PDA

View Full Version : D.i.d.

Jim Ford
30th September 2018, 12:11 PM
I switched the radio on for Desert Island Discs today, expecting to hear the honeyed tones of Kirsty Young, but instead got Laura Laverne - a Geordie - a 'Scotsman with their brains kicked out' Geordie !

Does the BBC have no standards anymore!

;)

Jim

DerekW
30th September 2018, 12:17 PM
Keep up - this change was talked about weeks ago -

TimP
30th September 2018, 12:35 PM
Yes, do keep up. Lauren Laverne is standing in for the lovely Kirsty while she recovers from something!

Jim Ford
30th September 2018, 12:54 PM
Keep up - this change was talked about weeks ago -

Yeah - I did know that, but had to wait before I made a 'sarky' comment!

;)

Jim

TimP
30th September 2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah - I did know that, but had to wait before I made a 'sarky' comment!

;)

Jim

Why wait? I don’t!

Ronel100
30th September 2018, 06:35 PM
She is from Sunderland, so technically a 'Mackem' and not a Geordie !

Despite, or because of, my regional bias I think she did OK. Will get used to her
ways hopefully.

Roger

Naughty Nigel
30th September 2018, 08:05 PM
She is from Sunderland, so technically a 'Mackem' and not a Geordie !

Despite, or because of, my regional bias I think she did OK. Will get used to her
ways hopefully.

Roger

A 'Mackem' - so not to be trusted!

Didn't we have problems with them siding with the Scots 400 or so years ago? ;)

Wally
30th September 2018, 08:15 PM
I remember when working at the shipyard in Sunderland in the mid 80's, being asked if I were a Makem or a Takem? When I replied % $ & is one of those... I was told that as I was a Jock... I was OK? *yes

To this day, I'm still none the wiser... probably just as well as I'm still trying to find out what 'Hinny' means? :confused:

There are times when ignorance can be a blessing in disguise. ;)

Naughty Nigel
30th September 2018, 09:02 PM
I remember when working at the shipyard in Sunderland in the mid 80's, being asked if I were a Makem or a Takem? When I replied % $ & is one of those... I was told that as I was a Jock... I was OK? *yes

To this day, I'm still none the wiser... probably just as well as I'm still trying to find out what 'Hinny' means? :confused:

There are times when ignorance can be a blessing in disguise. ;)

As I understand it the Tackems’ were the shipbuilders of Tyneside who took Sunderland-built ships and fitted them with engines in the Tyneside yards. That was probably long before the Sunderland built Doxford engines became almost ubiquitous on merchant ships.

The term Mackem (or Mac n’ tac) is thought to have originated as a jibe about Sunderland shipbuilders who in the 19th centrury were reputed to 'make' rather than 'build' ships,

Did you know that in 1835, when Lloyd’s Registry was instituted "Sunderland was not found worthy to claim any exemption from the rule that ‘no ship built north of Yarmouth should have a classification of more than ten years.”?

The following is an excerpt from a Guardian article which gives a slightly different take.

Why Mackems and Geordies?

The derivations are uncertain, but both have theories based in historical political allegiances. 'Geordie' because of Tyneside's staunch support of the Hanoverian King George II during the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion - 'Geordie' is a common diminutive of 'George'; and Mackem because of Wearside's accommodation of the Scottish 'Blue Mac' army during the civil war.

It is more likely, however, that the origins stem from aspects of the shipbuilding and coalmining industries. The Tyneside coalminers preferred George Stephenson's 'Geordie' safety lamp over the more widely used Humphry Davy lamp. And it has been accepted almost universally that Mackem is derived from the phrase Mak(e)'em and Tak(e)'em, coined by Tyneside shipbuilders to insult their counterparts on the River Wear, who would build the ships and have them taken away by the richer classes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/23/newsstory.sport

OM USer
1st October 2018, 11:54 AM
I haven't tuned in to Laura yet but I knew sge was going to be on.