PDA

View Full Version : Age Survey

wornish
23rd August 2018, 04:26 PM
The age of people contributing to discussion on threads here has been raised a few times. So here is an anonymous survey to get a view.

TimP
23rd August 2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how.

Naughty Nigel
23rd August 2018, 05:55 PM
Interesting so far.

The question is, are we older and wiser? :)

TimP
23rd August 2018, 05:59 PM
The 6 results so far certainly indicate ‘older’. As far as ‘wiser’ is concerned, I think the jury is out.

Wally
23rd August 2018, 06:00 PM
... The question is, are we older and wiser? :)

:confused: Can I phone a friend?

TimP
23rd August 2018, 06:04 PM
:confused: Can I phone a friend?

If you’re older then you’ll certainly have to switch your phone on first!

shenstone
23rd August 2018, 07:58 PM
I'm just going to add a phrase once told to me

"You're only as old as the woman (or man) that you hold"

I'm not letting on the wife's age either :)

Wally
23rd August 2018, 08:25 PM
... I'm not letting on the wife's age either :)

*yes I've pushed the envelope many times and on this point, I'm behind you 100% with emphasis on 'behind you'. ;)

Even at my age, I'm still too young to die.

Harold Gough
23rd August 2018, 08:43 PM
The age of people contributing to discussion on threads here has been raised a few times. So here is an anonymous survey to get a view.

Actual age or mental age? :D

Harold

TimP
23rd August 2018, 08:48 PM
Mental age? Can we have a “Below 20” then please.

Walti
23rd August 2018, 08:57 PM
Mental age? Can we have a “Below 20” then please.

20? 15 surely!

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd August 2018, 09:16 PM
Starting to look a lot like the age profile of the camera/photography clubs I visit.

Jim Ford
24th August 2018, 10:41 AM
It's occurred to me that there are many on this forum that could be described as 'men of advancing years', and I suspect many may have age related health issues.

Men are notoriously reluctant to acknowledge a potential health problem. Does anybody agree with me that we could useful to have a heath related thread where problems could be discussed and group support or advice given.

I for one am quite happy to state that I have a benign enlarged prostate and discuss the my diagnosis and treatment (such as it is).

There could be an anonymous poll at the top of the thread, with a list of aliments - arthritis, enlarged prostate, hearing loss, etc..

Is this a good idea, anyone?

Jim

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 10:50 AM
Is this a good idea, anyone?

Jim

I think that is a really good idea Jim and I would be happy to contribute to it myself.

DerekW
24th August 2018, 10:56 AM
Not a good idea for the Forum, a good idea for another forum. eg Dadsnet.
If on this forum it would identify the forum like a urine smelling old folks lounge with plastic lined chairs, high backed chairs with lots of old blokes talking at each other.

The current forum is a bit of a mens shed that welcomes "the ladies"

TimP
24th August 2018, 11:00 AM
It's occurred to me that there are many on this forum that could be described as 'men of advancing years', and I suspect many may have age related health issues.

I for one am quite happy to state that I have a benign enlarged prostate and discuss the my diagnosis and treatment

Particularly good timing given recent news reports of prostate reduction therapy. I’m currently looking for beta testers of a new product I’m planning to release to market in the near future. The more testers the better!
(I wonder if this’ll get me a ban?)

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 11:01 AM
I don't mind if they want to discuss breast sizes Derek. :D

TimP
24th August 2018, 11:01 AM
Not a good idea for the Forum, a good idea for another forum. eg Dadsnet.
If on this forum it would identify the forum like a urine smelling old folks lounge with plastic lined chairs, high backed chairs with lots of old blokes talking at each other.

Have you been to one of the meet ups then?

Harold Gough
24th August 2018, 11:41 AM
I'm happy with that and don't forget hypertension. (Nothing to do with the last two minutes of an Ebay auction :D).

Harold

TimP
24th August 2018, 12:14 PM
How about knackered knees and knuckle joints becoming strangely ‘lumpier’?

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 12:18 PM
What were we talking about again? :confused:

Ricoh
24th August 2018, 12:48 PM
I think this is ageism, why no entry selection for those 100+ ?

RobEW
24th August 2018, 02:06 PM
Nice to feel I'm in the younger category, in this context at least.

Olympus really ought to look into usability issues if we're representative of their customer base. As we age, we encounter more and more usability challenges due to sensory changes (eyesight, hearing, tactile sensitivity), physiomotor changes (e.g. reduced digital dexterity), cognitive changes - including reduced working memory, slower responses to stimuli and changes to our preferred / most effective learning styles, and other psychological changes - e.g. discomfort with modern interfaces, fear of breaking things, difficulty with visual search and scan etc.

DerekW
24th August 2018, 02:15 PM
Olympus does help me overcome an Essential Tremor that I often have, I can get away with reasonably sharp night time pictures thanks to the highish ISO and Image Stability function.

Jim Ford
24th August 2018, 02:28 PM

Olympus really ought to look into usability issues if we're representative of their customer base. As we age, we encounter more and more usability challenges due to sensory changes (eyesight, hearing, tactile sensitivity), physiomotor changes (e.g. reduced digital dexterity), cognitive changes - including reduced working memory, slower responses to stimuli and changes to our preferred / most effective learning styles, and other psychological changes - e.g. discomfort with modern interfaces, fear of breaking things, difficulty with visual search and scan etc.

As with most right handed people, my right eye is the dominant eye. I used to use it for camera eyepieces, microscopes, telescopes, watchmakers eyeglasses and rifle shooting. Now the right eye has age related wet macular degeneration, I now need to use my left eye, which was always weaker. I can't use my left eye for the eyeglass, because it doesn't stay in my eye socket. I'm not sure why!

Jim

Ricoh
24th August 2018, 03:27 PM

They could start by bringing out the long awaited CP version, and maybe sponsor a whole platoon. ;)

Harold Gough
24th August 2018, 03:49 PM

Earlier this week, out on a nature reserve, I suddenly realised that I didn't have my small shoulder bag, which contained little more than a drink a waterproof and my phone. I take off my various bags and backpack when I have serious bit of macro to do but I couldn't think where I had done so. I went on a lengthy trek to where it was most likely I had done so but it was not there.

When I got home, my wife told me I had left it behind. There it was, next to the front door, ready to be loaded into the car. I hadn't helped that it is in camouflage pattern.

On a similar tack: bleepers that respond to a whistle are available for key rings so, until Olympus builds one in, perhaps such a key ring clipped into the camera strap link could help with the "now, where did I put my camera down?" situation.

Harold

Wally
24th August 2018, 04:36 PM
I'm quite happy with my white stick and my souped-up wheelchair. In my second childhood I can be a knight in slightly tarnished armour, a red indian on the warpath with a lance or even speeding down Route 66 with the U J rippling in the breeze ... let's see what new adventures tomorrow brings? ;)

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 05:51 PM
...or even speeding down Route 66 with the U J rippling in the breeze ... ;)

Route 66, or maybe the A66? ;)

Zuiko
24th August 2018, 07:27 PM
I think this is ageism, why no entry selection for those 100+ ?

Because they are all on the film forums! :D

Zuiko
24th August 2018, 07:30 PM
Olympus does help me overcome an Essential Tremor that I often have, I can get away with reasonably sharp night time pictures thanks to the highish ISO and Image Stability function.

I'm waiting for 15 stop IBIS. :rolleyes:

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 08:04 PM
Because they are all on the film forums! :D

No I don't think so John; film and especially B&W film is considered 'chic' these days and is becoming increasingly popular with the young, I am pleased to say.

Ricoh
24th August 2018, 08:43 PM
No I don't think so John; film and especially B&W film is considered 'chic' these days and is becoming increasingly popular with the young, I am pleased to say.
They are also of the opinion that digital is dead.

Or at least lifeless.

Naughty Nigel
24th August 2018, 08:51 PM
They are also of the opinion that digital is dead.

Or at least lifeless.

Yes they are; and film sales are growing steadily.

Zuiko
25th August 2018, 03:13 PM

Hehe, I was being mischievous. My 19 year old daughter loves using film. :D

Jim Ford
25th August 2018, 04:01 PM
Digital is the future and will only improve. Film has stagnated and only a past!

Jim

Ricoh
25th August 2018, 06:40 PM
As someone commented recently on another forum, film is dead only to those who choose not to use it.

Perhaps the motion picture business is behind the times too. They still use it, don't they.

Digital on the other hand won't die for some time, it's far too sterile; no chance of that. But we can't foretell too far ahead, can we, given the uncertainty of the quantum way.

Naughty Nigel
25th August 2018, 10:06 PM
Hehe, I was being mischievous. My 19 year old daughter loves using film. :D

Oddly enough I bought a new vinyl LP record today for the first time in well over thirty years. I commented about this to the assistant who served me. He said 'vinyl is massive now; its coming back in a big way like camera film, especially with the young'.

I hadn't even mentioned photography which made it an even more interesting comment.

Digital is the future and will only improve. Film has stagnated and only a past!

Jim

I would agree that digital is the future for mainstream use, but I sense that film is filling an increasingly large niche in the market. Ironically this niche has been created by digital photography.

I am not sure I would agree about film stagnating though. Some recent films, such as Kodak Ektar 100 are truly superb, whilst Kodak and Ilford continue to make some very nice B&W emulsions. Thankfully most of the awful emulsions bought by the masses in the pre-digital era have now fallen by the wayside.

If we look back twenty years the cost of photographic hardware meant that most of us were using 35 mm SLR's, severely limiting the image quality achievable. However, the current ready availability of professional medium format film cameras means that even without improvements in film technology amateurs are able to achieve image quality that would have been unthinkable back then.

MJ224
25th August 2018, 11:12 PM
Gordon Bennett. Are we that old.

Best hide the poll, we won't have any new blood for years...……….:confused:

Ricoh
25th August 2018, 11:55 PM

Jim

Maybe it's a question for Benice: https://emulsive.org/articles/dear-benice/emulsives-agony-aunt-dear-benice-1-how-can-i-let-people-know-im-still-shooting-film

Kami
26th August 2018, 11:05 AM
Hahahahaha - you OLD FOSSILS !

Oh, hang on - you're talking HUMAN years, aren't you ... I'm a dog:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog

Rebecca
26th August 2018, 11:30 AM

Really ? ;)

Rebecca

Ian
26th August 2018, 11:36 AM
Really ? ;)

Rebecca

Welcome to the site, Rebecca! :)

Ian

Harold Gough
26th August 2018, 11:38 AM

It could turn out to be an exit poll! :(

Harold

Wally
26th August 2018, 11:49 AM
Really ? ;) Rebecca

:tup Another welcome to the forum.

Note: To Admin.

I think we need another age group added ... old enough to vote - under 21's *yes

Rebecca
26th August 2018, 11:50 AM

Ian

Cheers Ian. After reading all of the above, I'm just browsing ebay for zimmer frames, blue rinse wigs and incontinence accessories so I won't feel out of place in the forum :rolleyes:

Rebecca

TimP
26th August 2018, 11:53 AM
Don’t bother searching EBay, just ask the irregulars on here for best place for bargains.

Kami
26th August 2018, 12:01 PM
I find sleeping on an old rug by the back door helps with most of my bladder problems, at least as far as my owner is concerned.

MJ224
26th August 2018, 01:14 PM
Cheers Ian. After reading all of the above, I'm just browsing ebay for zimmer frames, blue rinse wigs and incontinence accessories so I won't feel out of place in the forum :rolleyes:

Rebecca

Ouch, that hurts...……...*chr

TimP
26th August 2018, 01:16 PM
Ouch, that hurts...……...*chr

Most things do at our age!

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2018, 01:17 PM

Rebecca

Now here's a thought. Maybe there is an opportunity for the Zimmer frame with tripod-like mounts for Olympus cameras? :D

Harold Gough
26th August 2018, 01:41 PM

Ian

Welcome.

There are other ladies here but most of the time they, sensibly, keep their heads down.:)

Harold

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2018, 03:32 PM
Welcome.

There are other ladies here but most of the time they, sensibly, keep their heads down.:)

Harold

Yes. Whatever happened to Chevvy or whatever her profile name was? She used to be on here a lot but I haven't seen her for a while. :confused:

Rebecca
26th August 2018, 04:00 PM
Welcome.

Harold

Gosh ! Total newbie and slap on the wrists or veiled warning after only 2 comments ? Do I need to reconsider my membership ? :confused:

Rebecca

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2018, 04:09 PM
Gosh ! Total newbie and slap on the wrists or veiled warning after only 2 comments ? Do I need to reconsider my membership ? :confused:

Rebecca

Oh no. Present company accepted! :)

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Harold Gough
26th August 2018, 05:12 PM

Rebecca

No! Much of the banter (I think that's a fair description) in the wider forum is probably not considered to be worth their participation. That is a shame, because their contribution in e.g. the "Doomed" Brexit string would be of interest.

Harold

Rebecca
26th August 2018, 09:39 PM
Oh no. Present company accepted! :)

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Thank you Nigel. I hope so too.

Rebecca

MJ224
27th August 2018, 08:00 AM

Rebecca

Don't thing any of the comments were a slap on the wrist. Just an (odd) sense of humour.

Really look forward to seeing you photos, we have a monthly Challenge going so a dramatic photo would be good to enter, or a Landscape next month.

You have a good camera there, what lens is attached?

*chr*chr

Jim Ford
27th August 2018, 09:22 AM
Don't thing any of the comments were a slap on the wrist. Just an (odd) sense of humour.

Yeah - a lot of us on here have that! I'm reminded of a 'warning' on another site* - "May contain nuts!".

*The sadly now defunct 'Wild About Britain', which was by far the best wildlife related site on the Web.

Jim

Zuiko
28th August 2018, 12:33 PM

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, I see you have found your way to the Lounge. As you have noticed, this part of the Forum at least is mainly populated by members who are a composite of Grumpy Old Men, Men Behaving Badly, Last of the Summer Wine and Til Death Us Do Part.

Don't be put off by Harold, it is just his sense of humour - he's harmless really!

Naughty Nigel
28th August 2018, 12:37 PM
Hi Rebecca, I see you have found your way to the Lounge. As you have noticed, this part of the Forum at least is mainly populated by members who are a composite of Grumpy Old Men, Men Behaving Badly, Last of the Summer Wine and Til Death Us Do Part.

Don't be put off by Harold, it is just his sense of humour - he's harmless really!

Not so much of the 'old' if you don't mind John. :)

Zuiko
28th August 2018, 12:41 PM
Not so much of the 'old' if you don't mind John. :)

I did say "mainly." :D

Kami
28th August 2018, 06:31 PM
Less than 10% of the membership less than 55 ?
Including one canine in that "less than 10%" ?
"OLD" is probably apt :-P

(I was once on a bus and the child said "How tall is that building ?"
"Maybe twenty storeys"
"Wow ! Daddy's forty-one")

Rebecca
28th August 2018, 07:09 PM

I don't mind if they want to discuss breast sizes Derek. :D

My understanding of the male viewpoint is: " Size doesn't count"

Maybe the Ladies in the "shed" should start a poll of their own, relating to male size comparisons, just to keep things non-sexist and equal of course :)

Rebecca

shenstone
28th August 2018, 08:03 PM
Maybe the Ladies in the "shed" should start a poll of their own, relating to male size comparisons, just to keep things non-sexist and equal of course :)

Rebecca

I'd be happy if you did I'm not keen on the mysoginistic style of some of the posting and not proud of my gender and age range here sometimes

Regards
Andy

TimP
28th August 2018, 08:09 PM
Mines got smaller as I’ve aged. I never had the biggest but it was still quite hefty in the hand.

Yes, I definitely like the size of my EM1-ii’s with the Panny 100-400 compared with the much heavier Canon 7Dii and 100-400 L ii.

Jim Ford
28th August 2018, 10:07 PM
I hope the women (not 'girls' or 'ladies') on this site aren't discouraged by thinking the Lounge is a men only forum. I'm married with two daughters, have a female partner with three daughters, so I'm surrounded by women. My experience is that they can all 'mix it' with the best in male company. (My eldest daughter is an Aikido 4th dan black belt and can apply pressure to a point on my arm that makes it ache for days! My youngest daughter is scarier still - she has a tongue like a samurai sword and can cut my 6ft 4" down to size!)

Jim

TimP
29th August 2018, 08:05 AM
I hope the women (not 'girls' or 'ladies') on this site aren't discouraged by thinking the Lounge is a men only forum. I'm married with two daughters, have a female partner with three daughters, so I'm surrounded by women. My experience is that they can all 'mix it' with the best in male company. (My eldest daughter is an Aikido 4th dan black belt and can apply pressure to a point on my arm that makes it ache for days! My youngest daughter is scarier still - she has a tongue like a samurai sword and can cut my 6ft 4" down to size!)

Jim

Dear lord Jim! If only we’d realised, we’d have been gentler on you, you poor soul. I guess you must come here to escape!:)

Life is like that, there’s always someone worse off that yourself.

Naughty Nigel
29th August 2018, 08:11 AM
My youngest daughter is scarier still - she has a tongue like a samurai sword and can cut my 6ft 4" down to size!)

Jim

I know the feeling. I wonder where they get the training from? ;)

Rebecca
29th August 2018, 01:47 PM
I know the feeling. I wonder where they get the training from? ;)

Probably from their highly experienced Mums. :)

Rebecca

Harold Gough
29th August 2018, 01:54 PM
Probably from their highly experienced Mums. :)

Rebecca

That's what we thought Nigel was implying. Men's intuition! :D

Harold

Rebecca
29th August 2018, 02:14 PM
That's what we thought Nigel was implying. Men's intuition! :D

Harold

I had worked that out Harold *yes I just thought the intuition needed confirmation by someone more qualified. :)

Rebecca

Naughty Nigel
29th August 2018, 02:16 PM
I had worked that out Harold *yes I just thought the intuition needed confirmation by someone more qualified. :)

Rebecca

I misread that as 'institution' first time around. :D

Rebecca
29th August 2018, 02:23 PM
I misread that as 'institution' first time around. :D

Freudian slip ?

Rebecca