PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie, and a question!

DanH56
18th March 2009, 07:25 AM
Hello Folks,

Nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum, and to using DSLR cameras, so everything is a challenge to me right now!

As well as getting together some DSLR kit I am also looking at Photo organising and editing software. It would seem from what I read online that Photoshop Elements 7 is the obvious default choice, but are there any other packages I should have a look at before I purchase?

Regards

Dan

mike_j
18th March 2009, 08:23 AM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You will get some software with your camera, generally it's OK but quite limited. For starters I would download Picasa - very easy to use and has most features that people use. It's FREE from Google.

Elements is good at a slightly more advanced level.

DanH56
18th March 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks, much appreciated. I will do some downloading later on tonight.

HughofBardfield
18th March 2009, 03:00 PM
For organising, although it's expensive, it's worth looking at Lightroom if you're serious about your prohotgraphy and are likely to end up with lots of images. While it's not a full blown editor, I find it's all I need 90% of the time.

I think it's still available as a free trial.

I've never used Picasa, but some people swear by it. Faststone also has fans on this forum.

You don't actually need to purchase any software, especially if you're just starting out. There are plenty of free packages available (see numerous discussions on this very forum). It's definitely worth downloading The GIMP (free editing software - does almost everything Photoshop can, albeit with a less friendly interface) and Raw Therapee (free RAW file - ORF in Olympus-speak - converter with some useful bells and whistles like highlight recovery).

MarkVarley
18th March 2009, 03:34 PM
Software:
For organising I have a folder for each year, inside that I put all the photos from a shoot in a folder named-
yyyy-mm-dd-subject
and inside the folder are four more folders-
'RAW' - obvious one that,
'Tiff' - edited and finished images in full-size tiff,
'jpg' - full-size 200dpi's for printing,
'web' - 700px 72dpi's for website use.

for quick previewing images we use irfanview (free for non-commercial use) as it's very fast, we also use this for batch resizing, converting and renaming.

Raws are batch loaded into Photoshop CS4 via Adobe Camera Raw, this is an expensive option and photoshop elements or lightroom are cheaper alternatives, others will know them better than me.

There are a few other bits of software that are used for various things, 'portrait professional' and 'winwatermark' for example.

DanH56
18th March 2009, 10:33 PM
I am thinking you guys know your stuff. I reckon I have basic software sorted for now - but will be bearing in mind some of the more advanced suggestions made as I progress. Thanks to all of you.

shenstone
18th March 2009, 11:47 PM
There are some useful utilities and software choices desctiebd in this thread

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4792

I use faststone for simple stuff, Imatch for advanced cataloguing and Paintshop Pro or Photoshop CS3 for something specifically more advanced

Elements is a good all round starting point though

Regards
Andy