PDA

View Full Version : Good Insurance Service

Harold Gough
3rd September 2018, 09:49 AM
With any insurance, I have always been aware of needing enough cover but not too much.

With house contents insurance, items covered by "all risks", which you take away from home, need to be specified if above a certain value.

It is the same with photographic insurance. For about 20 years I have had cover from Glover & Howe (one claim). A few years ago I initiated a review of which lenses and cameras really needed all risk cover and I saved some money.

This morning, for the first time ever, when I phoned to pay my annual premium I was asked (they initiated it) if I wanted such a review of my cover. We went through my expensive lenses on the policy and removed several from the all risk cover, as they never leave these premises. I saved nearly £60 on the revised premium.

I have had semi-pro cover (covers equipment locked in a car) until now but have been moved to full professional at no additional cost

Harold

TimP
3rd September 2018, 11:21 AM
Interesting. I’ve never even thought about separate cover over and above household contents.
Could you give an idea of cost because surely if you’ve save £60 then what on earth is the total premium?
I’ve assumed, probably wrongly that holiday insurance would cover loss or damage when on holiday and as mentioned, household contents for all other times. Only once have I claimed for camera gear and that was 30 plus years ago when I dropped camera body and lens when changing lenses up a Romanian mountain!

Harold Gough
3rd September 2018, 11:45 AM
Interesting. Iíve never even thought about separate cover over and above household contents.
Could you give an idea of cost because surely if youíve save £60 then what on earth is the total premium?
Iíve assumed, probably wrongly that holiday insurance would cover loss or damage when on holiday and as mentioned, household contents for all other times. Only once have I claimed for camera gear and that was 30 plus years ago when I dropped camera body and lens when changing lenses up a Romanian mountain!

Holiday insurance is likely to have a quite low limit per individual item.

I have some lenses which are

a) Expensive (from about £900 to £2,000 to £3,000 to replace).

b) Usually legacy and very difficult to source (e.g. Printing-Nikkors).

Camera bodies are also covered.

Cover is for direct replacement, not cash to settle any losses.

My PC is included in the cover.

My premium was £295 before adjustment downwards. That doesn't help you as, say one camera body, and two or three lenses would cost a lot less.

As with any other cover, shop around. It costs nothing to get a quote.

Be warned, you may get cover easily enough but, in the event of a claim, you need evidence that you owned the item.

Any claim will require you to pay the first £50, or whatever. You can often negotiate to make that higher and reduce your premium.

Harold