PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Carriers

sapper
21st September 2018, 07:46 AM
I have an iMac which will be going on the auction site soon, but i need to find a reliable carrier, any recommendations?

Naughty Nigel
21st September 2018, 08:53 AM
Parcel Force are as good as any in my experience, and are readily accessible via the Post Office.

Many of the big commercial couriers such as UPS won't deal with private users.

I would avoid My Herpes like the plague.

Otto
21st September 2018, 08:59 AM
Seconded ParcelForce. I used them for several years for business deliveries and they were very reliable.

MJ224
21st September 2018, 09:04 AM
I would avoid My Herpes like the plague.

Definitely doing that...…...:eek:

But another vote for Parcel Force...….

TimP
21st September 2018, 01:45 PM
What’s the spec of the iMac?

sapper
21st September 2018, 09:30 PM
What’s the spec of the iMac?

iMac 27' Late 2009, 2.66Ghz corei5. 16GB RAM.

TimP
22nd September 2018, 06:10 AM
iMac 27' Late 2009, 2.66Ghz corei5. 16GB RAM.

Thanks. I’m afraid 27in is too big for my office/den. If it had been a 24in it might have worked. Thanks for the info, good luck selling.
BTW 27’ wouldn’t even fit in the house!

Gate Keeper
22nd September 2018, 07:48 AM
Last year I sent by registered delivery a Nikon DSLR camera with its lenses to Ontario using Parcel Force and the buyer paid all costs. It arrived at its destination undamaged.

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 12:47 PM
I should have added, if you really want to use My Herpes look in Yellow Pages under 'Destructive Testing'. :D

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 12:54 PM
This is well worth watching too (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-45599292)

Now I know how my suitcases and their contents get ruined. Most airlines charge for this 'service' too. :mad:

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 05:31 PM
Just to give you a laugh our son received some hard disks that he had ordered from eBay via My Herpes today.

Just have a look to see what they were wrapped in, and they didn't look very clean! *ipop *ipop

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42288365_10216667437029518_5149172549564760064_o.j pg?_nc_cat=108&oh=d0a470e061f422d913a8790138feb41d&oe=5C190BF1

TimP
22nd September 2018, 06:15 PM
This is well worth watching too (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-45599292)

Now I know how my suitcases and their contents get ruined. Most airlines charge for this 'service' too. :mad:

Is that the video of the idiot at Manchester where all the bags fall out the back of the trolley? That guy should be sacked on the spot, I hope he has been by now. What a worthless piece of sh1t.

TimP
22nd September 2018, 06:17 PM
That packaging looks more suitable for floppies!

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 06:26 PM
Is that the video of the idiot at Manchester where all the bags fall out the back of the trolley? That guy should be sacked on the spot, I hope he has been by now. What a worthless piece of sh1t.

Well, a few years ago I was forced to send my laptop as hold baggage on a return journey after the attempted shoe-bomb attack. In fact all hand baggage was banned including mobile phones.

Despite my protestations I was given three choices:

Send the laptop as hold baggage;

Put it in the bin now;

Don't travel.

It was wrecked. The airline denied any responsibility because I shouldn't have sent a laptop as hold baggage and that I should get in touch with the CAA. My travel insurance refused to pay out because delicate items should not be sent as hold baggage. The CAA responded that I shouldn't have taken a laptop knowing that the only option was to send it as hold baggage. (I was on a return journey.) There was no time to arrange alternative transport for it.

I was not alone. Thousands of other passengers suffered similar problems. You would have thought that knowing this the baggage handlers might have taken more care, or that the airlines would provide suitable packaging, but no. Illegitimi. :mad:

Gate Keeper
22nd September 2018, 07:14 PM
Well, a few years ago I was forced to send my laptop as hold baggage on a return journey after the attempted shoe-bomb attack. In fact all hand baggage was banned including mobile phones.

Despite my protestations I was given three choices:

Send the laptop as hold baggage;

Put it in the bin now;

Don't travel.

It was wrecked. The airline denied any responsibility because I shouldn't have sent a laptop as hold baggage and that I should get in touch with the CAA. My travel insurance refused to pay out because delicate items should not be sent as hold baggage. The CAA responded that I shouldn't have taken a laptop knowing that the only option was to send it as hold baggage. (I was on a return journey.) There was no time to arrange alternative transport for it.

I was not alone. Thousands of other passengers suffered similar problems. You would have thought that knowing this the baggage handlers might have taken more care, or that the airlines would provide suitable packaging, but no. Illegitimi. :mad:

Nigel, a shocking and disappointing experience for you! Commiserations.
On a flight to Nassau, work related (foreign office) my luggage never arrived. The airline wanted receipts for the contents. No proof of receipts, no pay out. I was in the Bahamas for a week and I was stuffed. I flew out with a child Psychiatrist. His bags arrived, so he was okay.

Here is a video warning against using zipped luggage.......
https://youtu.be/wpIJVWXsBBI

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 08:50 PM
Nigel, a shocking and disappointing experience for you! Commiserations.
On a flight to Nassau, work related (foreign office) my luggage never arrived. The airline wanted receipts for the contents. No proof of receipts, no pay out. I was in the Bahamas for a week and I was stuffed. I flew out with a child Psychiatrist. His bags arrived, so he was okay.

Here is a video warning against using zipped luggage.......
https://youtu.be/wpIJVWXsBBI

That is scary! :(

Naughty Nigel
22nd September 2018, 08:58 PM
Interestingly I had a brand new bag destroyed on an internal flight from Exeter to Newcastle. The bag was wet when it arrived on the conveyor at Newcastle (the weather was dry), and there were tyre marks on the bag consistent with it having been run over. (Having seen the first video I think I now know how.)

Anyhow, the airline bluntly refused to pay a penny quoting their T's & C's and maintaining that they could not be held responsible for handling baggage and that I should claim on my travel insurance. I then reminded them that this was not a free service, and that they had charged me £40 each way to take my bags, therefore they had a duty of care to take all reasonable steps to handle them properly. I received a cheque for the full cost within a matter of days!

stevewestern
23rd September 2018, 08:15 AM
I was invited to stay at a friend's stately home so packed my smartest clothes and flew easyjet to Edinburgh straight from work (I'm in the building trade) . My bag got lost, so I spent the week feeling under-dressed. Weeks later a bag was returned to me, full of womens clothes (none fitted me) and a name and address tag. I contacted the owner and we arranged for her to get them back. I ended up with £30 compensation but did get a big hug from a very happy and attractive young lady!

sapper
23rd September 2018, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the stories. Parcel force is the only recommendation so far, any more?

DerekW
24th September 2018, 05:42 PM
If you still have the shipping box the iMac was delivered to you in then it should be perfectly OK for most competent shipping companies

Naughty Nigel
24th September 2018, 06:54 PM
If you still have the shipping box the iMac was delivered to you in then it should be perfectly OK for most competent shipping companies

Competent? That seems to be a big ask for some of them. :rolleyes:

TimP
25th September 2018, 11:42 AM
Yeah, in my experience give Yodel a wide berth.

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 09:04 AM
I had to go onto the Royal Mail website to track a shipment this morning, and was prompted to complete one of those wretched Captcha things to prove that I wasn't a robot. :(

"Click the boxes with vehicles in" it said. And what was that vehicle? A big, brown UPS delivery van. :D

Well done Royal Mail. :rolleyes:

MJ224
5th October 2018, 09:12 AM
Definitely doing that...…...:eek:

But another vote for Parcel Force...….

Just recently sent a parcel via Royal Mail, Special Delivery.

Their tracking system lost it, but the parcel was delivered...:)

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 09:27 AM
Just recently sent a parcel via Royal Mail, Special Delivery.

Their tracking system lost it, but the parcel was delivered...:)

The package I was tracking was sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery yesterday afternoon. It was received at 08.19 this morning!

Its just a shame the girlie in the buying office gave their office address rather than the address where the shipment was actually needed before 09.00 this morning! :rolleyes:

MJ224
5th October 2018, 10:34 AM
The package I was tracking was sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery yesterday afternoon. It was received at 08.19 this morning!

Its just a shame the girlie in the buying office gave their office address rather than the address where the shipment was actually needed before 09.00 this morning! :rolleyes:

did it get there in the 41 minutes grace???*chr

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 10:40 AM
did it get there in the 41 minutes grace???*chr

'Fraid not. A journey or 150 miles including the A1M, M25 and M3 would take a little longer than that, especially at 08.30 on a drizzly Friday morning.

Bring Back Red Star Parcels Express. That was a fantastic service, and was much, much quicker than any other carrier.

Rebecca
5th October 2018, 11:15 AM
Every so often, I place an order for fish and seafood from a company in Grimsby. On the latest occcasion, UPS sent the parcel 100 miles further south and then returned it to the sender. The second attempt with a replacement order was mysteriously canceled by UPS half way through the journey and returned to the sender. This resulted in over £200 of chilled and frozen seafood being returned to the sender after 48 hours and possibly ruined if defrosted.

The third attempt at delivery was made by Fedex and arrived in perfect condition within the quoted delivery time slot.

The automated notification system used by UPS managed to send me a total of 14 emails, the majority of which were total rubbish.

Don't get me started on the subject of Hermes.

In my experience, DPD is the best service on the planet with their tracking system showing exactly where their driver is in real time and giving your delivery time almost to the minute.

As in all things you only get what you pay for which is why Hermes and UPS are completely utter, total rubbish companies.

Rebecca

Shaw
5th October 2018, 11:16 AM
I used to use Royal Mail to send printed matter to a client in Dorset, but last year, twice, on checking the tracking, the message 'delivered to wrong delivery depot' or words to that effect appeared, resulting in late delivery. Since then I have used DPD with no problem so far.

TimP
5th October 2018, 11:29 AM
Bring Back Red Star Parcels Express. That was a fantastic service, and was much, much quicker than any other carrier.

Agreed, excellent. When I was a field service engineer we used to rely on them, fantastically useful service. You’d think it would be a money spinner now too, although I guess with no guards on board then there would be no one to keep an eye on them or drop them off at the correct stations. Madness really.

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 02:16 PM
Agreed, excellent. When I was a field service engineer we used to rely on them, fantastically useful service. You’d think it would be a money spinner now too, although I guess with no guards on board then there would be no one to keep an eye on them or drop them off at the correct stations. Madness really.

Privatisation effectively finished off Red Star because parcels needed to be transferred between private operators, but you would think it could still operate on (say) the ECML, WCML or GWR.

Many modern trains no longer have a 'Guard's Van' either. Classes 43 and 91 still have a sizeable space for carrying small freight items but the Voyagers only have space for a couple of bicycles.

There is talk of converting redundant Class 43's (HST's) and Mk 3 carriages for light freight use when they come off lease in a few years time. Transporting parcels between cities at 125 MPH would give the operators a huge competitive advantage over rival road vehicle based companies.

TimP
5th October 2018, 02:23 PM
Transporting parcels between cities at 125 MPH would give the operators a huge competitive advantage over rival road vehicle based companies.

You’ve never encountered ‘white van man’ then!

Shame more use isn’t made of the railways for freight nowadays, it’d be good to get back to their original purpose.

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 02:28 PM
You’ve never encountered ‘white van man’ then!

Shame more use isn’t made of the railways for freight nowadays, it’d be good to get back to their original purpose.

But train drivers can do 125 MPH legally, and without crashing!

Mind you, I was driving home up the A1M in North Yorkshire last night, and the speed of some of the vans overtaking was frightening. Several of them must have been well into three figures, and one of them undertook on the slow lane. I cannot imagine a Transit van loaded with whatever stops that quickly either.

Jim Ford
5th October 2018, 04:11 PM
Mind you, I was driving home up the A1M in North Yorkshire last night, and the speed of some of the vans overtaking was frightening. Several of them must have been well into three figures, and one of them undertook on the slow lane. I cannot imagine a Transit van loaded with whatever stops that quickly either.

They also seem to be immune from prosecution.

I've said before that motorway lanes are:

Lane 1: HGVs doing 60mph
Lane 2: HGVs overtaking those in lane 1 at a speed differential of 0.5mph
Lane 3: White vans doing 90+ mph.

Jim

TimP
5th October 2018, 04:16 PM
Not a very comprehensive list I’m afraid Jim as there seems to be no crossover from the BMW thread!

Naughty Nigel
5th October 2018, 04:18 PM
Not a very comprehensive list I’m afraid Jim as there seems to be no crossover from the BMW thread!

They and Audi's undertake using the Hard Shoulder.

TimP
5th October 2018, 04:19 PM
Hard shoulder? Lane 0 surely.