job can’t help should anything like this happen. Say the driver was incapacitated and there was no guard - how does anyone think it’s a good idea. Back to short term profit once again it seems.

Wally
5th October 2018, 09:53 AM
What does the future hold? *shrug

AI - already in cars, road based public transport and HGV's. Put the same into trains, boats and planes and prepare to be an extra in a real-life Terminator armageddon environment.

:eek: NEWS FLASH! World being held to ransom by self-build robotic hacker. *yes

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 09:59 AM
And then there is the invincible cyclist who won't stop for anything or anyone!

https://www.facebook.com/BearValleyCompany/videos/556505818124801/

TimP
5th October 2018, 10:29 AM
Cyclists too are guilty of iPod use, how anyone can think they are safe when riding anyway, let alone shutting themselves off from the outside world by wearing ear buds is beyond me, perhaps that approach has led to me being so frickin’ old!

MJ224
5th October 2018, 10:33 AM
I guess you’re right about the speed of trains but locally nothing goes at anything like 140. I remember as a kid we used to walk up the railway line to get from A to B and you could feel a train approaching long before you could see it because the rails would sing, that would be the time to nip down the embankment until the train had passed.

We used to put pennies on the rail lines, sheer stupidity I know, but as a 12 year old one did not see the down side of that action...………..squash.....:confused:

TimP
5th October 2018, 11:37 AM
We used to put pennies on the rail lines, sheer stupidity I know, but as a 12 year old one did not see the down side of that action...………..squash.....:confused:

Did exactly that too, I can remember hiding out under the local railway halt, waiting for the train (steam) to arrive and then popping a penny under the wheels ready for it to roll off. Dangerous, undoubtedly but I think we had a lot more idea of what was really dangerous back then and acted accordingly.
What could possibly go wrong with emptying all those fireworks into one massive pile and introducing a match to it all.........

Keith-369
5th October 2018, 11:39 AM
Cyclists too are guilty of iPod use, how anyone can think they are safe when riding anyway, let alone shutting themselves off from the outside world by wearing ear buds is beyond me, perhaps that approach has led to me being so frickin’ old!

I've seen car drivers with earbuds in ... and even one or two with full headphones on. Stupid or what :eek:

TimP
5th October 2018, 11:41 AM
I've seen car drivers with earbuds in ... and even one or two with full headphones on. Stupid or what :eek:

Yes, seen it too and agree. I also think wearing a hoodie when driving (hood up obviously!) should also be made illegal, too much side vision is lost and I’ve seen it where you turn your head and the hood just stays still so you end up looking at cloth!

Wally
5th October 2018, 12:04 PM
Having read the posts after my AI comment, perhaps all is not lost? Artificial or not, it has to better than none at all. *yes

Jim Ford
5th October 2018, 12:57 PM

No point in making it illegal though - there's nobody to enforce it!

Jim

TimP
5th October 2018, 01:02 PM
Very true. You hear stories of burglary victims not even getting a visit from the police, yet if someone upsets someone on Twitter they’ll find the resources to stamp on that!

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 01:05 PM
You are more likely to get locked up for speeding than burglary these days, and you only need to do it once.

But if you do it in a stolen car whilst out of your tree on drugs you'll not even get a fine. :rolleyes:

shenstone
5th October 2018, 05:42 PM
I also tend to keep my cars a long time

My Last Grand Vitara just missed getting to the moon (which is 238,000 Miles away) in terms of mileage

My local dealer started referring to as Apollo and telling the rest of their customers about it

It was a sad day when the gearbox went and it was not economic to repair.. so the next day I bought another .. 11K on the clock at 3 years old *chr

Regards
Andy

TimP
5th October 2018, 05:45 PM
It was a sad day when the gearbox went and it was not economic to repair.. so the next day I bought another .. 11K on the clock at 3 years old *chr

Regards
Andy

Well that’s not getting to the moon anytime soon at that rate!

shenstone
5th October 2018, 05:59 PM
Time will tell ...

It's already up to 41K and I intend to keep it for another decade :)

probably the biggest reason it would not is retirement - that will save me something like 250 miles a week

Harold Gough
5th October 2018, 06:06 PM
My local dealer started referring to as Apollo and telling the rest of their customers about it

13?

Harold