PDA

View Full Version : Paris

Crazy Dave
22nd August 2018, 11:21 AM
I’m under gentle but effective pressure to take SWMBO to Paris for a short break and to be honest, I’d quite like to go, with camera of course.

We are not interested in the obvious like the Louvre, Pompidou Centre, etc, etc but the quirky and interesting (and photogenic). I’ve been a few times on business trips and would appreciate any tips, good sources of information, etc, etc. I’ve found a book written by someone called Messy Nessy, looks good but photographers’ tips are what I’m looking for. I like shooting people, I think I could have phrased that better. Thanks

David

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd August 2018, 01:13 PM
Try the “musee d'orsay” it’s an old railway station that has been converted and has far fewer people and some interesting architectural features.

Zuiko
22nd August 2018, 01:30 PM
I've always wanted to photograph the Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris.

drmarkf
22nd August 2018, 06:17 PM
Yes, I'd endorse both of those. There's a bus that runs from the centre of town out to the cemetery - can't remember the number, but it'll be covered on Google.

Bearing in mind I'm mainly a street photographer on such trips (and I did a street photography workshop in Paris last year) here are some further less-obvious personal recommendations in no particular order:

rue St Honoré - loads of snazzy boutiques and fashionable people to photograph.

The Palais Royal (stripey art installation in the courtyard) and the gardens north of it.

Galerie Vivienne and the other gorgeous arcades with old shops and arty floors and ceilings in the area - https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museum-monument/100272/Galerie-Vivienne and https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/mar/02/paris-hidden-passages-shopping-shops

Walk the Canal St Martin - here's one of many online guides: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/travel-paris-by-foot-a-walkers-guide-canal-st-martin-1462746.html and other ideas there: https://www.discoverwalks.com/blog/things-near-canal-saint-martin/

They play boules under the trees in the Place Dauphine on the western end of the Isle de la Cite.

From outside the Musee d'Orsay walk north-west along the south bank of the Seine (nice views, bridges, cafes etc etc) until you feel like crossing to the north side of the river to one of the metro stations (e.g. Concorde or Champs Elysees-Clemenceau) back to where you need to go.

Should do for a start...

Crazy Dave
23rd August 2018, 06:54 AM
Thank you all for the very helpful tips. Mark, the suggestions are fine, what I do is a mix of street and portraiture and what you propose is very apt. I’m also going to visit the MEPHISTO mega store on Avenue du General Leclerc. Have been wearing their shoes for 25 years, they are great for pavement pounding.

David

Naughty Nigel
23rd August 2018, 09:10 AM
Top of my list would be hearing Daniel Roth playing the great Cavaillé-Coll organ of Notra Dame. *yes

OM USer
30th August 2018, 08:17 PM
Is there still an "artists quarter" at Montmartre? Some time ago I picked up a very nice painting from a local artist at a very reasonable price.

Naughty Nigel
31st August 2018, 09:31 PM
The Paris Metro system is quite good but not very pleasant, and much more difficult to find your way round than the London Underground.

From my own personal experience I wouldn't recommend that either of your travel on it alone, except perhaps at busy times. Walking the streets of Paris is much more enjoyable.

DerekW
1st September 2018, 09:53 AM
The Paris Metro map does not show the actual relationship between stations. (The Tube maps in London are equally confusing).

It can be most disappointing to have spent several minutes transferring between lines to get to a destination and then to get up to the street and see the sign for the station you transferred from just down the street - only a few minutes walk away.

If you use the buses you see the sights, on the Metro you only see the people.

drmarkf
1st September 2018, 11:50 AM
About safety on the Metro: I think physical assault or mugging is very rare, certainly in normal tourist areas and even at night. Probably you're overall a lot physically safer than on London's Tube when Millwall supporters are on the move...

However, pickpocketing is an entirely different matter. Last year when standing up on a jam-packed Metro train at evening rush hour I was surprised to find a hand touching mine inside my trouser pocket. The grubby, old little Frenchman nonchalantly looking out of the window behind me was quite surprised when the heel of my size 9 hiking boot bearing my full 14st landed on his instep a couple of seconds later, and the wounded gasp and speedy wriggle away through the door was very satisfying.

I recommend trousers with zipped pockets for all your valuables, and also zip clips or something similar on all your bag closures.

The same goes for any city travel, of course, but European capitals are magnets for professionals, much more accomplished than the sad little bu@@er who tried it on me. I've had attempts on the Stockholm and Madrid undergrounds (both foiled by internal trouser pocket zips).

They open standard zips, buttons and velcro on bags in an instant without you being aware (Pacsafe bags all have extra zip security, or add microcarabiners to other bags yourself).

Naughty Nigel
1st September 2018, 06:35 PM
About safety on the Metro: I think physical assault or mugging is very rare, certainly in normal tourist areas and even at night. Probably you're overall a lot physically safer than on London's Tube when Millwall supporters are on the move...

However, pickpocketing is an entirely different matter. Last year when standing up on a jam-packed Metro train at evening rush hour I was surprised to find a hand touching mine inside my trouser pocket. The grubby, old little Frenchman nonchalantly looking out of the window behind me was quite surprised when the heel of my size 9 hiking boot bearing my full 14st landed on his instep a couple of seconds later, and the wounded gasp and speedy wriggle away through the door was very satisfying.

I recommend trousers with zipped pockets for all your valuables, and also zip clips or something similar on all your bag closures.

The same goes for any city travel, of course, but European capitals are magnets for professionals, much more accomplished than the sad little bu@@er who tried it on me. I've had attempts on the Stockholm and Madrid undergrounds (both foiled by internal trouser pocket zips).

They open standard zips, buttons and velcro on bags in an instant without you being aware (Pacsafe bags all have extra zip security, or add microcarabiners to other bags yourself).

Hmm. Not too sure about that. I made the mistake of asking for directions from a well-dressed 'local' lady of African descent on a Sunday afternoon (when trying to cross the city from Paris Nord to Paris Montpellier stations). It didn't help that one of the tube lines was closed for several months and there were no directions to point travellers in the right direction.

Anyhow, having invited me to go with her in entirely the wrong direction she started demanding money and creating a scene as if I had tried to assault her or suchlike. I didn't enjoy that at all.

Thankfully I met up with an English traveller who was heading in the same direction and who suggested tat we walk the rest of the journey from there.

drmarkf
1st September 2018, 08:38 PM
Sounds fun, Nigel :D
I think your life was reasonably safe, though!

Naughty Nigel
1st September 2018, 08:42 PM
Sounds fun, Nigel :D
I think your life was reasonably safe, though!

That depends on whether she was alone.

I have travelled a great deal in my life but I did not feel comfortable on the Paris Metro. I cannot say more than that.

MJ224
2nd September 2018, 08:03 AM
I get very uneasy in any city. Even Swansea. Gimme the country any day.

Your Paris encounter sounds horrendous. What do you do...……….???:confused:

Jim Ford
3rd September 2018, 08:50 AM
A facial tic starts when I see or hear 'Carmarthen'!

My partner and I were camping on the Gower some years ago. After a few days I started looking at the map to see what new places we could visit. We went to the botanical gardens and Weobley Castle, which were great. I then saw the town of Carmarthen and said "There's a castle there, let's visit it". As we approached the town I said "We should see the signpost to it soon!". As we got nearer still I said "I can't understand why it's not signposted, but we should soon catch sight of it - it's a huge, famous castle!".

We got into the outskirts of the town and I felt the frustration building up and said to my partner "What's the matter with this place - why aren't there any signposts to the castle?". We then stopped outside a police station and I said to the desk officer "Where's the castle then?" He replied "Well, we do have a castle, it's down by the waterfront". I said "But it's a huge King Edward 1st castle, why isn't it signposted?". The officer then said "Caernarfon!", to which I replied "Carmarthon!". He then said it again, with emphasis "Caernarfon!".

With a groan, it then dawned on me! I said to the officer "What am I going to tell my partner?" He replied "Tell her we sold it to the Yanks!". We never did visit Caernarfon Castle.

(The memory has brought on the facial tic again!)

Jim

drmarkf
3rd September 2018, 09:04 AM
Yeah. I'm told the same thing happens regularly over Leeds Castle (lovely moated fortress in...

...Kent).

MJ224
3rd September 2018, 09:18 AM
You missed the Carmarthen Castle then. Its in the town centre or nearly. Not much of it left, but has been tidied up totally. Really just a walk thru...…..

Another day perhaps...…..*chr

Naughty Nigel
3rd September 2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah. I'm told the same thing happens regularly over Leeds Castle (lovely moated fortress in...

...Kent).

I believe there is an old fort near to Croydon too.

The locals refer to it as Fort-Neaf. ;)

Jim Ford
3rd September 2018, 03:49 PM
You missed the Carmarthen Castle then. Its in the town centre or nearly. Not much of it left, but has been tidied up totally. Really just a walk thru...…..

Another day perhaps...…..*chr

Probably not - too embarrassing memory.

The thing was, I went waltzing into the police station all cock-a-hoop, intending to teach the locals a bit about better publicity for their castle, but emerged thoroughly chastened 5 mins later!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd September 2018, 03:59 PM

The thing was, I went waltzing into the police station all cock-a-hoop, intending to teach the locals a bit about better publicity for their castle, but emerged thoroughly chastened 5 mins later!

Jim

That'll teach you. :D

Reminds me of the time I travelled down to the smoke early one morning for a corporate bash at the Savoy, feeling very smug to have been invited - except I had misread the invitation and was a day early. :o:o:o

TimP
3rd September 2018, 05:41 PM
We turned up for a John Otway & Wild Willy Barrett gig at a nearby village hall, parked up and walked to the place to be met by a small child who ran back into the hall shouting “someone’s coming!” all excited. Turns out we were a week late and had arrived at a cheese and wine event!

MJ224
3rd September 2018, 05:52 PM

Jim

The Welsh just luv that...……….Sais is what they call English, and its not complimentary. Never had a problem myself...

Despite living in Wales for 40+ years, my HOME is Norfolk...………...*chr